Was there much reason to get LogosNow?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 945
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 24 2016 12:18 PM

For those who subscribed to LNow before the release of L7, have you seen much reason to have done so?  My real question may be, what did I miss out on by not doing so?

Posts 100
N/A | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 12:44 PM
  1. Well when You clicked a logosref: -link for example here on the forums, the book opened in the web app. That saves some.
  2. You could get slowly accustomed to the paths Faithlife was taking - although the same was true for just following the forums.
  3. You were in much anticipation of books and glad a Library-only option would be offered if You were short of money. But it was equally hard to predict when L7 was going to come, if You even were interested in predicting that in the first place.
  4. You could open up Your mind and wallet to just decide what level of used base-package You'd want as a once-in-a-lifetime purchase, as Verbum Now or Logos Now was going to take care of keeping everything up to date, perhaps realizing You'd need to add som Feature Collections along the way (remember the ones that were going to provide some data for features included at various levels in L6). On launch day of L7 I didn't see any revamp of the Feature Collections yet and perhaps that's not planned either, as they function as before, brand new ones may be eventually offered and added though?
  5. You didn't have to wait for the next major release to tell Your friends about the software.

Well other than these points, some of the money I'm sure was lost - I could have invested a few $10 banknotes under other platforms instead.

L2 Catholic new; Used: ODCC L5 Reformed Silver L6 Full Crossgrade; L6 Chinese Bronze new; L6 Ancient Literature Feature Expansion Collection (25 vols.) new, no dynamic pricing. Before packs had 100 books incl. AYBRL new

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 1:12 PM

Everett Headley:
My real question may be, what did I miss out on by not doing so?

You basically missed out on most of what is now Logos 7, which we had in stages over the year. This is what I appreciated most:

1. Multiview — I thought this was pointless initially, but I use it all the time. It's value is in the ability to create saved multiview layouts that I can switch between with one click from the shortcuts bar — it means I can add in new Bible versions into my layout in a second, rather than in 30 seconds. That saves me several minutes each week, and has saved hours in total.
  2. Concordance — I don't use this all that often (and my use it less now we have Bible Browser), but there's no other way of getting an overview of an entire resource.
  3. Datasets, especially New Testament Use of the Old Testament, and Addressees in Reported Speech — these let me answer questions I couldn't easily answer before.
  4. Visual Filters, especially Emphasize Active Lemmas and Corresponding Words — little features, but I use them often.
  5. Courses Tool — I used the Courses tool a lot, as I really liked the ability to mark off what I'd studied in MobileEd.
Posts 1675
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 1:34 PM

I don't know if you'll consider this a "missing out" or not but you also missed being able to save 25% on the new feature set and an additional 5% on resource collections if you chose to upgrade. That could add up to some pretty good savings.

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 71
Jeffrey Visser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 1:47 PM

Rick:

I don't know if you'll consider this a "missing out" or not but you also missed being able to save 25% on the new feature set and an additional 5% on resource collections if you chose to upgrade. That could add up to some pretty good savings.

And you save the same 25% if you buy a base package such as bronze with it.    I opted to go that route, which was less of a hit on the budget and I get more books that I can keep.

Posts 1675
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 2:05 PM

Jeffrey Visser:

And you save the same 25% if you buy a base package such as bronze with it.    I opted to go that route, which was less of a hit on the budget and I get more books that I can keep.

Understood 😊

This is why I mentioned that it might not be considered "missing out". I know there are different routes to go with different options and dynamic pricing is different for most of us too. 👍🏻

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 71
Bryce Hufford | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 3:38 PM

Everett Headley:

For those who subscribed to LNow before the release of L7, have you seen much reason to have done so?  My real question may be, what did I miss out on by not doing so?

LN is newish and has come out right before the rollout out of L7 this week.   In my opinion jumping on the LN bandwagon hasn't added tremendous extra value yet; however, my guess is that in the next 6 months Logos will start rolling out some LN "exclusive" features that can be considered an early, early preview of an L8 feature.  To me, that is when you will start to see some real incentive to get LN.

Right now I am torn on whether to purchase LN or just purchase (to own) the L7 features.  From a cost standpoint, I can just purchase L7 and come out ahead; however, I suspect that in 6 months there will be some new features released on LN that I will really wish I had.  I think it is clear that Logos prefers users to jump on the LN train, so I'm sure they will continue to sprinkle in goodies to make it harder and harder to resist.  

Posts 22223
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 3:49 PM

Bryce Hufford:

LN is newish and has come out right before the rollout out of L7 this week.     

I don't understand this statement.

While Logos Niw has just been revamped / enhanced  it was initially released in early 2015 and has been providing real value to people for over 12 months.

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 4:00 PM

I can only report my experience with LN (from a value standpoint).  Being an LN subscriber, I saved about $55 on a new L7 package.  Plus, I received a $10 coupon.  Plus, I previewed (and used and benefited from!) a Craig Evans Mobile Ed course for free.  Plus, I received a small package of quality academic books for free (though I doubt I'll read them -- but who knows?).  I think I also saved several dollars with a coupon code I used to purchase one of the preview books.  Not to mention having early access to some of L7's new features.  Was it worth $89?  Absolutely! 

Posts 66
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 4:10 PM

Multiview and Concordance are my favorite. For a few bucks a month its a deal. 

Posts 461
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 6:58 PM

I've only had LN for 2 weeks, but I saved $36 on the L7 package I wanted and also got the $10 coupon.

I'm looking forward to using the new L8 features.

Posts 258
Aaron Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 7:20 PM

Hebrew Audio Pronunciation is included as well!

https://www.logos.com/product/5960/hebrew-audio-pronunciations

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 7:31 PM

Aaron Sauer:
Hebrew Audio Pronunciation is included as well!

Thanks for reminding me about this new addition. 

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS