foreign titles in bundles

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 509
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 28 2016 2:34 PM

Anyone who uses scholarly secondary sources for Biblical study soon encounters the vast amount of scholarly Biblical and theological works that are written in French and German particularly, but there are other languages as well.

In the past, Logos has included some foreign titles in their bundles, particularly the classic commentary bundles.  I have really appreciated getting what works I could in other languages, but I think Logos has stopped doing this.

Please do it again.  There is too much good stuff out there, and it's not getting published any other way apparently.

Thank you.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 28 2016 5:17 PM

Larry Craig:
Please do it again.  There is too much good stuff out there, and it's not getting published any other way apparently.

I agree.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9944
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 28 2016 5:31 PM

Larry Craig:
In the past, Logos has included some foreign titles in their bundles, particularly the classic commentary bundles.  

When was that?  I don't recall any.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 509
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 28 2016 5:38 PM

I have a number of them.  Look at collections of the pastoral epp, James, and I think Peter.  I'm sure there are others as well.

And I remember distinctly a note saying No More.  Maybe because they were working on having a German base package, but that is geared for German speaking students, not for the thousands of English speaking scholars who want to consult foreign works.

Posts 374
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 28 2016 7:06 PM

I would very much agree that there is real value for people to be able to access the scholarship of those who don't write in English. If the reader knows that language or can get a translation that would be a great advantage for them.

Yet I have a real reservation about mixing foreign language texts with English texts in bundles for people like myself who do not speak or write any foreign language. For me, mixing different language texts (except perhaps Hebrew and Greek texts and translations for Bible studies)  in that way could represent a lowering of the value of the bundle itself. If one foreign language text is included in a bundle of 10 books, it represents to me 10% of the bundle that I cannot read and so an effective loss of that value.

I welcome Faithlife projects that have translated foreign language texts into English and if they are relevant to my interests I would buy them. However, I am unlikely to buy a foreign language text no matter how famous the author.

I'm sure there are ways to keep everyone happy. One option might be to bundle foreign language texts together and sell those as a package so that those who read that language can enjoy the appropriate discounts without disadvantaging others by mixing and matching languages.  Keep well  Paul   

Posts 9944
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 28 2016 9:08 PM

Paul:
Yet I have a real reservation about mixing foreign language texts with English texts in bundles for people like myself who do not speak or write any foreign language. For me, mixing different language texts (except perhaps Hebrew and Greek texts and translations for Bible studies)  in that way could represent a lowering of the value of the bundle itself. If one foreign language text is included in a bundle of 10 books, it represents to me 10% of the bundle that I cannot read and so an effective loss of that value.

Look at it as an incentive and an opportunity.  You can learn the language to be able to read the resource.  Big Smile

Perhaps you can even generate a new transliteration scheme such as "Highligkite" for "Heligkeit."  Stick out tongue

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 509
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2016 1:33 AM

The bundles I have gotten so far were all on community pricing where the prices per volume was inconsequential.  Apart from one German set and a German Bible, this has been the only way I have been able to get any foreign titles.  Apparently there is not enough interest to fund most foreign titles by themselves.

I have suggested ways in the past where this can be done, but apparently Logos showed no interest in my ideas.

Posts 709
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2016 2:05 PM

I just received a reminder about a CP package that's been around for a while:

https://www.logos.com/product/39455/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-luke-upgrade

It contains a few such titles.

Posts 509
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2016 2:10 PM

Thank you.  Forgot about that one.  Less than $2 a book.  I sent Logos lists of titles that I am hoping they will publish some time.

Posts 709
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2016 3:08 PM

A couple years ago or so (before personnel reductions at FL), I was involved in a brief discussion in one of these forums about some of the CP offerings. It seemed to me that some of the CP offerings were getting  less and less important and that part of that situation is logical since you can only introduce, say, the 10 greatest books once. A FL rep asked me to send to them a list of PD books that I'd like to see offered. I think I never did that because German and French volumes (for that matter, even classical Greek volumes) never seem to get much traction on CP. I'd love to see stuff by F. C. Baur, Wrede, and others in CP, but I don't think they'd ever move. There are problems not only of language, but interest for lots of other reasons.

Yet, I would be interested to know what you sent to them. Would you care to share them with me?

Lew

Posts 709
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2016 3:10 PM

There is a similar collection that's languishing in CP on Matthew's gospel that includes a sibling volume by Wellhausen as well as others.

Posts 509
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2016 4:12 PM

Sure, let me look them up.

Posts 509
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2016 4:27 PM

I have offered some suggestions about how to clean up CP, but nothing happened.  I suggested that after, say, one year, Logos add up all the bids and offer to publish the book with each person's highest bid.  If, of course, the total bids were high enough.  I would gladly pay a lot more for certain titles just to get them published.

After a certain time, let us know how much more money is needed for a particular title.  I am sure some people would up their bid or even just contribute toward the amount.

Posts 509
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2016 4:31 PM

I found two overlapping list, which i will just paste here as I sent them.  I also sent lists to the people at Logos working on their German and French packages.  I can't find those lists, but they included a number of journals, like  ZNW, ZAW, Revue Biblique

I know this is a long shot, but if I didn’t try, I would regret it.

I believe Logos is the premier Bible software.  I know there are quite a few other software programss, but I think you are the largest.  I think you are also the one that scholars would use most.

I really hope you can expand to other languages.  Bible scholars soon learn to work with French and German, because so many good resources are in those languages and not translated into English.  You have said that commentaries are your most popular resources, so I am hoping you can start working on these. 

I would suggest perhaps doing more individual volumes even though they come in sets.  If a set has 15 volumes in it, you might get bids of $30, and it would take an awful lot of bids to get what it would take to publish the set.  If the volumes were offered singly, you could easily get $10 a book, = to $150 for the set.  The bidding would also go much faster.

I would also recommend with this that you offer some good dictionaries in German and French.  Many of us would need this, and it would help to broaden the market.

Langenscheidt would be good in both languages, and possibly Murat and Sanders also in German.

As for German sets, I would recommend the following, in no particular order:

Kritisch-exegetischer Kommentar über das Neues Testament

This is the set that HAW Meyer’s commentary was translated from.  Many of the volumes have been redone by other scholars later on, but even the older volumes are still valuable.  That is, offering edition 6 and 7 of the same book but by different authors would not be redundant.

Der Evangelist Matthäus   by Adolph Schlatter

Theologischer Handkommentar zum Neuen Testament

Biblischer Kommentar Altes Testament

Kommentar zum Alten Testament

Handkommentar zum Alten Testament

Kurzgefasstes exegetisches Handbuch zum Alten Testament

Herders Theologischer Kommentar zum Neuen Testament

Strack Billerbeck Kommentar zum Neuen Testament

Theologischer Handkommentar zum Neuen Testament

Etudes Bibliques

Handbuch zum Neuen Testament

Thank you.  I really hope you do something with this.  Many scholars will thank you for this.

Göttinger Handkommentar zum Alten Testament

Genesis              Hermann Gunkel

Handbuch zum Alten Testament

Exodus             Georg Beer/Galling

Leviticus           Kurt Elliger

Joshua              Martin Noth

Ezra                  Wilhelm Rudolph

Kurzer Hand-commentar zum Alten Testament

Daniel               Karl Marti

Herders Bibelkommentar

Ezekiel              Mienrad Schumpp        

Exegetisches Handbuch zum Alten Testament

Kurzgefasstes Handbuch zum Alten Testament

Evangelisch-katholischer Kommentar

Hand-kommentar zum Neuen Testament

John                 H J Holtzmann

Regensburger Neues Testament

John                 Josef Schmid

Das Neue Testament Deutsch

Erläuterungen zum Neuen Testament

Sigmund Mowinckel                  Psalmenstudien

Alexander von Bulmerincq          Kommentar zum Buche des Propheten Maleachi

Otto Kuss                     Der Römerbrief übersetzt und erklärt

H Schlier                       Der Brief an die Epheser: Ein Kommentar, Romans

Liudger                         Zephanja

August Köhler               Die Nachexilischen Propheten

Hans-Martin Lutz        Jahwe, Jerusalem und die Völker

Lars Rignell                   Die Nachtgesichts des Sacharja

Robert Brunner             Sacharja   Zürcher Bibelkommentare

Magne Saebo                Sacharja 9-14

August Köhler               Die Nachexilischer Propheten

Karl Heinrich Graf        Der Prophet Jeremia erklärt

A DeWilde                    Das Buch Hiob                         Oudtestamenische Studien   Deel XXII

D Johannes Bachmann  Richter

Adolf Schlatter               Revelation, Matthew, Luke, Romans

Rosario Morandino       Der Erste und der Letze   Supplements to Vetus Testamentum XXXI  Leiden:Brill

Laur. Reinke                  Die Weissagung der Jungfrau und von Immanuel

Günther Reim               Studien zum Alttestmentlichen Hintergrung des Johannesevangeliums

Adolf Schlatter               Luke

Paul Gaechter                Matthew

Georg Strecker              Die Bergpredigt

D G Stöckhardt            Romans, Ephesians

A Tholuck                     Romans

Johannes Belser             Ephesians, Pastoral Epp.

Friedrich Bleek              Vorlesungen  Ephesisns

Heinrich Holtzmann      Pastoral Epp.

Franz Mußner               Geistliche Schriftlesung   Colossians

Wolfgang Schenk           Philippians

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS