Can I make a suggestion for the future "packages?"

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 24 2016 1:57 PM

After several SEVERAL hours of going back and forth and back and forth, I have decided, much to my surprise, to skip the packages and just upgrade to L7.  As someone who LOVES a good bargain and loves books, I thought for sure I would choose a package since discounts are said to be great.  However, I discovered that in every package I chose, I would have to purchase items I definitely would never use just to get the items I really wanted.  By the time I figured it all out, it wasn't worth a package price. Don't get me wrong, I saw two packages I really liked, but priced at close to $3,500.  Now, let me tell you what this reminds me of.

This year I bought a new car... and ORDERED IT.  I've never ordered a car before until the sales lady made it clear that in order to get what I wanted, I would need to special order it and wait for it to come in.  My problem was that in purchasing a car off the lot, in order to get the features I wanted, I would have to also pay for features I didn't want.  So, I special ordered the car and got EXACTLY what I wanted, and wound up paying less than if I bought it off the lot.

For me, this year, 80% or so of the books in the packages are books I never considered before, so it really isn't worth me purchasing a package.  HOWEVER, I would love it if we could maybe make our own bundle and then get a discount that is comparable to the packages that FL makes for us.   Now, I'm sure that there is some reason that wouldn't work, and I'm sure my ignorance to how all this works is showing, but a girl can dream.

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 2:09 PM

Certainly nothing wrong with dreaming!  

I agree that even in my library there are books I will likely never look at.  But I have often enough found that the cost of the packages as they are offsets that IF I am getting something I do want at a discount.

Case in point:  I'm staring at the L7 Platinum because it includes the Hermeneia series which I have wanted for a long time.  Because of the magic of upgrading math, it's cheaper for me to buy Platinum than it is to buy Hermeneia outright.  At this point I don't care if I'll never use the other stuff.

All I have to do now is convince Mrs. Black.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 789
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 2:16 PM

Kind of combining both stories, I would also love L7 Platinum, but can't right now because I just bought a car. Furthermore, I had already purchased Hermeneia (yes, get it!), so there's even a greater percentage of the fluff Cynthia is talking about if I go that route. So I may go her route.

Posts 1647
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 2:20 PM

Cynthia in Florida:
However, I discovered that in every package I chose, I would have to purchase items I definitely would never use just to get the items I really wanted.

It seems that this happens to me with every release. In the past, though, there has always been enough of a "Wow!" factor for me to go ahead with a package upgrade. This didn't happen for me this year. With Logos 6, I jumped up to Gold because I was amazed at some of the awesome works in that package for such a great savings.

This time may have been different simply because I think I've got all that I need in the area of commentaries (yes, I could be tempted with a $9.99 per volume sale, again!) and am only buying resources that I absolutely want (usually on sale). I just use Logos to study with. I don't teach, preach or know any of the original languages. So, I'm assuming that has a lot to do with it. Could I have been wowed? You bet, but I think Faithlife would have to lose a lot of money to get the package at a price that I would consider. Smile

Cynthia in Florida:
HOWEVER, I would love it if we could maybe make our own bundle and then get a discount that is comparable to the packages that FL makes for us.  

I think we would all love that! In fact, others have mentioned it in the past. I, like you, would imagine that Faithlife has very good reasons for not offering this.

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 787
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 2:47 PM

I think FL should start getting into the customized package route allowing you to remove books you don't want in the package.

Posts 5012
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 2:55 PM

I am to struggling to find a package with the Wow factor. There are bits and pieces I want but they are spread to thin across multiple library packages. I think I'll wait till the topical bundles for 7 appear before making a decision on any purchases. Being a Now member and thus already having 7 makes the   whole experience a bit underwhelming compared to the 4, 5 or 6 release. In all honesty I'm probably at resource saturation point in many ways too but the packages do offer some opportunities to get done bigger ticket items at a price ar lot lower than I'd get otherwise so the question is more about which if any of those bigger ticket items I really would benefit from having or do I just get the standard gold whuch is relatively cheap for me and like Cynthia just order the bits a pieces I want to complete some collections and get some missing resources related to m.ed courses I own.

Rick:

Cynthia in Florida:
However, I discovered that in every package I chose, I would have to purchase items I definitely would never use just to get the items I really wanted.

It seems that this happens to me with every release. In the past, though, there has always been enough of a "Wow!" factor for me to go ahead with a package upgrade. This didn't happen for me this year. With Logos 6, I jumped up to Gold because I was amazed at some of the awesome works in that package for such a great savings.

This time may have been different simply because I think I've got all that I need in the area of commentaries (yes, I could be tempted with a $9.99 per volume sale, again!) and am only buying resources that I absolutely want (usually on sale). I just use Logos to study with. I don't teach, preach or know any of the original languages. So, I'm assuming that has a lot to do with it. Could I have been wowed? You bet, but I think Faithlife would have to lose a lot of money to get the package at a price that I would consider. Smile

Cynthia in Florida:
HOWEVER, I would love it if we could maybe make our own bundle and then get a discount that is comparable to the packages that FL makes for us.  

I think we would all love that! In fact, others have mentioned it in the past. I, like you, would imagine that Faithlife has very good reasons for not offering this.

Posts 71
Jeffrey Visser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 3:02 PM

This is the first time that I didn't buy a bigger package.  I can't afford to spend a lot, but at 160 for the upgrade, I did look around.  I found that if I added a bronze package, I could spend another $30-$50 to get between 60-90 books depending on the flavor I choose.  I found one that would give me more than the extra money I spent in books that I felt I would use for academics and ministry. That plan decreased the upgrade to $120 so it was worth it.  Last year, the bundles had the resources I wanted and I ended up buying several base packages over the year. In the future I will be sticking to subject matter packages that match my needs.

Posts 26492
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 3:08 PM

What I find interesting is that this is the first time I've had packages with a wow factor due to the inclusion of the English Bible Collection in Anglican packages; of Classics of Western Spirituality in Anglican, Lutheran and Catholic packages; the release of the Vulgate interlinear; the inclusion of the Father of the Church series ... I wonder if what has happened is that some traditions already have most of their "wow resources" while other traditions are just beginning to get them.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 71
Jeffrey Visser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 3:12 PM

Maybe when school is done and I can read what I want, I will be excited again.....

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 3:20 PM

MJ. Smith:

What I find interesting is that this is the first time I've had packages with a wow factor due to the inclusion of the English Bible Collection in Anglican packages; of Classics of Western Spirituality in Anglican, Lutheran and Catholic packages; the release of the Vulgate interlinear; the inclusion of the Father of the Church series ... I wonder if what has happened is that some traditions already have most of their "wow resources" while other traditions are just beginning to get them.

Fantastic observation!  That may be the case indeed.

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 1647
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 3:28 PM

MJ. Smith:
I wonder if what has happened is that some traditions already have most of their "wow resources" while other traditions are just beginning to get them.

I think that is a very good assumption. I was saddened when I heard that the Verbum staff was being cut as much as they were. I was hoping that they were actually growing at a good rate. From my very limited knowledge, it seems those who use Verbum have historically been under represented in Logos.

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 11:52 PM

I'm finding I'm not as gung ho about Base Packages anymore. I've been buying a lot of stand-alone sets over the past year. But some of the lower-tiered packages are attractive, because I can get several books for $20 or $30.

In Logos 6, I had worked my way up to Reformed Portfolio, Regular Portfolio, Pentecostal Silver, Baptist Diamond, and Anglican Bronze, which is why I probably feel like I have more than enough. For a while I wanted Collectors, but I really only wanted it just to have the highest package. There's a lot in it I don't need or want, so I think I'm finally cured of that desire.

For L7, I've already purchased Methodist Bronze for only $29, and got a nice amount of books. I will also get Anglican Bronze and Regular Bronze, which will cost me another $80 or so. The bigger packages aren't attractive to me right now. I do want Anchor Yale Commentary, but I will probably buy it on its own. Originally I was going to get it by purchasing Collectors Edition.

Author of the Chronological Word Truth Life Bible Series

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 9:38 AM

Cynthia Tucker:

I'm finding I'm not as gung ho about Base Packages anymore. I've been buying a lot of stand-alone sets over the past year. But some of the lower-tiered packages are attractive, because I can get several books for $20 or $30.

In Logos 6, I had worked my way up to Reformed Portfolio, Regular Portfolio, Pentecostal Silver, Baptist Diamond, and Anglican Bronze, which is why I probably feel like I have more than enough. For a while I wanted Collectors, but I really only wanted it just to have the highest package. There's a lot in it I don't need or want, so I think I'm finally cured of that desire.

For L7, I've already purchased Methodist Bronze for only $29, and got a nice amount of books. I will also get Anglican Bronze and Regular Bronze, which will cost me another $80 or so. The bigger packages aren't attractive to me right now. I do want Anchor Yale Commentary, but I will probably buy it on its own. Originally I was going to get it by purchasing Collectors Edition.

My thinking is very similar to yours. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS