Base package and library recommendations

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 11
Gary Seddon | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 24 2016 10:55 PM

Hello! 

This is my first ever post here!

I have just started attending a Master in Theology course part time and have been looking at Logos as a tool to use in my studies, and beyond.

It just so happens that Logos 7 came out at the exact same time I started looking into the software.

Anyway, the costs for Logos are pretty high for me at this point, but I know it would greatly help me. So I am trying to make an informed decision so I don't regret anything! 

I found a great buyers guide online for Logos 6 packages by Mark Barnes. Though I assume the libraries have changed a lot for Logos 7?

I was wondering if anyone had recommendation for what base package would be good for me to start with? I heard that Gold was been recommended in the past. Do you think the current standard Gold library is still as good? Or a different tradition Gold?

Just wanting to hear thoughts from people who have a good idea of what resources are useful! I have no idea what I'd want to be honest.. haha.

Posts 4642
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 12:55 AM

Greetings Gary

Congratulations on starting the course.

Given that you are going to buy a base package of some sort there is no substitute for manual method of hunting through your reading list for the course and finding the package that includes most of the material.

Even more time consuming, but valuable, will be seeing if you can find out who the authors of the material quote most often. It is these underlying resources that you may be able to access that will really save time in your studies. Being able to see what Calvin actually wrote in the context in which he wrote it (for example) will help you form an opinion on the leanings and proclivities of the author you are studying.

When you have done the leg-work you will have your answer. Of course your professor or somebody in the faculty may well have done this for your course - it never hurts to ask.

Access to works quoted varies significantly across the libraries, in particular I have found that very few of the works quoted by N T Wright are available but other authors (especially quoting 18th and 19th Century authors) are well supported.

Whichever way you go a subscription to Logos Now will add considerable value (to you) to your package.

Posts 1257
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 12:56 AM

Shalom Gary and welcome to the forums!

Gary Seddon:

I assume the libraries have changed a lot for Logos 7?

You are right. With every major release of the software Logos will put together new base packages.

Gary Seddon:

I heard that Gold was been recommended in the past.

In the past only the higher packages (Gold and up) contained all the software features and data sets. With Logos 7 even the Bronze and Silver packages will give you the complete feature set. However, you can also choose to subscribe to Logos Now which will give you access to all software features for an annual fee. If you are a Logos Now subscriber the price for the base packages will be lower since there is no need to buy the software features and you just buy the library part of the base packages. You should decide for yourself if you like to own your books but not the software (although the core engine is free to download!).

Gary Seddon:

I was wondering if anyone had recommendation for what base package would be good for me to start with?

This depends on a lot of factors. In general I would say you should choose the package you can afford.

May the Lord bless your studies!

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 4:03 AM

Gary Seddon:
I found a great buyers guide online for Logos 6 packages by Mark Barnes. Though I assume the libraries have changed a lot for Logos 7?

The packages have changed a lot. I'm working on a revised guide, but it will take a while. Tell us a little more about your theological convictions and what you're looking for with the software (original languages? sermon prep? theology? historical theology?), and we may be able to give you some advice.

Posts 325
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 4:39 AM

Hi Gary

You may also want to see if you are eligible for academic pricing https://www.logos.com/academic-discount 

All the best with your studies!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS