Logos 7 FREE engine

Page 1 of 4 (73 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 72 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 19
Jonas Hearus | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 23 2016 8:51 PM

Where can I find the link to download the FREE Logos 7 core engine? 

I understand that I have to buy or upgrade to a package with data sets for some of the new functionality to work. Since I already own many of the resources bundled in the upgrade packs I am simply interested in staying current with the latest core engine and using any of the new features that work with what I already have.

Thanks in advance, 

Jason

Posts 877
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 8:53 PM

They usually make you wait a while before the free engine is released, as an incentive to upgrade. If you want L7 now, you will need to search for the cheapest Base Package you can get with your dynamic pricing or subscribe to Logos Now.

Posts 4588
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 8:54 PM

My understanding is that the free engine will not be available for several months. That is the way it has been with each new version release.

Also, keep in mind that there is very little difference in the L7 and L6 engines. 

Posts 19
Jonas Hearus | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 9:14 PM

I'm not sure I understand why current users not ready to purchase a new upgrade package have to wait.

Consider Apple's model: When new iPhone models are released, the new operating system is simultaneously made available as a free upgrade to those with older phones. What's the harm in letting past loyal logos customers merely upgrade their core engines at the same time of a new roll out? If they want the latest greatest features they can buy the data sets in upgrade packages. 

For someone that's spent over $1000 in resources with a company, the current model feels less like a culture that wants provide the best platform for resources for their user base and more like a corporation that is simply focused on maximizing profits each quarter.

Posts 47
Bob Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 9:19 PM

The free engine will be available in February, which is six months from launch.  I guess they want to give everyone a chance to buy it before they give it away.  

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 9:19 PM

Jason Hauser:
Since I already own many of the resources bundled in the upgrade packs I am simply interested in staying current with the latest core engine and using any of the new features that work with what I already have.

Suggest exploring ways to get Logos 7 => https://www.logos.com/ways-to-get-logos

Without appropriate feature and dataset licenses, Logos 7 behaves the same as Logos 6.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2055
LogosEmployee

Jason Hauser:

I'm not sure I understand why current users not ready to purchase a new upgrade package have to wait.

Consider Apple's model: When new iPhone models are released, the new operating system is simultaneously made available as a free upgrade to those with older phones. What's the harm in letting past loyal logos customers merely upgrade their core engines at the same time of a new roll out? If they want the latest greatest features they can buy the data sets in upgrade packages. 

For someone that's spent over $1000 in resources with a company, the current model feels less like a culture that wants provide the best platform for resources for their user base and more like a corporation that is simply focused on maximizing profits each quarter.

You are in luck! You don't need to wait. If you are running 6.14, then you are getting the exact same experience you would get if you were running 7.0 today without making any purchase. The only difference would be the version number that gets displayed in the application.

Posts 588
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 9:33 PM

Thank you, Andrew, for this note. And thank you, FaithLife, for this gift. At age 80 I need to be careful not to buy a bunch of books I'll never get toSmile

Posts 1804
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 2:39 AM

Jason Hauser:

Jason, the free Logos 7 engine will be available in February. We're asking customers who get access to it through a Logos 7 purchase not to share that link with others.

We do this for a few reasons:

1. 6.14, which is available to everyone as of Monday, and 7.0 are essentially the same app, with just a different version name and splash screen. The code is otherwise virtually identical. So downloading 7.0 wouldn't change anything meaningful for you.
  2. The Logos 7 features that will eventually be free are restricted temporarily by licenses. Once we make the 7 engine available to everyone, we'll remove those license restrictions. Until then we don't want people to get confused by thinking they have 7.0 (and getting disappointed that it's virtually identical to 6.14). It's common for people not to understand the differences between the free software update, the feature set upgrade, and the library upgrade. By deferring the free software update by a few months, it allows us to make sure more people understand these important differences.
  3. The release of a new version creates a lot of demand on our teams, and limiting access to the new version of the app to those who purchase it allows us to reduce the demand on our customer service and technical support teams and provide better service.
Posts 10483
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 3:25 AM

Steve Maling:
At age 80 I need to be careful not to buy a bunch of books I'll never get toSmile

My reasoning—being a few months short of fourscore—is that I have a grandson now in Bible College. Some of my purchases have him in mind.

Posts 19
Jonas Hearus | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 6:53 AM

I understand. Thanks Phil. 

Posts 177
Andrew Zoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 8:01 AM

Jason Hauser:

I also want to point out that Apple is a hardware/software/services company and Faithlife is a software/services company. Apple's profitability stems from its large margins on hardware. If we want Faithlife to remain profitable (and I believe that everyone who has purchased products from them should for the sole reason of sustainability), then we need to adapt our expectations to them being profitable on their software and services, and this is a small way to do that.

💻MacBook Pro (15-inch 2018) | 2.9 GHz i9 6 core | 32GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB Graphics | 1TB SSD💻
💾MacOS Catalina 10.15 Beta (19A4871)💾
🎁Logos 7 Portfolio🎁
⌨Logos 7 Extended Feature Set⌨
🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 19
Jonas Hearus | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 10:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback Andrew. My primary concern with them making money off software is that I and many others bought logos because of the past emphasized promise that you pay for the resources and the software/engine that powers your resources will always be free. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 6:00 AM

Jason Hauser:
My primary concern with them making money off software is that I and many others bought logos because of the past emphasized promise that you pay for the resources and the software/engine that powers your resources will always be free. 

Thankful for free core engine that enables resources to be searched and read (past promise being kept).

Thankful for Logos Now exclusive features => https://www.logos.com/now-timeline that enhance Bible Study

Logos Now enables Discourse Analysis in more Bibles.  Reader Edition allows selective filtering of interlinear lines by occurrence: e.g. lemma (different than hard copy English gloss).  Logos Now membership also includes many exclusive interactives plus temporary access to resources along with discounts on resource purchases: e.g. temporary and Base Packages.

Thankful for option to purchase many Logos Now exclusive features => Logos 7 Full Feature Set and => Verbum 7 Full Feature Set

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4588
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 7:00 AM

Jason Hauser:
My primary concern with them making money off software is that I and many others bought logos because of the past emphasized promise that you pay for the resources and the software/engine that powers your resources will always be free.

This discussion came up with L4, L5, L6, and now L7. Phil has said many times that the free L7 engine will be made available in February. In this case, it is really moot point because there is basically no difference in the 6.14 engine and the L7 engine. Those who do not choose to purchase and L7 package or Feature set are still running almost exactly what L7 users are running.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 4:44 AM

Thanks everyone....looks to me like I get nothing of value or use if I just stay with the 6.0 stuff I upgraded to last time.

Heavy Sigh.

Posts 957
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 6:05 AM

JoshInRI:

Thanks everyone....looks to me like I get nothing of value or use if I just stay with the 6.0 stuff I upgraded to last time.

Heavy Sigh.

Why the sigh? Aren't you happy you don't need to upgrade and won't have to spend any money? I would be Smile

Posts 18
KeepOnSavingMe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 12:45 PM

I am assuming that is a sigh of relief.

Posts 2
Jason Henshaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 5:12 PM

I am just interested in the sermon editor module that is available in the v7. Does anyone know if that will be available for free in the update in February?

Posts 4588
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 5:19 PM

Jason Henshaw:

I am just interested in the sermon editor module that is available in the v7. Does anyone know if that will be available for free in the update in February?

I doubt it, but only FL can answer that question in a way that counts

Page 1 of 4 (73 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS