FAQ: Should customers buy Logos Now membership or the Feature Set?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 24 2016 3:39 PM

In Logos 7, base packages come in two sections: the library (which is all the books), and the feature set (which is all the datasets and features). You can get the features in two ways: either as an outright purchase, or as an annual rental through Logos Now. Here are what I see as the pros and cons of Now Membership:

Pros:

• Logos Now not only gives you all the features of Logos 7, but every six weeks you'll also get new features or datasets, throughout the life of your subscription.
  • Logos Now gives you access to some tools that aren't available to purchase, such as Bible Browser and the Logos web app.
  • Logos Now means a lower upfront cost. Members save money in two ways: (1) They don't need to buy the feature set; (2) they get an additional 10% discount on library-only purchases. A Logos Now member buying a Library for the first time will save $449.99 compared to a non-member buying a Library+Feature Set ($149.99 for Starter).*
  • Logos Now gives you some additional benefits such as more media, occasional discounts and monthly resource previews.

Cons:

• If you ever stop subscribing, you'll lose access to nearly all of Logos' best features (although you'll still be able to read and search your books).
  • The resale value of your library will be lower if you don't own a Feature Set.

Recommendation:

• If you're buying new, you're probably better off buying Logos Now, and not the feature set, even if you don't like the idea of renting. The $449.99 you'd save will pay for four and a half years of Logos Now. If you receive one improvement every six weeks, you'll get 39 improvements by the time you reach break-even point. If you like the sound of that, buy Logos Now. If you'd prefer no future financial commitment even if that means missing out on future developments, buy the Feature Set.
  • If you're upgrading, particularly from Logos 6, the savings are reduced, so the decision is more difficult. Make sure you get a sales rep to give you quotation for the costs for both options, so you can work out the value for yourself — then go with your instincts (if you must own, go for the Feature Set; if you want to spread the cost or you want future improvements, go for Logos Now).

A note for those committed to purchasing:

• Normally, if you're going to buy the Feature Set and the Library, there's no financial gain in also joining Logos Now. However, during Special Offers it might be cheaper to buy Logos Now membership and a Feature Set than it is to buy the Feature Set without Now membership. With the current sale, that's true for new packages from Diamond upwards (additional savings range from $82 for Diamond to $150 for Collectors).

* At the time of writing there are additional discounts, so the range of savings varies from $142.24 for Starter to $922.49 for Collectors. Those receiving academic discounts will see savings ranging from $78.62 to $773.99.

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 2:03 AM

Mark Barnes:

A note for those committed to purchasing:

• Normally, if you're going to buy the Feature Set and the Library, there's no financial gain in also joining Logos Now. However, during Special Offers it might be cheaper to buy Logos Now membership and a Feature Set than it is to buy the Feature Set without Now membership. With the current sale, that's true for new packages from Diamond upwards (additional savings range from $82 for Diamond to $150 for Collectors).

* At the time of writing there are additional discounts, so the range of savings varies from $142.24 for Starter to $922.49 for Collectors. Those receiving academic discounts will see savings ranging from $78.62 to $773.99.

Mark, maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but I'm not seeing an increasing discount on the Features set when I put a bigger package in my cart. I have Logos Now, so I went and found the features set and put it in my cart. Then I started from the Gold Package and went up to Portfolio, putting each package in my cart to see if it would affect the price of the Features Set, but the price stayed the same. 

The Features price is discounted in my cart, but not further discounted based on the package chosen, as it seems you indicated should happen. Is this something only Customer Service can do or am I misunderstanding what you meant?

Author of the Chronological Word Truth Life Bible Series

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 3:47 AM

Cynthia Tucker:
The Features price is discounted in my cart, but not further discounted based on the package chosen, as it seems you indicated should happen. Is this something only Customer Service can do or am I misunderstanding what you meant?

I'm not saying you'll get an additional discount on Features. I'm saying that the savings you'll make compared to non-members will change during a sale. But as a Now member, you won't be able to see the differential, because you won't be able to access the pricing a non-member would see. The only way for you to see non-member pricing is to use Phil's Discount Calculator.

Under normal circumstances, base packages (library+feature set) for non-members are priced to be $449.99 higher than a library for members, regardless of the package size. But in a sale situation the maths changes, and the price differential begins to vary according to package size. 

In the current sale, members get a 15% discount, whilst non-members get a 10% discount. That sounds as though members should be much better off, but remember the purchase price is much lower for members. So they're getting a bigger percentage discount but on a lower price. That means for cheaper packages (below Gold), the difference between members and non-members is lower during the sale. But for more expensive packages, the difference between members and non-members is higher during the sale.

But to give an example for a new Diamond customer:

• Without the current sale a member would be $3,000 for the library, whilst a non-member would be $3,449.99 for the base package (so $449.99 difference, as expected).
  • During the current sale, the 15% discount for members brings their price down to $2,550, whilst the 10% discount for non-members brings their price down to $3,104.99. The price differential is now $554.99, so the gap has widened. At this level of differential, it's worth buying a Logos Now membership even if you intend to buy the entire base package because the extra discount outweighs the cost.

But for smaller base packages the maths changes. This is for Silver:

• Without the current sale a member would be $550 for the library, whilst a non-member would be $999.99 for the base package (so $449.99 difference, as expected).
  • During the current sale, the 15% discount for members brings their price down to $467.50, whilst the 10% discount for non-members brings their price down to $849.99. The price differential is now $382.49, so the gap has narrowed. At this level of differential, it's not worth buying a Logos Now membership just to get the discount, because it will cost you more than you will save.

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 5:00 AM

Ah ok, makes sense. Thanks for explaining in such detail. I just want to make sure I'm not leaving any money on the table! Big Smile

Mark Barnes:

Cynthia Tucker:

I'm not saying you'll get an additional discount on Features. I'm saying that the savings you'll make compared to non-members will change during a sale. But as a Now member, you won't be able to see the differential, because you won't be able to access the pricing a non-member would see. The only way for you to see non-member pricing is to use Phil's Discount Calculator.

Under normal circumstances, base packages (library+feature set) for non-members are priced to be $449.99 higher than a library for members, regardless of the package size. But in a sale situation the maths changes, and the price differential begins to vary according to package size. 

In the current sale, members get a 15% discount, whilst non-members get a 10% discount. That sounds as though members should be much better off, but remember the purchase price is much lower for members. So they're getting a bigger percentage discount but on a lower price. That means for cheaper packages (below Gold), the difference between members and non-members is lower during the sale. But for more expensive packages, the difference between members and non-members is higher during the sale.

But to give an example for a new Diamond customer:

• Without the current sale a member would be $3,000 for the library, whilst a non-member would be $3,449.99 for the base package (so $449.99 difference, as expected).
  • During the current sale, the 15% discount for members brings their price down to $2,550, whilst the 10% discount for non-members brings their price down to $3,104.99. The price differential is now $554.99, so the gap has widened. At this level of differential, it's worth buying a Logos Now membership even if you intend to buy the entire base package because the extra discount outweighs the cost.

But for smaller base packages the maths changes. This is for Silver:

• Without the current sale a member would be $550 for the library, whilst a non-member would be $999.99 for the base package (so $449.99 difference, as expected).
  • During the current sale, the 15% discount for members brings their price down to $467.50, whilst the 10% discount for non-members brings their price down to $849.99. The price differential is now $382.49, so the gap has narrowed. At this level of differential, it's not worth buying a Logos Now membership just to get the discount, because it will cost you more than you will save.

Author of the Chronological Word Truth Life Bible Series

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 927
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 5:05 AM

Thank you for laying this out, Mark.

I own Logos 6 and do not intend to purchase a large Logos 7 library (I've been adding base packages and individual books since buying Logos 3 Gold), hence my conundrum. I am probably going to add L7 Gold, not one of the expensive libraries, so the Logos Now discount would not that great for me. Still, I am very tempted to join Logos Now.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS