Searching forums from web apps is failing

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 754
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 13 2016 2:01 PM

I have attempted to search for information in the Logos Forums.  My search requests result in the error page.  My attempts have used:

Windows Surface Book - Windows 10 - Firefox

Windows Surface Book - Windows 10 - MS Edge 25

Dell Latitude laptop - Windows 7 - Firefox

Posts 21847
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 13 2016 2:40 PM

David A Egolf:
I have attempted to search for information in the Logos Forums.  My search requests result in the error page.  My attempts have used:

It's working for me - with Chrome and Edge on Windows 10.

Do other web searches work? Is it possible you have a firewall issue?

Posts 754
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 13 2016 2:56 PM

Thanks for trying, Graham.

The only thing working for me is a search for "installation".  I am even having the problem with my iPad.

Posts 754
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 13 2016 11:04 PM

Hi Graham,

I just noticed your other suggestions.  Since this fails on my iPad, my Surface Book, and my Dell laptop (Windows 7), it must be something of a general nature.

I am working from a private residence with a fairly new DSL router which, by all measures appears healthy.  All my other uses of the internet have not been a problem.  I regularly employ a VPN to our office network which works great.  However, this searching problem is with and without the VPN in place.

Just for fun, I opened an Xwindow shell on one of our lab machines and tried a search.  I get the same result.  I'm beginning to believe that it is something to do with my account.  For instance, I do not have a Logos Now subscription.

Posts 21847
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 13 2016 11:14 PM

David A Egolf:

Just for fun, I opened an Xwindow shell on one of our lab machines and tried a search.  I get the same result.  I'm beginning to believe that it is something to do with my account.  For instance, I do not have a Logos Now subscription.

You could be on to something 

I just tried when using an account without a base package or Logos Now subscription and get the error you describe

However, even with this account I can successfully search using Google as a search engine as per https://wiki.logos.com/Using_the_Forum#Searching_the_forum_using_Google. And this is normally a better way of searching!

Posts 754
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 14 2016 9:36 AM

I had forgotten about using the site: search of Google.  It works with Duckduckgo, as well. [This is a search engine which promises to respect your privacy.]  I employed this search technology and was delighted to see an article on top which addressed my issue!  However, it turned out to be my post from yesterday. :(

I did, however, locate a long-standing thread on Surface devices.  Touch pad usage was one of the issues.  So I put in my two cents worth.

Thanks for the help, Graham!

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2016 11:40 AM

I just ran in to this same error trying to search forums:

Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!

Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred. We apologize and have logged the error. Please try your request again or if you know who your site administrator is let them know too.

I get same results in multiple browsers, trying various search terms. Tried from my W10 PC over DSL & from my Samsung S5 phone over cell connection.

Posts 754
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2016 11:50 AM

Randy,

Do you have Logos Now? 

David

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2016 11:53 AM

David A Egolf:
Do you have Logos Now? 

Yes, I do have Logos Now.

Posts 754
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2016 1:37 PM

So, how do we draw the attention of someone from Faithlife?

Posts 295
LogosEmployee
Toby Steele (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2016 7:58 AM

Gentlemen--

I've been testing on multiple browsers on Mac, PC, and different flavors of mobile. So far, I've been unable to reproduce.

Is there anything more you can tell me about the kind of search terms you're using (including any punctuation)? Also, if you could let me know if you're attempting searches from the forum list page, from an individual thread, or from a specific forum page. Any and all details help.

Thanks!

Posts 295
LogosEmployee
Toby Steele (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2016 7:59 AM

David A Egolf:
I'm beginning to believe that it is something to do with my account.

David, what happens if you sign into the forums and search with an incognito or private window?

Posts 21847
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2016 8:45 AM

Toby Steele (Faithlife):
Is there anything more you can tell me about the kind of search terms you're using (including any punctuation)? Also, if you could let me know if you're attempting searches from the forum list page, from an individual thread, or from a specific forum page. Any and all details help.

Running the search below from an account without any base package or Logos Now subscription

results in 

Running the same search from my normal account - with base packages and a Logos Now subscription is successful.

Does this help at all?

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2016 9:02 AM

W10. Chrome 52.0.2743.116 m. Have Logos Base Packages & Logos Now.

From the search box at the top of: https://community.logos.com/forums/TopicsActive.aspx

These searches complete:

Note the intentional misspellings in parens in both lists below also produce the same result as the correct spellings.

• omega (also omage)
  • recovery (also rocovery)
  • encyclopedia
  • vyrso
  • noet
  • lexicon

These fail:

• faithlife
  • bible (also boble)
  • logos
  • when (also whan)
  • question
  • topic

EDIT: All results duplicated in Firefox 47.0.1.

Posts 754
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2016 10:25 AM

None of my search terms have been complex.  Individual words or "search for information", as suggested by Graham.  They were all failing.  This would be from the search box at the top of the normal forum page.

Oddly, the one search that did succeed was for the word "installation". (I have no idea how I stumbled upon this.)  Since that search succeeds, it leaves me a search results page.  All searches from that page did fail.

PLEASE NOTE THE ABOVE IS IN THE PAST TENSE!  SEARCHING SEEMS TO BE "WORKING" THIS MORNING.

Common searches appear to be working.  They are working on my laptop and my iPad.  However, again, oddly enough, "search for information" still fails. 

My original search for information on "Microsoft Surface keyboards" now works.  So, other than "search for information" not working, I am happy.

Posts 754
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2016 10:26 AM

Is it working for you, Randy?  BTW: Thanks for chiming in!

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2016 12:56 PM

David A Egolf:

Is it working for you, Randy?

Unfortunately, I still get the same results as in my last post above.

I get the same results you describe in your last post. "search for information" fails (so does "search" and "for", individually; "information" succeeds), "microsoft surface keyboards", and "installation" succeed.

Posts 754
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2016 4:46 PM

Things have gone weirder!  The searches on "Microsoft Surface keyboard" continue to work, now.  For that, I am happy.

But, I revisit Randy's list and get extremely similar results.  The items on the "working" list at the top, generally work.  The one exception is that "encyclopedia" does NOT work for me.  Also, none of the search terms on the bottom work.

It might be interesting to see whether "encyclopedia" works for Randy, now.  Maybe this has to do with time of day or composition of the search results.

I tried "Posted" expecting a very large results group.  It was over 500 pages of results, but it worked.

I could have sworn that "Logos" was working for me this morning.  It does not work now.

"omega" returns fewer results than "omage".  It appears that there is some sort of smart search invoked which concludes the "omage" should return hits on "image".

All my current results are on Firefox 47.0.  I did verify that the desired "Microsoft Surface keyboard" search now works on my iPad 2.

Posts 754
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2016 5:31 PM

While we're on the topic, I want to point out that Graham is probably right to suggest an external engine like Google.  The searches are more precise.

The Logos searches appear to be "smart".  Unfortunately, I KNOW what I want to find.  When I search for "omage", it is because I want strings included with the characters 'o' + 'm" + 'a' + 'g' + 'e'.  For the search engine to return "image" results implies strongly that it is "SMART" and I am "DUMB".

When I get a fresh install of Microsoft Word, the first thing I do is turn off "smart" cut and paste.  I really do not wish to copy an entire word if I have highlighted only part of it.  The Logos search facility is also casting too wide a net and clutters up the results which makes me look at too many useless responses.

Just for fun, I searched for "Egolf".  The results included posts with the words " golf" and even "Adolf" prioritized above posts which actually included "Egolf".  This wastes our time!!

Google does some of this, but I can target the searches somewhat by placing a '+' character in front of terms which must be present to win.

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2016 5:51 AM

David A Egolf:
It might be interesting to see whether "encyclopedia" works for Randy, now.  Maybe this has to do with time of day or composition of the search results.

This was more likely an error on my part. In my notes I did put encyclopedia in the OK column, but I was at work and hurrying through some tests, so I may have made an error.

Can some more people test the searches above and confirm whether they work or not. Here is a post today for someone else experiencing search problems:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/129175/839270.aspx#839270

Most of us know and use google to search most of the time if it's not a very simple search, but it would be nice to see this working before L7. Forums get very busy & crazy and filled with non-regulars.

EDIT: When I was testing words I was wondering if failure was related to very large result sets or some internal keyword list. I don't see how it could be account related unless perhaps it works for users with either different forum permissions, moderators, or beta testers, maybe with access to hidden protected forums (ie a clash between searches and forum permissions). Maybe it doesn't fail from the Faithlife HQ network but fails from outside networks? Just random guesses without more test results...

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS