Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 25 2016 6:04 AM

I have been searching Forums, and may not be using the right question, 

Does LogosNow require an internet connections every month to continue to work?  I know certain tools are only available with an internet connection, but if I do not buy the Logos 7 FFS, and stay with the LogosNow subscription what happens when I go out to sea for six months?  As a military Chaplain, I rely on my Logos to get me through deployments.  The example I am thinking of is a music service that needs to be updated every 30 days or you no longer have access to the music until the "license" is refreshed.

Up until now, with the monthly service option, I shut it off when I was heading out beyond internet range, and just resubscribed when back inside, but that was when I had my fully functioning Logos 6, the year long commitment changes that.

I appreciate your time, with Warmest Regards,

DP

Posts 503
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 7:07 AM

As far as I know it is not necessary to be online to use most Logos Now tools. Only those that need internet connection

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 7:14 AM

David A. Peterson:
Up until now, with the monthly service option, I shut it off when I was heading out beyond internet range, and just resubscribed when back inside, but that was when I had my fully functioning Logos 6, the year long commitment changes that.

I'd be 99% certain that with the new annual subscription, you'll be OK using Logos Now until the expiry date of your temporary licences. If you needed to renew whilst you were away, however, you could become unstuck (although you can preload Logos Now subscriptions ahead of time). An employee would need to confirm, however. I'll ask one to drop by.

Posts 351
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 9:48 AM

David A. Peterson:
Does LogosNow require an internet connections every month to continue to work?  

No... and yes.

No, the Logos application [knows if/when licenses will expire, and] doesn't need to "check in" periodically online to make sure you still have a valid license. If you are offline for an extended period, Logos will keep working the same as the day you unplugged [, until the subscription period ends].

Yes, there are some Logos features (and Now-exclusive features) which require internet connection: Bible Browser, Lemma in Passage, Media Tool, and others. 

Yes, you need an internet connection to get the latest updates. This may go without saying, but one of the main benefits of Logos Now is early access to new features as our developers create and release them every 6 weeks; these updates of course require an internet connection to download.

One last thing to be aware of: It looks like you are currently on the monthly Logos Now subscription, which as you know, is being phased out. If you leave it, it will auto-renew until Dec 31, 2016, at which point you would need to switch to annual. If you cancel the monthly subscription any time before then, annual will be the only option to re-subscribe.

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 11:52 AM

Adam, thank you for your response.

Adam Borries (Faithlife):

No, the Logos application doesn't need to "check in" periodically online to make sure you still have a valid license. If you are offline for an extended period, Logos will keep working the same as the day you unplugged.

This was my concern, as I plan to keep LogosNow at least until the end of the year.  So just to rephrase to ensure that I understand correctly, if I purchase say Logs 7 Gold, without the FFS, and keep my LogosNow, I will be able to continue to enjoy the Logos 7 features that are available offline, even past the date off my current subscription, until I log back on.  

Thanks again for response,

Warmest Regards,

DP 

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 11:52 AM

Thanks Mark, greatly appreciate it. 

Posts 351
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 1:17 PM

David A. Peterson:
even past the date off my current subscription

Ah... this is a crucial part of your question that I didn't understand before, and I'm afraid it changes the answer. 

No, those Logos 7 features would not continue after the current subscription cycle ends. Logos knows the end-date of those licenses, so unless it can connect and establish that you have re-subscribed, access to subscription resources and features are removed from the application when the date passes, even if you are offline.

I'm sorry for getting your hopes up; I'll edit my previous response to be more correct. The safest thing would be to cancel your monthly renewal and start an annual membership before going offline.

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 3:36 AM

Adam, I really appreciate the time Adam, and I am getting closer to asking the right question.

Adam Borries (Faithlife):
Logos knows the end-date of those licenses

If I stack the subscriptions, as Mark has explained in other forums, does that push the end-date of the license to the last date of the multiple subscriptions (meaning if I buy two subscriptions in January, does my end-license date show up as January 2019) or does it show up as January 2018, and then "auto-renew" for the final year.

I am hoping it is the former, as then if I did have a deployment that ran between subscriptions, I would be able to continue to use functionality until I was able to refresh the license.

Warmest Regards,

DP

Posts 351
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 2:38 PM

David A. Peterson:
If I stack the subscriptions...does that push the end-date of the license to the last date of the multiple subscriptions

Yes.

Suppose your current monthly subscription is set to renew on Sept 15.
If you buy an annual membership today, it will be valid until Sept 15, 2017.
Our website will only let you have one year in your Cart at a time. But if you then add another annual membership to your cart and purchase again, it add a year to the same subscription, making it valid until Sept 15, 2018.

In any scenario, Logos will continue to work offline until the last end-date it was able to verify online.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS