Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 26 2016 2:00 AM

I'm sure that Phil Gons explained how existing Logos Now Members could buy additional years ahead of the planned price rise.

This seems like a good deal but I can't find the post that explains how to do this. 

Do I simply have to add a Logos Now subscription to my basket and purchase or is there a special link?

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 2:03 AM

Graham Owen:
Do I simply have to add a Logos Now subscription to my basket and purchase or is there a special link?

You just add the annual subscription to your basket. You can't purchase multiple subscriptions in one transaction, so if you want to add multiple years you have to do it in separate transactions.

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 2:21 AM

Thanks Mark I'll give it a go.

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 2:49 AM

Mark Barnes:
You just add the annual subscription to your basket.

Works perfectly, I'm now paid up until 2018... Now just need to decide if I want to buy additional years at the saving before the end of the year. It will also be interesting to see how existing members will be able to use future offers the extend our subscription.

Personally after resisting for a while I have started to move to subscription models where they work.

I know that Office 365 does not work for many but Home is really good for me as 5 licenses is the perfect number (three adult children) and there are often offers so I managed to buy 3 one year prepaid subscription cards for about half the price of buying enough new licenses with that added benefit that I can configure the PCs of the less technical members of the family to use OneDrive as a file store significantly reducing the number of lost files.

For me the "lights on moment" was the realisation that I needed a different buying philosophy if I was to embrace subscription and also consider other possible benefits.

My other subscriptions are for music listening and creation.

I'm sure that subscription will increasingly make more sense. Part of the challenge now is the variation between models. If I think of the four that I have, one ends access if I terminate, another freezes at the end point, Logos reverts me to the "default" free engine plus tools that I own a permanent license for and the fourth reverts to a limited ad paid for version. This lack of consistency is confusing for consumers but it is not Faithlife's fault.

Personally I'm OK with the way that the Logos Now model is shaping up. It took me a while to get my head around things and it would definitely be clearer if the license type for Logos Now was either "Membership" or "Logos Now" as I think "Temporary" is really inaccurate and unnecessarily emotive.

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 9:05 AM

Graham Owen:

Mark Barnes:
You just add the annual subscription to your basket.

Works perfectly, I'm now paid up until 2018... Now just need to decide if I want to buy additional years at the saving before the end of the year. It will also be interesting to see how existing members will be able to use future offers the extend our subscription.

Personally after resisting for a while I have started to move to subscription models where they work.

I know that Office 365 does not work for many but Home is really good for me as 5 licenses is the perfect number (three adult children) and there are often offers so I managed to buy 3 one year prepaid subscription cards for about half the price of buying enough new licenses with that added benefit that I can configure the PCs of the less technical members of the family to use OneDrive as a file store significantly reducing the number of lost files.

For me the "lights on moment" was the realisation that I needed a different buying philosophy if I was to embrace subscription and also consider other possible benefits.

My other subscriptions are for music listening and creation.

I'm sure that subscription will increasingly make more sense. Part of the challenge now is the variation between models. If I think of the four that I have, one ends access if I terminate, another freezes at the end point, Logos reverts me to the "default" free engine plus tools that I own a permanent license for and the fourth reverts to a limited ad paid for version. This lack of consistency is confusing for consumers but it is not Faithlife's fault.

Personally I'm OK with the way that the Logos Now model is shaping up. It took me a while to get my head around things and it would definitely be clearer if the license type for Logos Now was either "Membership" or "Logos Now" as I think "Temporary" is really inaccurate and unnecessarily emotive.

I'm trying to get to where you are, Graham, accepting that "subscription will increasingly make more sense." It does seem that the software industry is moving in that direction, though Logos Now is an ownership/subscription combo because one still owns one's books.

One hour I'm ready to sign onto Logos Now and the next I hesitate. I don't like the idea of having to revert to my Logos 6 feature/data sets down the road if I no longer subscribe, and I don't like the idea of the extra expense of joining Logos Now plus purchasing the feature sets in order to ensure I don't lose them later. Maybe I'm just trying to hold onto a security blanket.

Still, it's hard for me to see that Logos won't do right by Logos Now members. I cannot help but think that something will be done later in order to keep a Logos Now member from having to revert to Logos 6 feature/data sets if they are no longer able to subscribe when Logos 12 comes out. Faithlife just hasn't figured it out yet.

See, I've again almost talked myself into joining Logos Now. Smile.

I may just buy the full feature set for Logos 7 and then reevaluate in a couple of years.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 10:01 AM

Bill Moore:
I'm trying to get to where you are, Graham, accepting that "subscription will increasingly make more sense."

Enjoy the journey Bill, its not easy and it can be difficult to be sure you are "doing the right thing" or "getting the best deal".

Problem here is I don't think anyone can tell you why you should go for Logos Now we can only explain why we did.

I have had a Logos Now subscription for 15 months, I pay annually so I guess to date it has cost me $112.50, for that I have had access to a number of temporary resources, one was a Logos Mobile Ed that I completed in the month, the Logos Now only features, like Bible Browser, and the some of the new Logos 7 features.

In the last week I have realised a saving on the upgrade, because I don't need to buy the new featured, plus an extra 5% off the Libraries I have purchased as part of the upgrade deals. 

Overall I would say that I have received value from the subscription. 

Worse thing I found about making the switch was having to think longer term. For example, doing Office 360 for the family I had to factor in that we typically change PCs every 4/5 years and we normally end up with some of us on the current version of Office and the others on the previous. In crude terms I need to buy 1 or 1.25 licenses every year. Looking at it this way Office 360 home made financial sense with the benefit that we all have the latest. Big downside with the Microsoft model is we all lose everything if I stop paying.

With Logos Now I know that I can revert to ownership if I want to, there is the unknown about what this would cost when Logos 8 comes out but my working assumption here is that it would be similar to it is now,

So to stay current on Logos will eventually cost me $100 a year so $200 for each version assuming the 2 year release cycle.

Buying back in at a future release, assuming that the current prices are a good guide, would be $400 and if I am still a Logos Now member I would get a discount on this price. I know others have looked at the numbers in more detail but my rough calculations suggest that for me, other than paying Faithlife some of the money in advance, I am not being financially disadvantaged by this arrangement.

Only downside that I can see is that if I do want to become an owner again and drop Logos Now I will only be able to purchase the features that are then available as permanent licenses so would lose access to any that Logos introduce and deprecate while I rely on Logos Now. I would of course also lose access to the Logos Now only features.

If I understand the current position then I think that Matthew 20:1-16 is worth reading because ability to take out a Logos Now subscription and use the upgrade benefits seems pretty good to me.

Posts 9097
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 10:13 AM

Bill Moore:
I cannot help but think that something will be done later in order to keep a Logos Now member from having to revert to Logos 6 feature/data sets if they are no longer able to subscribe when Logos 12 comes out.

I had the sense (unoffically) FL was doing that already by making feature sets less expensive for Now users. Since I'm a Now user that's hard for me to be absolutely sure of, as I only see my price. If what I think they are doing now is correct, then FL is essentially discounting the buy in price for Logos Now subscribers. There's still a cost, of course, but it's a bit lower for being a Now subscriber.

I'd be glad to get more clarity on this. Perhaps I've missed what's already been stated elsewhere.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 11:13 AM

Thanks, Graham, for your insight.

Mark, I think you're right about what Logos is trying to do. It's a little confused by the better introductory discounts offered with the release of Logos 7. 

I may go ahead and join because the extra discount a Now member gets on the L7 Gold package, in my case, would lower the L7 Gold library by about $20, effectively making the first year of Now about $70.

If Logos would give some credit to Logos Now members who have remained with the program a certain length of time an additional discount for the full feature set, that would help. And, then again, who knows what Logos software will look like in a few years? Whatever the case, I trust Faithlife to do the right thing.

I'm just trying to get to where some of you guys are with accepting this paradigm shift. I appreciate any help getting there.

Posts 3111
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 1:11 PM

Bill Moore:
If Logos would give some credit to Logos Now members who have remained with the program a certain length of time an additional discount for the full feature set, that would help. And, then again, who knows what Logos software will look like in a few years? Whatever the case, I trust Faithlife to do the right thing.

I don't know about you, but as a Verbum Now subscriber I got a special (small) coupon code to use on my next purchase (of whatever) when Logos/Verbum 7 came out. I imagine it was probably the same amount that every other Now subscriber got, but it was something. Perhaps 8 will have something else.

Bill Moore:
I may go ahead and join because the extra discount a Now member gets on the L7 Gold package, in my case, would lower the L7 Gold library by about $20, effectively making the first year of Now about $70.

Don't forget that the Logos Now members page also has rotating Now-only discounts (also available to Verbum Now subscribers). If any of the present products or anything in the next year is something you want to get, Now will continue to help pay for itself.

This is speculation, but I expect the Now members page's discounts to trend better--in terms of number of resources at a time and possibly percentage-wise too--as time passes. Already there are plenty more Now customers than there were when the present batch of discounts were put up.

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 1:29 PM

SineNomine:

Bill Moore:

I don't know about you, but as a Verbum Now subscriber I got a special (small) coupon code to use on my next purchase (of whatever) when Logos/Verbum 7 came out. I imagine it was probably the same amount that every other Now subscriber got, but it was something. Perhaps 8 will have something else.

Bill Moore:

Don't forget that the Logos Now members page also has rotating Now-only discounts (also available to Verbum Now subscribers). If any of the present products or anything in the next year is something you want to get, Now will continue to help pay for itself.

This is speculation, but I expect the Now members page's discounts to trend better--in terms of number of resources at a time and possibly percentage-wise too--as time passes. Already there are plenty more Now customers than there were when the present batch of discounts were put up.

Good points about the Now-only discounts. Although I've slowed my purchases a lot, I do purchase a fairly large resource on occasion.

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 2:59 PM

I've subscribed to Logos Now because it appears to me that the cost of an annual membership is always going to be cheaper than buying full feature sets every couple of years. And obviously LN membership has other benefits. Some say they want to be able to leave Logos as a full-featured tool to someone else someday. If I give someone my Logos library someday, I don't think they'll mind paying the same annual membership fee I did in order to use it. And because I do own the Logos 6 features, the library is usable without a membership.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS