New Feature: Sermon Editor

Page 8 of 13 (257 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
This post has 256 Replies | 27 Followers

Posts 60
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 28 2016 1:51 PM

I have a question/problem with the sermon editor that I wonder if anyone might be able to help me with.

Sometimes when I enter a bible passage reference such as Gen 1:1 it creates the slide with the text from the reference.

Other times when I type in the same reference, it simply treats the reference as simple text and does not create a slide with the verse text,

I can't seem to figure out what I am doing that is different.

Any thoughts

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 28 2016 2:15 PM

Alan,

If you type the reference and hit enter you get a slide.

If you type the reference and hit space you do not. Even if you hit space, then enter.  

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 60
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 28 2016 2:51 PM

Thanks.  That helps.

I have also found that it does not seem to recognize all abbreviations that logos typically does. 

For example I sometime have to type out Genesis rather than use Gen.

Not a big deal, just something I have become aware of.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 28 2016 3:15 PM

Interesting observation.  I note also that you have to capitalize.  John is not the same as john.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 258
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2016 8:33 AM

Tried out this feature for the first time and I really enjoyed using it even though I'll probably never use many of the features. I would like an option to only add the verse reference(s) to the slides rather than the whole verse. I like the sound of flipping pages, but having the reference easily available is really nice.

It also seems that over time the number of sermon docs will grow very large and it may become difficult to manage/find specific docs. Will there be folder or other management options added to help deal with this down the road?

Posts 21939
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2016 9:08 AM

danwdoo:
I would like an option to only add the verse reference(s) to the slides rather than the whole verse.

You can do this.

If you simply type the reference without pressing Enter then it, by default, just stays as text. You can then select that portion of text and apply "add slides from selected text"

which gives you

Posts 8
Bryan Davenport | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2016 1:27 PM

Thank you for this feature.

Question: When I copy and paste a quote from a resource sometimes I get an uneditable unit with a top citation. Other times, when I right click from the sermon doc vice <command> v, I get plain text with the usual citation below. Is there are way to transfer between these two formats without deleting and trying to paste again?

Thanks again!

Posts 11
Michael Woody | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2016 1:28 PM

I had this to and found a workaround. Insert a space before you paste and you will have the ability to choose the data included on the slide created or not create a slide at all.

Mike Woody

Posts 487
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 3:48 AM

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your drive to keep the formatting simple and effective for the sermon documents.  Also, for asking for feedback on the issues you raise. Here are some of my own thoughts.

Bob Pritchett:
We can just open up more styling... but how about opening it up in a style-sheet compatible way? For example, what if there are six font color choices, but internally they are 'Accent Color 1' through 'Accent Color 6'. They'd almost always be the same colors, but that wouldn't be a promise -- in another rendering context they might be different, though still all six unique, not-the-base-text colors.

I think that a style-sheet option would be a really excellent way forward, especially if we could save/load from different style-sheets (although I would just use one 99% of the time). 

Bob Pritchett:
And is it important that you can specify 72 pt text? Or can it be 'Big, Bigger, Biggest', etc? 

Basic style settings 'Big, Bigger, Biggest' on the program interface might be fine (I use 11pt but a 12pt paragraph text would be fine too), but if the size could be more accurately defined in a style sheet, that would be great.

Bob Pritchett:
Or people turn text red. Then change their mind and instead of turning it back to 'default' they set it to black, or something close to black. Then we need to render the sermon in a Proclaim notes field (or remote app), where the UI is reversed, and now it's black text on a black background.

I think the benefits outweigh the concerns (and of course you could use something like message alerts to address this when users choose certain colours).

Bob Pritchett:
Is there a short list of character level styles most people could agree to? (Just as we H1, H2, H3, Prompt, and Title are universal paragraph styles.)

I also use a 'Quote' (ctrl+alt+Q) style to distinguish quoted paragraphs (indented, italic, but still default text colour) from authors from my sermon text. But if a style-sheet or similar option were available I could use H5 for that.  That way, even if I miss out some of my own content, I can always see the important quotations and not miss them out too.

Bob Pritchett:
What do you call out a word or phase for? How do you mark things up beyond bold and italic WITHIN a paragraph, and how do you mark up paragraphs themselves? All caps? Bigger? Centered? 2-3 colors or 15 colors? Do the colors have semantic meaning -- does red always need to be red, or is it just to stand out?

I occasionally use underline to mark up certain words since bold doesn't stand out enough on the printed page or screen. Normally I don't mark up a paragraph for emphasis (other than indent or all italic for quotations) but instead give it a heading style. I don't use different colours within a paragraph, just different colours for the heading styles.

Another thought, would it be too much to ask to be able to assign a default image as the background to each text style, H1, H2, H3... paragraph text, instead of one default for the whole sermon? 

Posts 1
William Tanksley, Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 6:50 AM

I love the new minimalist editor, and although of course I'd be happy to see more features, I have to say that having a note-taking editor _in_ the study app is what I personally needed for my studies. I expect to use it a good deal!

However, right now it's really badly integrated with the rest of the app -- for me, the most surprising lack is the ability to do anything with references. You can't hover over them to see them, can't left-click to follow the link (it merely moves the cursor), can't right-click to see a context menu (the resulting menu has only "cut/copy/paste" instead of the usual glorious reference menu); they're drawn as though they're hyperlinks, but so long as you're editing, they're _not_ (I see that I can click on them when I switch to "text" view, but of course this is no help while I'm editing).

I'd love to see more abilities to use those references. I mean, that's what Logos is all about!

But don't let me end on a "down" note. I'm using the new editor, and I'm glad for it :) . Thank you!

Posts 4603
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 7:07 AM

William Tanksley, Jr:
I have to say that having a note-taking editor _in_ the study app is what I personally needed for my studies. I expect to use it a good deal!

The Sermon document would probably not be the best tool for note-taking during study. It is really intended to be used after your study is complete and you are ready to actually create a sermon. The best tool for note-taking would be a notes document.

William Tanksley, Jr:
However, right now it's really badly integrated with the rest of the app -- for me, the most surprising lack is the ability to do anything with references. You can't hover over them to see them,

The references in the notes document provides this capability

Posts 8021
LogosEmployee

Kevin M. Adams:
I had not checked the actual text, I assumed that since it was now marked ESV in Proclaim and it was saying ESV on the slide it was ESV!! My bad if it wasn't I guess (go figure, lol). If that is the case then I can just turn off the "show version on slide" toggle and not add confusion for the people. Seems it's been reported so let's hope it's a quick fix and taken care of. 

This should be fixed now (you will need to re-export to Proclaim); please let us know if you continue to have any problems.

Posts 34
josh monda | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:25 AM

For some reason when I am exporting to proclaim the underline feature does not work.  It just shows a regular slide if I want to have the fill in the blank show I have to then go into proclaim and re edit it.  I was hoping to save some time by using Sermon Editor 

Posts 21939
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:30 AM

josh monda:

For some reason when I am exporting to proclaim the underline feature does not work.  It just shows a regular slide if I want to have the fill in the blank show I have to then go into proclaim and re edit it.  I was hoping to save some time by using Sermon Editor 

If I understand what you are describing correctly it works for me.

Please start a new thread and provide as many details as possible so we can look at this with you.

Posts 258
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:34 AM

Graham Criddle:
You can do this.

That's great. Would be nice if it eventually became a feature that could be always enabled, but this works for now. Thanks!

Posts 21939
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 10:07 AM

danwdoo:
Would be nice if it eventually became a feature that could be always enabled

Please expand on this - I'm not sure what is missing here.

Posts 258
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 10:27 AM

Graham Criddle:

danwdoo:
Would be nice if it eventually became a feature that could be always enabled

Please expand on this - I'm not sure what is missing here.

Since I never want anything but the verse reference in the slides, selecting the text and hitting "apply to slides" for every single verse reference can get a little tedious after a while. It would be nice to have a "toggle" option switch to choose between "whole verse" or "reference only" so that Logos remembers my choice and only adds the references to the slides without me having to take the extra steps to only add the reference for every verse. It's not a ton of extra work, granted, but it does add up in a longer document with a lot of references and so saves both time and just having to remember to do this every time.,

Posts 11
Michael Woody | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 10:48 AM

Has anyone found a way to know when you have a slide versus other comments you might make? For example, in a Sunday School I may quote an author and want that in a slide but my comments later would not be quoted. Is it using the H1, H2, etc. for all of this? I am currently adding a line Advance Slide before a new slide and making that a prompt. I would love to know other's thoughts.

Mike Woody

Posts 21939
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 11:12 AM

danwdoo:
Since I never want anything but the verse reference in the slides, selecting the text and hitting "apply to slides" for every single verse reference can get a little tedious after a while. It would be nice to have a "toggle" option switch to choose between "whole verse" or "reference only" so that Logos remembers my choice and only adds the references to the slides without me having to take the extra steps to only add the reference for every verse. It's not a ton of extra work, granted, but it does add up in a longer document with a lot of references and so saves both time and just having to remember to do this every time.,

Understood - thanks

Posts 4603
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 11:39 AM

Michael Woody:

Has anyone found a way to know when you have a slide versus other comments you might make? For example, in a Sunday School I may quote an author and want that in a slide but my comments later would not be quoted. Is it using the H1, H2, etc. for all of this? I am currently adding a line Advance Slide before a new slide and making that a prompt. I would love to know other's thoughts.

If you add your comments as text on a separate line, then it will not show in a slide unless you manually create a slide from that text. 

Page 8 of 13 (257 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS