Over $300 for L7 Features? Really?

Page 1 of 14 (269 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 268 Replies | 12 Followers

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 24 2016 6:53 AM

I just checked my price for the full Logos 7 feature set.  It is over $300!  And I don't really see much that even interests me.  Am I alone?  

I know that Logos is moving from selling books to datasets and that they are trying to move everyone to the SaaS (Software as a Service) model.  But for me, it doesn't give me much incentive to upgrade. 

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 13307
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 7:01 AM

So why don't you become a Logos Now member for $89.99 for a year? Much better value.

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 7:02 AM

I currently own all features/datasets from Logos 6 and am not a Logos Now member. I am showing a price of $134.93 for the full Logos 7 feature set if purchased as part of a base package. If I remove the library (books) portion of the base package from my cart and leave only the Logos 7 full feature set, the price increases to $179.91.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 7:04 AM

Logos Now subscription includes full Logos 7 feature set using SaaS model ($ 89.99 this year, $ 99.99 per year next year)

Thankful for Logos Now "free" previews that have included Mobile Education courses.

Thankful for Logos Now timeline => https://www.logos.com/now-timeline

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 22
Shannon Martin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 8:20 AM

The beauty of this is that nothing happened to Logos 6. Logos 6 is the same program it was last week before 7 was introduced.

If someone does not see the value in 7 they will be happy to stick with 6.

Just like when Ford came out with a 2016 model after I bought my 2015.

I am grateful that Faithlife, and Ford for that matter, have not stopped innovating and moving forward.

(I BTW do see the value and that is why I am a "Now" member)

Posts 20
Pastor Park | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 8:48 AM

For me the best deal was upgrading to 7 by picking the Bronze package. It lowered the full features to below $100 and gave me some new books for about $70 more (or about $40 more than what would have been my discounted price for just the L7 features). 

But as someone else said, Logos 6 is still working fine. I had a $50 gift card that was set to expire in a week though, so I decided to just on the deal.

Posts 10030
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 8:50 AM

Tony, are you adding on to the Logos5 crossgrade? $300 seems high. I paid $199, not an LN-izer, and crossgraded L6 earlier.

Is it worth it? Judging from how few forumites can answer questions on how to use Logos features, I'd bet limited use is the rule for most.

Or more accurately, a couple features of value per user.

Worth $200-300? I doubt it. But money is only valuable when you don't have it.

Posts 50
David Betts | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 8:58 AM

For months I saved toward buying Logos 7 upon release.

I was totally uninterested in "Logos Now," and ignored it until a few days ago.

Having tried Logos Now, I am totally blown away and amazed!

I would encourage those who say there is no added value to give Logos Now a try. You can cancel within 30 days if not pleased.

$90 a year for the first year comes to $7.50 per month, or about twenty-five cents per day.

If someone is content and full of joy for what Abba Father has provided in Logos 6, by all means be content with what you have. According to Hebrews 5:11 - 14 some (still) need milk [gala/galaktos] (SEE also 1Pe2:2), others have "moved on" to solid food. I am thankful for the milk. Now, I am thankful that we are provided even better tools to access both milk, and 'solid food.' (According to Mt3:4 this includes locusts).

My encouragement for all is Hebrews 5:11 "..by this time you ought to be teachers," and Mt24:45 which speaks of "food," not just milk. Therefore, according to Hebrew6:2 "Let us go on to maturity....." !!!

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 9:49 AM

David Betts:

For months I saved toward buying Logos 7 upon release.

I was totally uninterested in "Logos Now," and ignored it until a few days ago.

Having tried Logos Now, I am totally blown away and amazed!

Anything specific that changed your mind?

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 10:03 AM

Denise:

Tony, are you adding on to the Logos5 crossgrade? $300 seems high. I paid $199, not an LN-izer, and crossgraded L6 earlier.

Is it worth it? Judging from how few forumites can answer questions on how to use Logos features, I'd bet limited use is the rule for most.

Or more accurately, a couple features of value per user.

Worth $200-300? I doubt it. But money is only valuable when you don't have it.

I have Logos 6 currently and did Starter last time round.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 10:05 AM

Matthew:
If I remove the library (books) portion of the base package from my cart and leave only the Logos 7 full feature set, the price increases to $179.91.

That amount is about 2 years of Now subscription and buys you what Now subscribers have been progressively enjoying over the past about two years since Now began, and for about their price. That actually is not a bad deal for full ownership.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 10:11 AM

Tony Thomas:

I have Logos 6 currently and did Starter last time round.

Then the Logos 7 equivalent would be the Starter Feature Set, or the Starter base package and feature set. The Full Feature Set corresponds with what you would have gotten from Logos 6 Gold or Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade (in the way of features/datasets, not the accompanying resources/books). The good news is, with Logos 7, you only need to get a Bronze package to get the Full Feature Set included.

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 10:17 AM

The bad news is that the Bronze starter is the same as the feature set -- over $300.  I may sit this one out and see what Logos comes up with in the future.  

I think my biggest problem with the SaaS is that if you stop paying, you lose all of the added features.  I think it would be better that if you stay for at least 12 months, you get to keep a subset of the features and if you stay for 24 months, you get to keep all the added features up to that point. 

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 10:41 AM

I can get L7 Basic for about $89, but not much compelling there either.  So, unless I decide that I really need the SaaS features, I'll stay put.  Did Logos ever finish the web engine improvements, anyway?

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 2238
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 11:12 AM

Tony Thomas:

I just checked my price for the full Logos 7 feature set.  It is over $300!  And I don't really see much that even interests me.  Am I alone?  

I think I must have paid the very same price. I was on L6 Starter before as well, and decided to upgrade to Bronze now.

I agree, $300 is steep. However, you pay that only once, and the feature set belongs to you for good. The set includes really everything (let me stress e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g), that previously was restricted to Gold/Diamond/Platinum etc. and would have been a lot more expensive (either as part of a very high priced BP, or as a feature crossgrade). In terms of price, I believe the full feature set is a gigantic steal.

Second question: Is it worth the price? Currently, I think yes. Time will tell. I've been going through a couple of the Logos Pro videos recently (prior to L7), and noticed that with the L6 Starter features I could not do quite a lot of the stuff. Many of the features might look uninteresting, but under the hood they enable Logos to do all the cool things that you can see in Logos Pro.

(LN gives you the same features, but then, once you're in the fourth year of subscribing, it already gets more expensive than owning the feature set.)

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 11:48 AM

Using a car analogy, Logos seems to want to load you up with all kinds of options that you may or may not use.  I would rather put the money into books and resources I will use.  As I am invested in several Bible study platforms, I don't currently feel the need to have the latest and greatest.  Just the tools I need to study the Bible.  YMMV.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 13307
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 12:55 PM

Tony Thomas:
Using a car analogy, Logos seems to want to load you up with all kinds of options that you may or may not use.

That's true — but we all want different things. If everyone wanted to pay $10each for the features they wanted, it may be that none of the features would have had enough customers to pay for the development costs. But if we all agree to have everything, and club our resources together, then Logos can make far more tools than they otherwise could. That's the theory anyway, and I'm grateful for the approach (despite being against Logos Now when it launched).

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 1:44 PM

Tony Thomas:

The bad news is that the Bronze starter is the same as the feature set -- over $300.  I may sit this one out and see what Logos comes up with in the future.  

Which is far less than the Logos 6 Gold package was. The entry price for all features is now (much) lower than it used to be. If that is still out of your budget (at the moment, it is definitely out of mine*), then waiting is the correct choice - not because the pricing is unreasonable, but because budget priorities are properly elsewhere.

*On the other hand, my Dynamic Pricing for the Logos 7 Starter Feature Set is insanely low. That one is highly likely to be an almost-immediate purchase.

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 2:57 PM

We all want better tools for Bible study.  However, we must determine which tools will be best for us to use and whether or not we can justify the expense.  I will examine the feature set on LN to see if it is worth the $10 a month Logos wants for it...

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 4:52 PM

Tony Thomas:

We all want better tools for Bible study.  However, we must determine which tools will be best for us to use and whether or not we can justify the expense.  I will examine the feature set on LN to see if it is worth the $10 a month Logos wants for it...

What calendar are you using? The last time I checked $99/12 = $8.25! Even less if you purchase now at $89.

Page 1 of 14 (269 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS