Over $300 for L7 Features? Really?

Page 12 of 14 (269 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next >
This post has 268 Replies | 12 Followers

Posts 97
Carey G. Pearson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 31 2016 7:58 PM

Bob, you speak of upgrading to Silver which includes the L7 Full Features......do I understand that correctly?

if we meet and you forget me,

you have lost nothing.

But if you meet Jesus and forget Him,

you have lost everything.

Posts 48
Bob Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 31 2016 8:03 PM

My Bronze upgrade included the L7 full feature set, just like all the base package upgrades done separately from Logos Now.  Without doing a base package upgrade, the full feature set would cost me just over $308.  Upgrading to Bronze (again) would give me the FFS plus a few books for a total of $310, so it wouldn't make sense for me to purchase the FFS by itself.

Posts 48
Bob Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 31 2016 8:18 PM

Carey G. Pearson:

Bob, you speak of upgrading to Silver which includes the L7 Full Features......do I understand that correctly?

Yes, for purposes of this discussion, whenever I refer to a base package upgrade, I'm assuming the "regular" upgrade, which includes the library and the full feature set.  I realize that it would be cheaper to subscribe to LN and then add a library, but I was evaluating complete upgrades.  

Posts 363
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 31 2016 10:54 PM

Not sure who you are asking, but, in my case, I made a mistake. I was thinking Logos Now was Logos Cloud. So, oops. But, that was on me. 
Ok, with that editorial said, I passed on purchasing the Full Features. They are in fact separate. With Bronze in my case, it would have been an additional $200. So I upgraded to Bronze 7, and went with Now for the Full Features. Since I did make an error in this, I was considering purchasing FF later. That would not make sense, because I would be paying twice. Now that I am understanding better, I think I can give an even more beneficial point of view.

Pro's for purchasing the FF  UPGRADE with Bronze: 
1. You "own" it. 
2. Once it's paid for, you don't have to pay again, unless you decide to upgrade to 8. (I figure about two years. I don't know, and I'm sure, from a business standpoint, Logos won't tell either).
Con's for purchasing:
1. It's $200 up front. 
2. If Logos Logos pushes the upgrade sooner, you've "lost" money. 

Pro's for Renting, via Now.
1. If you don't find the features worth the money, you can cancel. As far as I understand (and to be honest, apparently I am not doing well on the "understanding" part, very well) within 30 days and get a refund. If not, you're still only out $100, instead of the full amount. (If one is going full purchase as opposed to upgrading, this option becomes a bigger point. 
2. At approximately $100/year I feel as if I'm somewhat "upgrade proof". Future upgrades I am assuming will be similar to 7, If I choose to purchase "equivalent" Bronze packages, it would be for the books, and if I'm unimpressed, I can simply pass, without "missing out", or feeling like I should. 
3. If I continue annually and without interruption, I can break up payments for about $100/yr. as opposed to getting hit with a heavier fee. 
4. Special discounts, preview of resources (and Logos 8 as they become available), and at this point, it is unclear from the rep I spoke with, but at least one Mobile Ed course is included. Whether it stays or gets rotated, or disappears after 30 days, or longer, I am not sure yet. But having access to that info is worth the annual fee (for the first year, anyway). 
Cons:
1. If I stop payments, I revert back to basic Bronze 7. My money spent evaporates. 
2. Payments are every year; even if there's no upgrades. 

I'm beginning to take advantage of new video training. I think those are available for Now subscribers only-- not totally sure. But, at this point, I'm pretty happy; even if I was thinking I'd get access to a zillion other resources I'd never realistically use.

Carey G. Pearson:

curious...did your Bronze upgrade INCLUDE the L7 Full Features...or were the L7 Full Features a separate purchase from the Bronze upgrade?

Posts 28762
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 31 2016 11:00 PM

Batman:
Cons:
1. If I stop payments, I revert back to basic Bronze 7. My money spent evaporates. 

I'm beginning to take advantage of new video training. I think those are available for Now subscribers only-- not totally sure.

Clarifications:

• updates are every 6 weeks
  • video training is available to everyone

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 363
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 31 2016 11:03 PM

The pricing structure has become rather confusing, I've noticed, I am recommending people call, and see what the rep comes up with. If it's cheaper online, go that route, if it's cheaper with the phone rep, go that route, if it's a matter of it's becoming too much to deal with, don't upgrade, just to upgrade. In my case, it was too good to pass up; so I did the Bronze 7 upgrade and then I chose Now. 
I think in the end the cost evens out. With full purchase, you keep everything. With renting, they give a few extras that may be enticing enough to go that route; but, basically, either pay full price upfront, or, pay it annually. 

Bob Price:

Carey G. Pearson:

Yes, for purposes of this discussion, whenever I refer to a base package upgrade, I'm assuming the "regular" upgrade, which includes the library and the full feature set.  I realize that it would be cheaper to subscribe to LN and then add a library, but I was evaluating complete upgrades.  

Posts 363
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 31 2016 11:07 PM

Thanks for clarification, but now I need further clarification.
what updates every 6 weeks? The previews and/or mobile ed and/or other things?
And, I thought I found Members Only training videos? 

MJ. Smith:

Batman:
Cons:

I'm beginning to take advantage of new video training. I think those are available for Now subscribers only-- not totally sure.

Clarifications:

• updates are every 6 weeks
  • video training is available to everyone

Posts 28762
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 31 2016 11:45 PM

Batman:
updates are every 6 weeks

The desktop application gets updates every 6 weeks - expanding features, expanding data and/or new features and datasets. The video training that corresponds is usually ready at release or very shortly thereafter. The Morris Proctor documentation is a bit slower. Previews and mobile ed update monthly but mobile ed usually has its items available for about 3 months IIRC.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 3:22 AM

MJ. Smith:
mobile ed usually has its items available for about 3 months IIRC.

Not sure about that, but have not paid close attention. However, the 3 month availability is a feature of the Mobile Ed Subscription plan.

The Logos Now page Now Members only says this about courses

Take a Seminary-Level Course for Free

Advance your theological education without leaving home. Logos Now members get access to select Mobile Ed content at no extra cost! Currently members can take NT156 The Significance of the Resurrection—featuring Douglas J. Moo, Ben Witherington, Elyse Fitzpatrick, Darrell L. Bock, and other scholars. This course is automatically added to your library as part of a Now membership.

From > See past preview resources is appears that courses have been offered only a few times, and then they seem to be a single month. However, that is not explicitly stated.

HTH

Posts 2024
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 3:35 AM

This thread is long and cannot read it all.  My question is simple:

If one owns L7 Platinum Standard, does he also own the full feature data sets except for what comes only in LN?  OR if he wants to own the data sets, does he need to purchases the full feature sets?

Thanks

Mark

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 3:41 AM

Mark:
If one owns L7 Platinum Standard, does he also own the full feature data sets except for what comes only in LN?  OR if he wants to own the data sets, does he need to purchases the full feature sets?

That depends on what you mean by "owns L7 Platinum Standard".

If you mean "owns L7 Platinum Standard library", then 'no'. If you means "owns L7 Platinum Standard base package" then 'yes'.

If L7, a base package is a Library plus a Feature Set — but you can buy both separately if you wish. If you're buying a base package, you'll see two products in your card - the library, and the feature set. By default, the website will add both products for non-members, and just the library for members.

Posts 2024
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 3:56 AM

THanks Mark

I just purchased the base package and got the email and saw the download etc. 

But the library still says Platnum L6 GK and LN

I have LN.  But I purchased the L7 Platinum standard base library (at least I think I did).  But I think you answered my question.  The email said I purchased the L7 Platinum library.  And I guess that is the reason why I had to pay a bit more if I wanted to OWN the full features.

I think that could have been clearer.  I purchased both the library and full features separately but I wish I could have done it in one purchase.  I know now it was possible, just did not seem to be so easy.  I thought I had researched this for a week before purchasing. 

At any rate, I guess I got what I wanted, the Library and the features (to OWN) and I still have LN.  That was what I wanted.

BUt why does the library still say Platinum L6 GK and LN?

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 4:39 AM

Mark:
I think that could have been clearer.  I purchased both the library and full features separately but I wish I could have done it in one purchase.  I know now it was possible, just did not seem to be so easy.  I thought I had researched this for a week before purchasing. 

Because Logos Now users don't need to purchase the feature set (and most won't want to), the website defaults to library-only for those users. But I agree it should be clearer.

Mark:

It doesn't matter, of course. Lots of us have multiple libraries, and the text has only ever shown the biggest (so if you had L5 Platinum and L6 Bronze, it would say L5 Platinum). I guess that the system thinks that the old L6 Platinum is 'bigger' than your new L7 Platinum library, and therefore that's the one that's chosen.

Posts 2024
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 5:09 AM

Mark Barnes:
I guess that the system thinks that the old L6 Platinum is 'bigger' than your new L7 Platinum library, and therefore that's the one that's chosen.

That is a terrible system.  I predict they will scrap it one day.  It should reflect what one currently has or it will be extremely confusing to people in the future.  The about page should state what we own currently regardless of whether it was a downgrade or upgrade.

Mark, as usual, you have been most helpful.  Thanks a lot.

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 5:17 AM

Mark Barnes:

Mark:

Because Logos Now users don't need to purchase the feature set (and most won't want to), the website defaults to library-only for those users. But I agree it should be clearer.

Hence, my suggestion from here:

Yasmin Stephen:

And while you're at it, would you, please, also consider adding a line of text [see screenshot below for an example] under the library product page for Logos Now members – some, despite LN membership, want to buy the Feature Set; make it easy for them, why don’t you?

Posts 2080
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 5:51 AM

Mark:

Mark Barnes:
I guess that the system thinks that the old L6 Platinum is 'bigger' than your new L7 Platinum library, and therefore that's the one that's chosen.

That is a terrible system.  I predict they will scrap it one day.  It should reflect what one currently has or it will be extremely confusing to people in the future.  The about page should state what we own currently regardless of whether it was a downgrade or upgrade.

It may be useful, under the new system, to only display what feature package (Starter, Full and Now). Knowing resource library is sometimes helpful, but nearly impossible to show since it's the accumulation of library packages across denoms and versions that would be helpful, but can be quite large.

EDIT: Actually, that suffers from the same problem. It's the accumulation of features across versions that is useful to know. A snapshot of the current package doesn't always provide enough info.

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 8:48 AM

Mark:

Seems to stick on the highest level package you have ever purchased—Mine says L5 Diamond although I have both L6 and L7 Platinum

Posts 2024
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 12:52 PM

Jack Caviness:

Mark:

Seems to stick on the highest level package you have ever purchased—My says L5 Diamond although I have both L6 and L7 Platinum

Tell me please how Platinum L6 is higher than Platinum L7?

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 1:04 PM

Mark:

Seems that you misread my post. I commented that my About Logos says L5 Diamond although I have both L6 and L7 Platinum. Diamond is the highest level package in those three versions of Logos; hence, it is the one indicated as my status.

Posts 931
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 1:14 PM

Jack Caviness:

Mark:

Seems that you misread my post. I commented that my About Logos says L5 Diamond although I have both L6 and L7 Platinum. Diamond is the highest level package in those three versions of Logos; hence, it is the one indicated as my status.

It's strange that Logos hasn't gotten this straightened out for many of us, not that it really matters. Then again, if it doesn't matter, why is it listed? Mine still shows mine as Reformed Diamond L5 even though I later upgraded to Reformed Diamond L6. Still, it's all fairly meaningless to me. I doubt I will buy another expensive library. I chose Standard Gold for L7 because of three particular sets offered that I didn't have.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Page 12 of 14 (269 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > | RSS