Excited and disappointed

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 47
Bob Price | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 23 2016 9:26 PM

I was initially really excited when I found out that Logos 7 was available!  I began with Starter about 2 years ago, then upgraded to Bronze last year.  My plan was to upgrade each year, and I was hoping to keep it around $300 or so for each upgrade.  It was looking like I would be able to do that, at least through Silver, with the help of a big sale.  So, I was starting to check out my options.  Silver was a little more expensive than I'd hoped, but I knew that an end of year sale might put it within reach.  Then Logos 7 came out...

The new pricing model puts all the functionality of the software into each base package.  So, it appears that Faithlife is no longer adding features incrementally with each base package.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it basically forces the purchase of all the features, with no ability to just crossgrade at different levels, as was previously possible.  For me, that means that I'm now priced out of doing an upgrade.  Instead of a $300 - $350 upgrade to Silver, it's now $550, which is just not in my budget.  

I tried to find an affordable option, but even "upgrading" to Bronze again would still cost over $300, and I would only get Barclay's NT commentary, which I already have in another package, and the full feature set.  So, it keeps coming down to being forced to pay almost $250 just for the core feature set.  

Sigh...

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 9:37 PM

Bob Price:
I tried to find an affordable option, ...

Suggest exploring ways to get Logos 7 => https://www.logos.com/ways-to-get-logos

Logos Now membership subscription includes Logos 7 datasets and features for a year: $ 89.99 that leaves some money in budget for resources plus discount on Logos 7 base package purchase.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1083
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 9:43 PM

Bob Price:
I tried to find an affordable option, but even "upgrading" to Bronze again would still cost over $300, and I would only get Barclay's NT commentary, which I already have in another package, and the full feature set.  So, it keeps coming down to being forced to pay almost $250 just for the core feature set.  

If you join Logos Now, you get the full feature set & experience for $90 per year ($100 from next). I can be fussy about these sort of things, but over the last year I feel I've gotten my money's worth with Now--benefits and features aside, I got about half the cost back with coupons and special offers exclusive to Now.

Also, and this depends completely on your interests, check out some of the denominational base packages, even the ones outside of your theological tradition. There are sometimes buried treasures there, and with dynamic pricing sometimes the final price is very attractive.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 26125
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 9:50 PM

Bob Price:
So, it keeps coming down to being forced to pay almost $250 just for the core feature set.  

This release is heavy on new datasets which I think partially accounts for the high costs when compared to prior releases.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 272
LogosEmployee
Glenn Airoldi (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 10:39 PM

Hi Bob,

The Logos 7 Bronze library has been updated to include many resources that were not in the Logos 6 Bronze library.  So an upgrade to Logos 7 Bronze will grow your library as well as offering new features.

MJ's suggestion is a good one.  Add a Logos Now membership to your cart, then add Logos 7 Bronze.  You'll get a great deal on a whole bunch of new books that you'll keep in your library forever, and you'll have access to all the new features in Logos 7 for the coming year.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS