ESV Permanent Text Edition 2016

Page 4 of 6 (113 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 112 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 1055
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2016 10:26 AM

Donnie Hale:

Kyle G. Anderson:
We discussed something like this but unfortunately it does not look like it will be able to happen at this time.

If this has been answered before, my apologies. Will this version of ESV be a new resource, or will it completely replace the current ESV resource? I much prefer that it be a new resource. And, if it is, the text comparison tool will make the changes pretty apparent.

Donnie

It will replace the current ESV resource.

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2016 12:20 PM

Donnie Hale:
a helpful summary of the situation

Excellent article thanks for sharing

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 1896
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 5:32 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:
It will replace the current ESV resource

Is that a requirement of the publisher? Or a FL decision? If the latter, can it be reconsidered? Obviously, I don't know all the implications.

Thanks for answering,

Donnie

Posts 1055
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 7:47 AM

Donnie Hale:

Kyle G. Anderson:

Is that a requirement of the publisher? Or a FL decision? If the latter, can it be reconsidered? Obviously, I don't know all the implications.

Thanks for answering,

Donnie

I can't go into all the details but essentially its the former.

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 8:02 AM

Will the High Definition versions from Faithlife also have the text update to this level?

Posts 10339
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 9:23 AM

In the religious world of publisher-enforced translation, nothing like Libby and her CDs.  Yawn.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 9:46 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Donnie Hale:

Kyle G. Anderson:

Thanks for answering,

Donnie

I can't go into all the details but essentially its the former.

Dreaming of publishers allowing inline interlinears with textual variants: ESV, HCSB (CSB), NAB (NABRE), NASB (NASB95), NIV, NLT

Unfortunately, previously printed bibles and memorized verses do not automatically update to new "permanent" revisions so having textual variants available for use in Faithlife apps and applications would be appreciated by many.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1896
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 10:10 AM

Denise:
In the religious world of publisher-enforced translation, nothing like Libby and her CDs.  Yawn.

I now believe that these posts are actually from a bot. Time to apply a Turing test...

Smile

-Donnie

Posts 10339
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 10:45 AM

Chicken Little, here.

Posts 664
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 7:51 AM

I'm not a fan of the changes they made to Gen 3:16 and 4:7 but all of the other changes seem to be just tweaks to get things closer to the original languages.  Glad I just bought a print copy of the 2011 text.  I was hoping Logos would provide the permanent edition as a separate text but alas, no. Here are more perspectives on the change for those interested.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/jesuscreed/2016/09/12/the-new-stealth-translation-esv/

https://myonlycomfort.com/2016/09/08/genesis-316/

https://claudemariottini.com/2016/09/12/the-permanent-text-of-the-esv/

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 9:23 AM

In light of the textual revisions, will a new edition of the ESV Study Bible be released?  If so, will our Logos edition of the study Bible be updated to reflect the changes? 

Posts 9019
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 2:52 PM

Daniel Yoder:

In light of the textual revisions, will a new edition of the ESV Study Bible be released?  If so, will our Logos edition of the study Bible be updated to reflect the changes? 

That is a reasonable expectation.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8
Jennifer Jolene | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 6:19 PM

So the new translation leads the reader to believe that God "tempts" women to sin via the curse. Unlikely. 

God tempts no one to sin.  James 1:13.

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 6:20 PM

Jennifer Jolene:

So the new translation leads the reader to believe that God "tempts" women to sin via the curse. Unlikely. 

God tempts no one to sin.  James 1:13.

www.christiandiscourse.com

Posts 10339
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 8:24 PM

Jennifer ... ChristianDiscourse.com is the forum's order to go sit in the corner.

But your forum image is quite apropo. I was impressed.

I suspect the ESV committee's antics with the silly 'perminent' and the comparison to the venerated KJV is a bit transparent. I know for sure at our church, the translation will be tainted due to forcing the wording so obviously. Much like the JW's.

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 6:16 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Daniel Yoder:

That is a reasonable expectation.

Thanks for the reply, Bruce.  

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2016 10:12 AM

From @KateShellnut: The popular ESV Bible text will be updated and changing after all:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2016/september/crossway-reverses-decision-esv-bible-text-permanent-mistake.html

Posts 9019
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2016 11:24 AM

James McAdams:

From @KateShellnut: The popular ESV Bible text will be updated and changing after all:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2016/september/crossway-reverses-decision-esv-bible-text-permanent-mistake.html

That's quite the reversal.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1054
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2016 12:03 PM

James McAdams:

That's interesting. I'm actually kind of glad that they're willing to keep changing along with the language--so they can keep finding a sweet spot between dynamic and formal equivalence (perhaps. I know that's in the eye of the beholder).

However, I'm not sure the permanent text "issue" was the controversial one. 

Posts 10339
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2016 12:41 PM

Mr Gabriel, I agree with your last statement.

Though I thought their earlier reasoning was foolish, as well as their latest. They ref'd the KJV, even though the ESV would not be needed absent a new set of manuscripts a la Westcott. Now, they think they may wish to modernize the english, again presuming the monestaries have revealed the final  desert manuscripts.  Even the supporting denominations don't propose the present manuscripts are correct, and hope for earlier.

Page 4 of 6 (113 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS