Visual filters menu: Approaching unusability

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1886
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 12:26 PM

MJ. Smith:
True but aren't they always visually distinguishable?

Yes. Thus my comment about a ribbon-like UI. I'll add that even the current UI, accessible from a single button, doesn't make everything visually distinguishable. I think you have pointed out that you have to enable/disable different entries in the VF menu to see which one is having the effect that you want to change.

Donnie

Posts 26151
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 12:44 PM

Donnie Hale:
doesn't make everything visually distinguishable

Ah, I see you misunderstood me. I do not mean that the UI makes things distinguishable, I mean that when I have an unwanted highlight I have only two possibilities (a) an unclosed search or (b) something turned on in visual filters that I do not want.

Donnie Hale:
I think you have pointed out that you have to enable/disable different entries in the VF menu to see which one is having the effect that you want to change.

I don't know if I pointed it out but this is true. However, I never approach it in that way ... I see what is turned on and ask if that's what I want for the task I am currently performing. When I have a user-created visual filter on that does not identify its highlights, I leave the template open to "translate".

What I would like to see is the discourse filters simply turned on/off here and have a separate function of "building" the visual filters in which the individual elements are turned on and off. Then I would like to see a similar pattern used for morphological filters and other filters based on Logos tagging that requires complex search arguments.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2517
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 1:50 PM

Donnie Hale:

Yes. Thus my comment about a ribbon-like UI. I'll add that even the current UI, accessible from a single button, doesn't make everything visually distinguishable. I think you have pointed out that you have to enable/disable different entries in the VF menu to see which one is having the effect that you want to change.

Donnie

Donnie,

To clarify are you wanting the menu to show what the visual filter looks like? Similar to the highlighting panel showing what each particular style looks like?

Blessings,

Philana

Posts 1886
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 6:26 AM

Philana R. Crouch:
To clarify are you wanting the menu to show what the visual filter looks like? Similar to the highlighting panel showing what each particular style looks like?

I'm trying not to over-specify but just throw out suggestions for consideration. Viewed as a requirement, the software should maximize the information surfaced by the visual filter menu(s) and minimize the interaction required to accomplish one's task. I think what MS came up with in its ribbon UI for Office does that quite effectively, but again - it's just a suggestion.

I would be OK (I think) with different buttons for logically-related VFs, but I do understand MJ's point regarding not wanting to click the wrong button b/c it's not obvious which one a particular VF is found under.

One more thing: Since "visual filter" is a term that applies to a whole host of features that can affect the visual display of a resource, it might be best to come up with a new name for the actual visual filter feature.

Donnie

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS