Pottery Enthusiasts and Slim Pickings

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9380
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 29 2016 7:58 PM

Whenever I see a subject sitting on the margins, I try to create a thread for the lonely souls interested.

Here in the southwest US, pottery is a virtual industry, both modern artists, and archaelogical writings, display, dating, etc.  Expert or curious, widely available, and inexpensive to learn about.

Palestine, not so easy. Basically, you're looking at https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Pottery-Holy-Land-Beginnings/dp/0813506344/  which is getting a bit long on tooth, location specific books (eg Qumran), or journal articles in need of organizing.

But if you'd like to get a very nice Logos taste, take a look at https://www.logos.com/product/9398/sociology-of-pottery-in-ancient-palestine-the-ceramic-industry-and-the-diffusion-of-ceramic-style-in-the-bronze-and-iron-ages 

Quite interesting and surprising. He works with archaeological data where available, and then more modern data, for fill-in-the-blanks. Deals with the physicality of making pottery, plus how organized and distributed.  Quite detailed. 

Here's an interesting statement:

"It has been noted that ceramic morphology changes with time and this morphological variation allows the ceramic typologist to date pottery within a fairly narrow time range, usually 25–50 years. It has also been noted that morphological changes seem to occur simultaneously and at the same rate all across Palestine."   That has a lot of implications ... the distribution part.

Bonus: Logos is cheaper than Amazon. Tagged too!

Posts 8343
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 30 2016 8:55 AM

Thanks for pointing out this book Denise. I actually have it in my library but had never taken a close look at it.

Is it my imagination that the illustrations are fuzzy or is it just my eyes? Here is an example.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9944
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 30 2016 10:34 AM

Bruce Dunning:
Is it my imagination that the illustrations are fuzzy or is it just my eyes? Here is an example.

It might be a tad fuzzy, but not too bad.  Are you sure you're holding your mouth right?  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9380
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 30 2016 10:45 AM

Hard to say, given the image likely has gone thru several condencings between the digital book, you, and now to me.

But comparing below, yours top, mine bottom, the text is the most obvious ... if I were to guess, it was blurred before the publisher got it. Just guessing.

However, the author explains the illustrations much better than most of my archaeological pottery books. So, maybe he's a do-it-yourselfer!

Posts 9944
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 30 2016 11:02 AM

Denise:

Hard to say, given the image likely has gone thru several condencings between the digital book, you, and now to me.

But comparing below, yours top, mine bottom, the text is the most obvious ... if I were to guess, it was blurred before the publisher got it. Just guessing.

However, the author explains the illustrations much better than most of my archaeological pottery books. So, maybe he's a do-it-yourselfer!

It would have been more plain if you had used the same illustration as Bruce.

What about me, me, me ?  OK, enough silliness.  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS