How Will Logos/Faithlife Handle This?

Page 10 of 10 (196 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10
This post has 195 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 147
C.E.H. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 19 2016 5:52 AM

Jack Caviness:

I like the line my grandson appends to every email—at least the ones he send me. He puts it in quotes, but does not  say from whom it came—

It’s amazing what people can accomplish when they have no concern for who receives the credit.”

It seems that Harry S. Truman, John Wooden and Blanton Collier said: "It's amazing how much can be accomplished if no one cares who gets the credit."

But Charles Edward Montague, an English novelist (1867-1928) already wrote 1922 in Chapter 15 of Disenchantment: "There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it."

Probably in this thread it's not wrong to name my source Wink http://forum.quoteland.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/99191541/m/7123950067

Posts 184
Al Het | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 19 2016 7:10 AM

Joseph Turner:
Would you feel the same if a music artist put a song on his or her album that was actually recorded by someone else?

While I think you are trying to illustrate by implying one artist putting the actual recording of another group on their album, a variation of this is pretty standard in the music industry, including among Christian artists.  It is common for a person or band to record someone else's song on their own album.  It is called "covering" another person's songs, and for many, it might add to the argument that what O'Brian did might not be particularly bad.

You might be able to extend the illustration to say, what if the second artist listed himself as the writer on his album cover, and get near this situation. 

That said, the common reality in the music industry is that when the one covering the song is much more popular than the artist who first recorded it, many/most people never realize who the original source is. 

For what it's worth.

Posts 10817
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 19 2016 8:25 AM

Al Het:
That said, the common reality in the music industry is that when the one covering the song is much more popular than the artist who first recorded it, many/most people never realize who the original source is. 

Something like Blue Suede Shoes?(Elvis neither wrote it, nor we he the first to have it as a #1) Stick out tongue

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2016 12:34 PM

I found out my credit would be about $4.00, so certainly not enough to replace these commentaries. I'll just keep them in my library, flag them and tag them so I won't cite them in academic papers, and just use them for personal study.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2016 1:05 PM

Nathan Parker:

I found out my credit would be about $4.00, so certainly not enough to replace these commentaries. I'll just keep them in my library, flag them and tag them so I won't cite them in academic papers, and just use them for personal study.

Same. 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 8004
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2016 2:24 PM

I would love to see some of the people that whined about this whole situation take the four bucks credit and shut up or at least try to say something to see what other dumb things they will have to say LOL 😂 😜😁

DAL

Ps. FYI  my credit was way more than 4 bucks since I got those at prepub price hehe

Edit: I didn't take the credit, though, because the commentaries are useful regardless.  In fact, if I remember correctly, FL wrote a blog promoting Ceslas Spic on Hebrews and how O'Brien and others quoted him extensively. Great works!

Posts 2203
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2016 4:44 PM

Al Het:

Joseph Turner:
Would you feel the same if a music artist put a song on his or her album that was actually recorded by someone else?

While I think you are trying to illustrate by implying one artist putting the actual recording of another group on their album, a variation of this is pretty standard in the music industry, including among Christian artists.  It is common for a person or band to record someone else's song on their own album.  It is called "covering" another person's songs, and for many, it might add to the argument that what O'Brian did might not be particularly bad.

You might be able to extend the illustration to say, what if the second artist listed himself as the writer on his album cover, and get near this situation. 

For what it's worth.

Yeah, I'm a musician in a cover band.  Whenever you put someone else's song on your album, you are required to pay for the rights, even if you re-record it.  That is the acknowledgement to the person who wrote the song.  It's not yours just because you re-recorded it.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 8004
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2016 5:05 PM

Joseph Turner:

Al Het:

Joseph Turner:

For what it's worth.

Yeah, I'm a musician in a cover band.  Whenever you put someone else's song on your album, you are required to pay for the rights, even if you re-record it.  That is the acknowledgement to the person who wrote the song.  It's not yours just because you re-recorded it.

Actually, Josh is right. About a year or two ago Tom Petty sue a young artist named Sam Smith because his song "Stay With Me" sounded like Tom Petty's song "I Won't Back Down." Read: http://www.avclub.com/article/sam-smith-pay-tom-petty-royalties-basically-writin-214328

Tom Petty said, "No hard feelings. These things happen," but Sam Smith still had to pay 😜😁👍👌🤘http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-petty-on-sam-smith-settlement-no-hard-feelings-these-things-happen-20150129 

Sam Smith, however, said it was "complete coincidence." But he still has to pay royalties 😜😂 http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/sam-smith--tom-petty-settlement-20150126 

So Josh, what instrument do you play?

DAL

Posts 2203
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2016 5:52 PM

DAL:

Actually, Josh is right. About a year or two ago Tom Petty sue a young artist named Sam Smith because his song "Stay With Me" sounded like Tom Petty's song "I Won't Back Down." Read: http://www.avclub.com/article/sam-smith-pay-tom-petty-royalties-basically-writin-214328

Tom Petty said, "No hard feelings. These things happen," but Sam Smith still had to pay 😜😁👍👌🤘http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-petty-on-sam-smith-settlement-no-hard-feelings-these-things-happen-20150129 

Sam Smith, however, said it was "complete coincidence." But he still has to pay royalties 😜😂 http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/sam-smith--tom-petty-settlement-20150126 

So Josh, what instrument do you play?

DAL

I was thinking, "Josh is right?  Who is Josh?"  Stick out tongue  I play guitar in a Trans-Siberian Orchestra cover band called the Spirit Express Orchestra.  We play free shows at churches in the greater Birmingham area during Christmas.  It's a fun hobby, and it keeps my guitar skills up!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 8004
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2016 6:16 PM

Sorry, I meant Joseph. A friend of mine who was a missionary in Australia is named Joshua Turner and my mind swapped the names when writing it. 👍 We're good, though, right? 😜

Posts 2203
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2016 6:31 PM

DAL:

We're good, though, right? 😜

Yes, after few several years of counseling I will get over being called Josh, lol.  I teach high school.  I can assure you I've been called worse!

Posts 3051
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 24 2016 7:26 PM

Joseph Turner:
after few several years of counseling I will get over being called Josh, lol.

Not a bad name to be called....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGbSbAWp7Jo&list=PLIpMpv1NUMetNWifgQgMdvZlN_XWk7KRu

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 2:41 PM

Joseph Turner:

Al Het:

Joseph Turner:

For what it's worth.

This is true. When I released my Christmas album to be sold, I had to pay royalties for the cover songs I recorded. Wasn't fun to do, but it protected me. :-) Thankfully I used some public domain stuff too.

Nathan Parker

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 3:16 PM

DAL:

I would love to see some of the people that whined about this whole situation take the four bucks credit and shut up or at least try to say something to see what other dumb things they will have to say LOL 😂 😜😁

DAL

Ps. FYI  my credit was way more than 4 bucks since I got those at prepub price hehe

Edit: I didn't take the credit, though, because the commentaries are useful regardless.  In fact, if I remember correctly, FL wrote a blog promoting Ceslas Spic on Hebrews and how O'Brien and others quoted him extensively. Great works!

In terms of the credit, the only reason I was interested in the credit was if there'd be enough of an incentive for me to replace these with other academic commentaries. Since I'm in seminary and will be going for a PhD, I need to cite from quality academic commentaries, and while I have a boatload of commentaries, I am limited on how many technical academic commentaries I have. NIGTC and Pillar were two my seminary accepted as commentaries I could cite from. Now that three of those volumes I can no longer cite from, I would have been interested in replacing them with different academic/technical commentaries if the credit would have been enough to apply toward them. With $4.00 though, I'll just keep them and use them for personal studies and just purchase other academic commentaries on demand when I need them. Gettin Hermeneia in Platinum 7 have definitely helped.

Nathan Parker

Posts 361
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2016 6:19 PM

Very sad for to read this post. I was student under Peter O'Brien at Moore College in Sydney. Peter had just returned from England and was obviously totally impacted by his personal contact with FF Bruce.

His lectures were detailed analysis of the NT Greek text, with copious and more copious quotes from FF Bruce. I rudely asked him on one occasion "FF Who?" After a stare and a thought he realised my student rudeness.

We have always been on good terms.

Many of the quotes that Peter made were from lectures, private seminars and conversations with FFB. We realised we were right up with the latest because FFB had not yet published his work. I wonder whether Peter later included stuff in his commentary that he did not realise FFB had published. Just a thought.

Peter O'Brien has been (is) a wonderful leader in our church. I have read his commentaries with great reward, and his ploughed through his shared Variegated garden with patience.

I will continue to do the same.

Stephen Miller

Blue Mountains

Australia

Posts 31911
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2016 7:08 PM

Stephen Miller:
I wonder whether Peter later included stuff in his commentary that he did not realise FFB had published.

I don't know but standard academic practice would be for footnote FFB materials as "personal communication" if it were not published.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 10 of 10 (196 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 | RSS