Over $300 for L7 Features? Really?

Page 2 of 14 (269 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 268 Replies | 12 Followers

Posts 47
Bob Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 7:32 PM

I'm in the same boat.  I currently have Bronze, and was planning to upgrade to Silver this fall.  I'd been watching the prices on Silver, and it had been going up, but was somewhere around $350 or so.  If I'm not mistaken, it used to include the New American Commentary, so it was a pretty significant upgrade in terms of resources.  The new version of Silver does not include the NAC, so it's not as valuable as it used to be, but I suppose they offset that by including the full feature set with almost all base packages.

The new versions are, of course, pretty exciting by virtue of the feature sets, but I'm a lot less excited by what I would now get in the base package libraries.  With the new pricing, I can essentially spend the same amount of money I would have spent on a Silver upgrade under Logos 6, but now I would only get Bronze under Logos 7.  I'm not sure that's a good tradeoff.

So, I'll keep evaluating my options.  Logos Now is tempting, but after 3 years, it becomes a money loser, and quitting after 3 years would leave me with nothing more than I have now.  Still, it's the only option if your budget won't support a base package purchase.  The tough thing is trying to determine if I would really use a lot of the new features.  I'm not very strong in original language study.

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 7:51 PM

I think that Logos offers far less value for more money than it used to.  I started with Bronze back in 2009 or so (Logos 4) and received a really decent library for the money with a lot of good titles and some sets.  I supplemented it by buying up all the value-priced Libronix packages that I could find.  Now, it seems, the books are not as plentiful and the packages are filled with Logos-published and public domain works.  The cost of entry has gone higher and higher.  Now, the sky is the limit. The main draw seems to be the datasets which are of limited value to me, personally.  Just give me great search capabilities and I can pull up what I need on any platform.  What would interest me most in a SaaS scenario is not datasets.  It is a more mature and capable web platform so I can do more on my Chromebooks.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 6:41 AM

Bob Price:
The new version of Silver does not include the NAC, so it's not as valuable as it used to be,

The New American Commentary Series (42 vols.) now shows inclusion in several Logos 7 LIbraries, including Baptist Gold and SDA Gold

Bob Price:
The new versions are, of course, pretty exciting by virtue of the feature sets, ...

Thankful for Logos Now exclusive features => https://www.logos.com/now-timeline that enhance Bible Study

Logos Now enables Discourse Analysis in more Bibles.  Reader Edition allows selective filtering of interlinear lines by occurrence: e.g. lemma (different than hard copy English gloss).  Logos Now membership also includes many exclusive interactives plus temporary access to resources along with discounts on resource purchases: e.g. temporary and Base Packages.

Thankful for option to purchase many Logos Now exclusive features => Logos 7 Full Feature Set and => Verbum 7 Full Feature Set

Bob Price:
... but I'm a lot less excited by what I would now get in the base package libraries.  With the new pricing, I can essentially spend the same amount of money I would have spent on a Silver upgrade under Logos 6, but now I would only get Bronze under Logos 7.  I'm not sure that's a good tradeoff.

Thankful for Library Compare across denominational packages: e.g. Gold (with identical regular price of $ 1,222.22)

=> https://www.logos.com/compare/libraries?productIds=81151,81159,81166,81173,81180,81184,81193,81200

Noticed UBS Handbook Series Old & New Testament Collection (55 vols.) is no longer in Logos 7 Gold packages, now only in Logos 6 Gold Bilingual

Bob Price:
So, I'll keep evaluating my options.

+1 Yes plus praying for God's peaceful directing of steps for His glory.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 170
Dwayne Justice | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 7:36 AM

Tony Thomas:

The bad news is that the Bronze starter is the same as the feature set -- over $300.  I may sit this one out and see what Logos comes up with in the future.  

I think my biggest problem with the SaaS is that if you stop paying, you lose all of the added features.  I think it would be better that if you stay for at least 12 months, you get to keep a subset of the features and if you stay for 24 months, you get to keep all the added features up to that point. 

Tony, I am curious. Where are you getting your prices from? $300 seems quite high. If I wanted buy bronze (which comes with the full feature set) I would only have to pay $57.39. I realize that price is based off of what I currently own. However, that is a very far cry from $300. I don't see the difference being that much no matter the difference in our two base packages that we currently own. I don't know, maybe there is, but is seems a little too substantial of a difference for that to be the case. Quick question: are you signed in when you are viewing prices?

🖥 21.5" iMac; 2.7GHZ; 1TB HD🖥

💻 15" Macbook Pro Retina; 2.5GHZ i7; 16 GB; 500GB FSD💻

🎁Logos 6 Diamond; Logos 6 Anglican Diamond; Logos 6 Pentecostal & Charismatic Gold🎁

🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 2248
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 8:20 AM

$300 is the correct price to upgrade from L6 Starter to L7 Bronze.

Crying (but actually it's worth every cent).

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 278
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 8:52 AM

OK, I haven't tried Logos Now before, so forgive me if my questions are obvious to the rest of you. I have Verbum 6 foundations and am interested in giving 7 a try. Am I basically paying a yearly fee to get access to the maxed out package? Or is Logos Now less than that?

I'd like to find out what's going on here so I don't assume something Faithlife never intended to promise.

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. Gold: Orthodox. Bronze: Lutheran. Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 170
Dwayne Justice | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 8:53 AM

Jan Krohn:

WOW! Guess I'm a liar! LOL! I just didn't think there could be that much of a difference. I was wrong...Zip it!

🖥 21.5" iMac; 2.7GHZ; 1TB HD🖥

💻 15" Macbook Pro Retina; 2.5GHZ i7; 16 GB; 500GB FSD💻

🎁Logos 6 Diamond; Logos 6 Anglican Diamond; Logos 6 Pentecostal & Charismatic Gold🎁

🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 9:52 AM

Yep, it looks like I'm jumping off the Logos upgrade train for this go round.  And not sure if Logos Now will provide enough value.  So, I will just wait!

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 747
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 9:59 AM

Dwayne Justice:

Jan Krohn:

WOW! Guess I'm a liar! LOL! I just didn't think there could be that much of a difference. I was wrong...Zip it!

Dwayne: keep in mind that this is the ownership price. You can join Logos Now and get access the Full Feature Set (though not the library) for a very reasonable cost, along with discounts on other purchases that may make it worthwhile.

This post may help with determining the various costs and discounts: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/129621.aspx.

Save

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 10:08 AM

David Wanat:
OK, I haven't tried Logos Now before, so forgive me if my questions are obvious to the rest of you. I have Verbum 6 foundations and am interested in giving 7 a try. Am I basically paying a yearly fee to get access to the maxed out package? Or is Logos Now less than that?

For maxing out features, annual Now membership is a better deal because some features and datasets are only available to subscribers: e.g.

1. Bible Browser
  2. Discourse Datasets and Visual Filters
  3. Lemma in Passage
  4. Logos web app
  5. New stuff added to Logos 7 and Verbum 7 that is not in the Full Feature Sets

Media Collections for Logos 7 and Verbum 7

1. Faithlife Animations (subscription only)
  2. deSilva Teaching Materials, vol. 2 (subscription only)
  3. Mars Hill Media Collection (subscription only)
  4. Lexham Bible Dictionary Videos (subscription only)

The other subscription option that includes resources is Logos Cloud => https://logoscloud.com and Verbum Cloud => https://verbumcloud.com so can "rent" a larger library with features.

Verbum Now => https://verbum.com/now and Logos Now => https://www.logos.com/now

Verbum Now Timeline => https://verbum.com/now-timeline and Logos Now Timeline => https://www.logos.com/now-timeline

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 272
LogosEmployee
Glenn Airoldi (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 1:47 PM

We all derive value from Logos differently.  Some of us place a tremendous amount of value on new books. Others take exactly the opposite approach, and place more value on new features.

Regardless of where you fit in this spectrum, there are ways to maximize what's valuable to you in an upgrade purchase during our Logos 7 introduction.

If what you're looking to accomplish with an upgrade is to get the best deal on books to grow your library, these are the things you should consider:

• Every Logos 7 Library purchase should be considered an upgrade regardless of level, because you'll be adding new books to your library.  
  • Users get the best price applied to Logos 7 Libraries in two ways
    • Purchase a library and a feature set together - Save 10% on the library -OR-
    • Purchase a library alone as a Logos Now Member - save 10% on the library 
  • During the introductory period, there are additional discounts being applied
    • Save an additional 10% as part of our launch promotion
    • Logos Now members save another 5%

Here are some examples of how to purchase to maximize the value of the library.

• Buy any library together with a Starter Feature Set, you'll get far fewer features, but still earn the library discounts offered for buying a feature set and library together.
  • Become a Logos Now member and purchase a library alone.  Even after the introductory period, Logos Now members will save at least 10% on Logos 7 libraries.  Consider that a Bronze library costs $200.  The Logos Now Membership earns you at least a $20 discount.  The $89.99 membership earns you a $122 on a Gold library.  (Dynamic pricing will reduce those numbers if you're not paying full price for the libraries.) 

If what you're looking to accomplish with an upgrade is to get access to new features, these are the things you should consider:

• Logos Now membership, priced at $99.99 per year is discounted to $89.99 through the end of the year.  Members get access to all Logos features for as long as they remain members.
  • For anyone who prefers to own the features instead of accessing them as a benefit of membership, these are the options
    • Users get the best priced applied to Logos 7 Feature Sets in two ways
      • Purchase a feature set and a library together - save 25% on the feature set -OR-
      • Purchase a feature set alone as a Logos Now Member - save 25% on the feature set
    • During the introductory period, there are additional discounts being applied
      • Save an additional 10% as part of our launch promotion
      • Logos Now members save another 5%

Here are examples of how to purchase to maximize the value of the feature set.

• Buy a base package instead of a feature set alone
  • Choose Bronze over Starter.  This $630 base package includes the $599.99 Full Feature set.  Buying it with a library earns you the 25% discount, and your dynamic price can bring the dollar total even lower.
  • Become a Logos Now member and purchase the Full Feature Set alone.  Even after the introductory period, Logos Now members will save at least 25% on Logos 7 feature sets.  Consider that the Logos 7 Full Feature Set costs $599.99.  The $89.99 Logos Now Membership earns you at least a $150 discount on a Logos 7 Full Feature Set.  (Dynamic pricing will reduce these numbers if you're not paying full price for the feature set.) 

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 2:04 PM

[Head spinning violently....]

http://babylonbee.com/news/pastor-takes-second-loan-home-purchase-new-logos-bible-software/

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 2:14 PM

Tony Thomas:
The babylonbee is a "Christian Satire" site.  

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 2:15 PM

Yes it is...  Smile

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:23 AM

So, what is going on with the web version of Logos that was one one the main features of Logos Now?  Is it still in development?  How far has it progressed?  Since I have not seen it since the Logos Cloud rollout, I would be interested in knowing.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 21731
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:28 AM

Tony Thomas:
So, what is going on with the web version of Logos that was one one the main features of Logos Now?  Is it still in development?

Yes it is still under development - status updates are available in https://community.logos.com/forums/136.aspx 

If you are a Logos Now subscriber you can (normally) see it at http://app.logos.com/ but it isn't responding at the moment.

Posts 21731
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:57 AM

Graham Criddle:
but it isn't responding at the moment.

and it's back!

Not fully featured yet but certainly useful when you don't have access to your desktop.

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 10:57 AM

So, how does it compare to the regular biblia.com and bible.faithlife.com sites?

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 63
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 11:04 AM

I find Logos Now to be a better deal than purchasing the upgrades. I own all the books, so don't mind paying per month for the features. This is similar to what Microsoft is doing with Office 365, you don't own the software but for a only a few buck a month you will always have the latest version when a new version comes out. You can pay 300 for all the Logos Features now but you won't have any of the new features as they come out and will have to pay another 300 when Logos 8 comes out. But for 9.99 a month or 100 per year you will always have the latest features. 

Posts 21731
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 11:34 AM

Tony Thomas:

So, how does it compare to the regular biblia.com and bible.faithlife.com sites?

Difficult to say without an itemised list.

It doesn't have Reading Plans at the moment - which biblia does - and neither does it provide access to many of the FSB features.

It does support multiple layout options and resource linksets as well as initial support for the Guides

Very much depends on what is important for you.

Page 2 of 14 (269 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS