Missing morph tagging in new Loeb volumes

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 4
gregory barton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 25 2018 9:13 PM

Dear Mj Smith,

Thank you for your polite response. Yes perhaps I have been severe.  If I get a refund I will be happy. To explain, I did indeed enter the forum from a google search, looking for Loeb library books.  But to give me some credit, look at the website in question.

https://www.logos.com/product/55968/loeb-classical-library-builder

You can see, that it certainly looks like like physical volumes from top to bottom, except for the small print, in faded gray. The books are even listed as "owned" which would clearly indicate used books.  I am sure coming from the outside made the web page all the more convincing that these were....well...books. 

Warm Regards. 

PS so you know Im not a crank and that I order constantly, you can check my own books online under Gregory A. Barton and see that I would indeed order quite a bit for my own research.  I am not easily mistaken on book ordering. I just think the page could be clearer. Thanks again for your kind response.

Posts 265
Michel Pauw | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 26 2019 10:45 PM

Greg F:

Is this the Iliad text you used? That one happens to be the only non-Bible-related Greek text I'm aware of that has complete morphological tagging done by a human being, which explains why you were finding precise morphological information and not just a list of different possibilities as per Augustine's Confessions.

How do you know that that one is done by a human? Do you infer that from the quality of the tagging?

Also, how would one go about if there is somebody interested in doing such a manual morphological tagging?

Posts 26117
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2019 1:46 AM

Michel Pauw:
Also, how would one go about if there is somebody interested in doing such a manual morphological tagging?

Usually one starts with parsing software and makes corrections.

https://wiki.digitalclassicist.org/Morphological_parsing_or_lemmatising_Greek_and_Latin is a good starting point for tracking down software, methodologies, et.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 265
Michel Pauw | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2019 2:35 AM

Interesting!

However, I would like to know how to go about if I have somebody / a team that would occasionally work on morphological tagging for Logos on Greek resources that we are actually using. Any thoughts?

Posts 273
Greg F | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2019 4:00 AM

Michel Pauw:
How do you know that that one is done by a human? Do you infer that from the quality of the tagging?

I seem to remember the project description talking about how this text was made, but it's true that now it's not clear that this text was edited "by hand" by someone.

Below is from the introduction by John J. Jackson:

Preface

My purpose has been to produce an interlinear that is both inductive and deductive in approach, allowing the student to quickly read large amounts of Greek or Latin, and provide a platform for comprehensive study. I find the Libronix Library System to be perfectly suited for this task and am proud to make an addition to the library.
John J. Jackson
[...]

The text of Monro and Allen’s 1920 edition of the Iliad contains a total of 111,862 words, generated from 21,418 unique wordforms. These, when lemmatized, yield 18,430 unique dictionary headwords.  
Upon further analysis we find 12766 unambiguous forms (those with only one morphological parse). Forms of this type were parsed by the use of an automatic parser thus reducing the corpus to 8,652 ambiguous wordforms. Additionally we find that wordform to lemma assignment exhibit fewer than 200 ambiguous relationships.
In addition to an automatic parser, lexicon driven knowledge based systems were created to resolve areas not handled by the parser.

So it would appear that automatic parsing was also used on this text, albeit with more human attention..

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS