Orthodox material

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 16
James Filler | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 4 2010 11:04 AM

I would LOVE to see a few Orthodox works included. I know the Orthodox aren't a HUGE demographic, but I have to think some of our materials would be of interest to non-Orthodox, at least from an academic standpoint, and to Catholics from, perhaps, a more than academic standpoint.

I'm thinking of things like The Philokalia, Evergetinos, Sayings of the Desert Fathers, to name a few that go back to before there were any of these divisions (Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox). They have all been translated into English, but having them in both English and the original would be absolutely awesome! And more recently, there are some excellent dogmatic works in English (by such people as Lossky, Staniloae, Harakas, etc.) and some great works on asceticism by St Theophan the Recluse and others, and also, The Way of the Pilgrim.

Please help us poor humble Orthodox out. :D

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 5:17 PM

One item that might be easier to get would be the Nelson published Orthodox Study Bible (it uses a special version of NKJV, and newly translated apocrypha books). It;s not a huge work but defiantly  something i would gladly purchase (especially if you get the Bible translation too).

-Dan

Posts 27
Brandon Vaughn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 6:30 PM

I honestly would pay the full price of Logos Gold all over again to have access to these resources.

This is the weakest area in all of the offerings that Logos has.

What amazes me (and I'm not Orthodox) is just how MUCH there is out there!  Since mainstream bookstores don't carry their stuff, I always thought there were just a handful of books.  There isn't.  Libraries of stuff, many of which are really interesting and insightful.

I wouldn't hold my breath these seing the light of day in Logos, sadly.

Blessings,
Brandon

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 6:56 PM

I have a high interest in this.  Sadly, my library--Logos or hardcopy--is sadly lacking here.  I did get a volume of "Ancient Christian Writers", John Cassian's "The Conferences."

I was bitterly disappointed to have to forgo the recent Baker Theology set in the eleventh hour of pre-pub, which had to volumes about Eastern Orthodoxy.

Been reading "Ancient Future WOrship" by Robert Webber in Logos who attributes much of his awareness of renewal/joy in the "recapitulation" theory, which the early Eastern Fathers wrestled with, of Christus Viktor.  creation-incarnation-re creation

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 7:46 PM

JamesFiller:
I'm thinking of things like The Philokalia

well, i am thinking of it too.  look what came across my Logos reading tonight:

hey, it's a start!  Can you imagine that link LIVE!?!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 16
James Filler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 7:48 PM

See Logos? There IS a market for this stuff!

Posts 16
James Filler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 8:17 PM

Hey Daniel,

Yeah, it would be fairly easy to get that, I would think, but I gotta say, and I'm embarrassed to say it, but I find the Orthodox Study Bible really rather useless. The materials included, even the notes on the passages, really lack anything of substance. The notes , for the most part, are really un-insightful, and much of the other material is really basic. Now they did do a brand new translation for the OT, and the translation itself would be worth having, but I bought a copy and after a while, I just went "blech" and put it aside.

Now there is a translation of the NT, which was made at Holy Apostles Convent in Buena Vista, CO. (After looking on their web site www.holyapostlesconvent.org, they seem to have a lot of other cool stuff too.) This, in my opinion, is way better than the OSB NT. The notes are thick with the Fathers as well as textual criticism and comments on alternative readings in different manuscripts. Just way cool.

So Logos, if you need someone to work on developing Orthodox materials for Logos Bible Software...  I could use a good job, and I would love doing it. hint hint :D

Posts 112
T MacLeod | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 6:21 AM

I'd love to see this, too. I'm not Orthodox, but I've found a lot of Orthodox writings to be very edifying. The Philokalia would be a great start.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS