Over $300 for L7 Features? Really?

Page 3 of 14 (269 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 268 Replies | 12 Followers

Posts 22208
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 11:35 AM

Diego Lara:
But for 9.99 a month or 100 per year you will always have the latest features.

Just a detail - the new Logos Now scheme is only available for annual, not monthly, purchase

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 11:47 AM

So, no real way to try it out for a month or two and see if you actually benefit from the features?

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 22208
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 11:52 AM

Tony Thomas:

So, no real way to try it out for a month or two and see if you actually benefit from the features?

Correct - and with the discounts available to Logos Now members:managing a free trial could be difficult

• "Always save at least 10% on Logos 7 Libraries
  • Always save at least 25% on Logos 7 Feature Sets
  • PLUS, Logos Now members save an additional 5% on top of our already great introductory discount"

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 11:54 AM

Graham Criddle:

Tony Thomas:

Correct - and with the discounts available to Logos Now members:managing a free trial could be difficult

• "Always save at least 10% on Logos 7 Libraries
  • Always save at least 25% on Logos 7 Feature Sets
  • PLUS, Logos Now members save an additional 5% on top of our already great introductory discount"

Understandable.  Then, I am definitely going to remain on the sideline.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 66
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 11:58 AM

Really? I still have it per month, so I was grandfathered into it?

Posts 22208
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 12:01 PM

Diego Lara:

Those who were on monthly subscriptions can remain until the end of the year - then it switches to annual. See https://community.logos.com/forums/p/128695/836465.aspx#836465 for some context.

Posts 1675
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 12:01 PM

Diego Lara:

Only until the end of December. Then us monthly subscribers have to make a decision of either cancelling or having it turn into an annual subscription. I would expect an email reminder before that happens but you never know.

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 12:03 PM

Personally, I think it is a mistake to only offer an annual option.  $90 is a big commitment for something that you don't get a chance to test out.  

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 66
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 12:04 PM

Oh ok, well its still worth every penny for $89 a year to get all those great features and anything new that comes out. 

Posts 66
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 12:05 PM

They should definitely provide a one month free trial, by disabling all the discounts so that no one abuses the free trial just to buy books at a discounted price. I agree I probably would hesitate to sign up for an entire year if I had not tried it first.

Posts 359
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 12:22 PM

No, you are not alone. 
I find this ridiculous. 
I myself am what I will call a "light user", with "only" 1660 resources; yet, I have spent well over $2000 for this collection of stuff that I have to force myself to make time to figure out how to even use it. It was supposed to be a $400 investment, but, has turned out to be 5-6x that! 
As far as upgrading? NEVER AGAIN! You are correct, in my not so humble opinion, there is not even one resource that I considered buying even separately. Nothing! And to pay ANOTHER $300ish? 
I just wish I could find someone who wants my license. I'd go back to the better $100 software titles. 
Better? How? For one, I could use them. For two, they weren't money hungry (in appearance). You bought their product, and none of this constant barrage of ads, in email, on the home page. I never had to go to settings to tell it to not place ads everywhere. 
I've been with Logos since 2009. I purchased L-3 and now, not even 10 years later, I've seen four MORE versions? That's crazier than Windows! Even greedy MS has taken longer to release 4 upgrades to Windows! 

No, you are definitely not alone. I'm pretty much done with Logos. I understand being in business to make money, but this is ridiculous, and I am wondering what Jesus would do if he were here physically, or if Peter would react similarly to how he spoke to Simon the sorcerer. 

Posts 359
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 12:39 PM

You make a compelling argument. 
However, I am bothered by the fact my "light library" cost over 2 grand, and that every time I turn around, there's a new Logos level. 
I know their excuse is "we are a business" but, there is also something to be said about HOW they run a business. Integrity is huge. I have never felt this company had integrity-- I have seen attempts to show integrity after the fact, and for that I do give credit, I have also seen too many issues with "oops we didn't mean that" type advertising errors. I won't say it's intentional, altho, it seems like it, because that would be bad. But, I will say, when they do come up, they do make good (or better on it).

That all said... I don't know if I would consider $90 a year a good value. Maybe when I bought L-3, but $2000+ later, I can't see me giving this company too many more dollars. Maybe your rationale is worth considering, however. 

Posts 22
Shannon Martin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 12:42 PM

Batman:

No, you are not alone. 
I find this ridiculous. 
I myself am what I will call a "light user", with "only" 1660 resources; yet, I have spent well over $2000 for this collection of stuff that I have to force myself to make time to figure out how to even use it. It was supposed to be a $400 investment, but, has turned out to be 5-6x that! 
As far as upgrading? NEVER AGAIN! You are correct, in my not so humble opinion, there is not even one resource that I considered buying even separately. Nothing! And to pay ANOTHER $300ish? 
I just wish I could find someone who wants my license. I'd go back to the better $100 software titles. 
Better? How? For one, I could use them. For two, they weren't money hungry (in appearance). You bought their product, and none of this constant barrage of ads, in email, on the home page. I never had to go to settings to tell it to not place ads everywhere. 
I've been with Logos since 2009. I purchased L-3 and now, not even 10 years later, I've seen four MORE versions? That's crazier than Windows! Even greedy MS has taken longer to release 4 upgrades to Windows! 

No, you are definitely not alone. I'm pretty much done with Logos. I understand being in business to make money, but this is ridiculous, and I am wondering what Jesus would do if he were here physically, or if Peter would react similarly to how he spoke to Simon the sorcerer. 

I will give you 100. for your license. If it is worth less than a 100. program you are replacing it with that should be fair.

Are we really comparing Faithlife to Simon the sorcerer? Really?

I am hoping that Logos keeps innovating and bringing out new features. Looking forward to seeing what new features will be offered in Logos 8.

Posts 3321
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 12:47 PM

Batman:

In 2009, Logos 4 came out.(1)

In 2009, Windows 7 came out. (1)

In 2012, Logos 5 came out. (2)

In 2012, Windows 8 came out. (2)

In 2013, Windows 8.1 came out. (3)

In 2014, Logos 6 came out. (3)

In 2015, Windows 10 came out. (4)

In 2016, Logos 7 came out. (4)

In 2009, OS X 10.6 came out. (1)

In 2011, OS X 10.7 came out. (2)

In 2012, OS X 10.8 came out. (3)

In 2013, OS X 10.9 came out. (4)

In 2014, OS X 10.10 came out. (5)

In 2015, OS X 10.11 came out. (6)

In 2016, OS X 10.12 will come out. (7)

Batman:
I have spent well over $2000 for this collection of stuff that I have to force myself to make time to figure out how to even use it. It was supposed to be a $400 investment, but, has turned out to be 5-6x that! 

It takes time to learn how to use any kind of software. If you want to use Logos "lightly", it take less than a minute to learn how to put a basic search into the command bar after it loads for the first time, and you should be capable of running guides and other basic document use within an hour, if you know nothing whatever about the software and look in the help file and struggle to use technology.

As to how much you spent, that's been entirely up to you the entire time.

Upgrading to the next version of Logos has always been free, as long as you were willing to wait a few months after launch.

Batman:
You are correct, in my not so humble opinion, there is not even one resource that I considered buying even separately. Nothing!

If you don't see another resource that interests you, don't buy any.

Puer natus est nobis. Merry Christmas!

Catholic Products Forum - Book Suggestions UserVoice - Verbum Blog

Posts 66
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 12:50 PM

Batman:

No, you are not alone. 
I find this ridiculous. 

Sorry but I would have to greatly disagree with you, to compare Faithlife to Simon the sorcerer is a bit of a stretch. We have invested a lot of money on Logos Bible Software resources and the last thing I want is for Faithlife/Logos to go out of business. I want them to make a profit and to continue to grow as a business and continue to provide new features and tools. The fact that they invest alot of time and money always producing new tools, hiring in house scholars, publishing their own study bible and tools is mind boggling and monumental in my opinion. I don't see any other bible software company doing the same thing Faithlife is doing. 

We all have the option to upgrade or to not upgrade, you can stay with Logos 6 and you are not forced to upgrade. If you upgrade you are paying for new tools that Faithlife spent a lot of time and money developing. Now the questions is do you want to pay to have the new tools or are you OK with what you have?  Simple as that. I am personally glad that Faithlife is constantly improving the program and I am glad they dont just sit there and do nothing an continue to innovate, because that is what a software company is supposed to be about. I actually find $100 a year to have the latest and greatest from a top notch software company to be a very low price. 

Posts 22
Shannon Martin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 12:55 PM

Diego Lara:

I actually find $100 a year to have the latest and greatest from a top notch software company to be a very low price. 

Totally agree. Actually based on what the going rate for software I almost wonder if that price is sustainable. Huge value.

Posts 10445
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 1:00 PM

Sigh ... I guess I'm  the only one who remembers Chippy and Simon the Sorcerer.

Posts 359
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 1:04 PM

Vista came out worldwide 2007. 
I purchased L-3 in Apr 2009. 
But thanks for proving the point I was making. 

I've probably used Bible software since before you were born (Ok probably not). But for over 20 years. Quite frankly, I was much happier with other software than Logos. 
I'm fully aware of the fact I have chosen to buy anything further I have bought. I am also aware that complicated software requires a learning curve. For one, however, I don't have the time it takes to learn it, which is probably based more on the fact I have no motivation, other than I keep pouring more money into this in hopes I will find use for it, than I do a clunker car. 
That's how I feel; because thats just the way it is. 

Posts 4693
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 1:12 PM

Tony Thomas:

We assume that operating the 30 day money back guarantee will be difficult but Faithlife have not said that they are not applying it to NOW subscriptions. I am sure that if you rang Customer Service and explained that NOW really had nothing of interest for you they would find a way of doing the kind thing for you.

Posts 359
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 1:13 PM

Acts 8:20 Peter answered: “May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God.

That is what I am comparing. In Logos' case, rather than buying, it's selling. So, in that sense, yes. 

Don't worry about what's in L-8, because if things are true to form, they are already working on L-10. They were working on 5 or 6 while 3 was out. 

And as far as innovating and bringing out new features is concerned, that's great. But, I find this whole "we're a business" to be more about greed than creating a Bible program to help people study. My opinion, yes. Might I be wrong? Yes. But, when you think about what everyone has actually paid for their Bible program, I am betting they could have gone to the best Christian universities. 

Page 3 of 14 (269 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS