This marketing strategy has me thoroughly confused.

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 12
Bud Brown | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 26 2016 3:58 PM

For the last three years I've been buried in research, teaching graduate courses, and writing books.

The other day an email hits my inbox giving me the skinny on Logos 7. Since I had time to come up for air, I thought I'd check it out.

<rant:"on">

All I can is is I am absolutely, totally, thoroughly, exhaustively, and comprehensively confused by the way these products are being offered.

• Logos Now. Okay, it seems to make sense, but how is it distinct from buying L7 outright?
  • Logos 7. Where is the "features and benefits" comparison against L6 to help me decide if it makes sense? It may be somewhere on the site, but if it is, it's buried.
  • Crazy expensive new packages

I've tried making some headway, but I have to say - this is (please pardon my word choice here, but I spent a number of years in marketing before entering vocational ministry) the stupidest thing I think I've ever seen.

After spending hours comparing all of the packages against the holdings I already own, I can find 10 or 12 volumes I'd consider purchasing, but that's it. But in order to get them it seems that I have to purchase a "discounted" package in excess of $8000?

</rant>

Nowhere do I see a simple path which says, "If all you want is the new Logos 7 engine and the handful of datasets unique to it, click here."

Anybody got that link?

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 4:07 PM

It appears to be more of a monetization strategy rather than a marketing strategy.  It is designed to bring in as much recurring income into the company as possible a la Adobe and Microsoft.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 4:10 PM

Bud Brown:

Nowhere do I see a simple path which says, "If all you want is the new Logos 7 engine and the handful of datasets unique to it, click here."

Anybody got that link?

This is the link. https://www.logos.com/product/120029/logos-7-full-feature-set 

Author of the Chronological Word Truth Life Bible Series

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 12
Bud Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 4:11 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I feel as though I've been released from bondage!

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 4:24 PM

Bud, if you go to the Logos.com homepage and click on Products (upper left), you'll find links in the left-hand column for Logos Bible Software.  These links will take you to detailed info about Logos 7.

Posts 12
Bud Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 4:26 PM

Detailed info is EXACTLY what I don't want.

I want information that is:

• Crystal clear
  • Concise

The guys at Logos are brilliant developers and gracious people who genuinely want to serve the Lord by empowering his people to more fully understand the Word.

But it is clear that they don't know how to market what they've got. (How much you wanna bet that their phone lines are burning up, that the wait times are ridiculous, and that everyone's working waaay too many hours on this roll out?)

Posts 955
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 4:31 PM

Let us know if you would like to see a comparison chart of resources at the various base package levels.  (Respecting your desire for not too much detail.)  You may find it helpful.

Posts 12
Bud Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 4:33 PM

Steve:

Let us know if you would like to see a comparison chart of resources at the various base package levels.  (Respecting your desire for not too much detail.)  You may find it helpful.

I've already been through those in minute detail, as I said in the sixth paragraph of the OP in this thread. (Details can getcha, can't they?).

Posts 12
Bud Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 4:33 PM

Tony Thomas:

It appears to be more of a monetization strategy rather than a marketing strategy.  It is designed to bring in as much recurring income into the company as possible a la Adobe and Microsoft.

Perhaps, but I'm not with you on that.

Of course they have to generate income and remain profitable. The only people who begrudge them that are those who have no idea of what it means to operate a sustainable business or ministry model.

I want to see them profitable until the day I die so I don't have to worry about my current investment in their resources going the way of all those cool Atari games.

But, if this were a pure monetization play, it is poorly executed.

Adobe and Microsoft play in a different sandbox.

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 4:34 PM

All I can suggest, Bud, is that you follow those links.  If you still have specific questions, you can post them here.

Posts 25031
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 5:12 PM

Bud Brown:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I feel as though I've been released from bondage!

The full feature set will not give you the datasets unique to Logos 7 unless you already have all the datasets applicable to Logos 6. This cumulative method of acquiring datasets began with Logos 6 after it was found that providing unique datasets (e.g. Logos 5 ones independently of Logos 4 datasets), created confusion/disappointment amongst users who were missing essential and/or dependent datasets/resources.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1
Dr. Charles E. Wesley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 5:13 PM

Bud, Maybe this will help. You can either buy Logos 7 feature set or one of the base packages. You then own the new version with all the new features and datasets. Or you can become a Logos Now member. Then you will have access to use Logos 7 and all future features as long as you maintain the membership. In other words you can buy what is currently available or you can rent the current version and future features. Just remember if you have a Logos Now membership and later discontinue the membership you will lose all the added feature sets since your last purchase. A good approach may be to become a Logos Now member on a monthly basis for two or three months. This will give you time to explore which is best for you at minimal cost. I already had a Logos Now membership so I just continued with my membership. I already had a lot of resources so I don't need to buy one of the base packages. If I later want to discontinue my membership I will just buy the feature set for Logos 7. Remember the difference basically is between buying or renting.

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 5:23 PM

Dr. Charles E. Wesley:

A good approach may be to become a Logos Now member on a monthly basis for two or three months. This will give you time to explore which is best for you at minimal cost. 

The ability to do a monthly Now membership is no longer available. It is annually now. 

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 10575
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 5:24 PM

Dr. Charles E. Wesley:
Remember the difference basically is between buying or renting.

Logos Now is much more than that. https://www.logos.com/now 

Posts 26755
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 5:24 PM

Dr. Charles E. Wesley:
Logos 7 feature set or one of the base packages.

Clarification. You may buy the library only version of the base package OR purchase both the library and feature set.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 955
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 5:39 PM

Bud Brown:

Steve:

I've already been through those in minute detail, as I said in the sixth paragraph of the OP in this thread. (Details can getcha, can't they?).

I was referring to a list of books for each level

Sorry, you made your point.

Posts 5089
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 6:02 PM

MJ. Smith:

Dr. Charles E. Wesley:
Logos 7 feature set or one of the base packages.

Clarification. You may buy the library only version of the base package OR purchase both the library and feature set.

Incorrect you  purchase the feature set, either starter or full on its own without a library.in addtion to being able to purchase a library alone or a library and feature set togehter which is equivalen to what was previoiusly known as a base package.

https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=feature+set 

Posts 493
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 6:10 PM

So again, for me to upgrade for the least expensive way, is to fork out nearly 300.00 Canadian. That's all, hey? In principal, has that increased a bit since some of us upgraded the least expensive way from Logos 5 to Logos 6? Did someone say this is a money maker for Faithlife? :-} 

ASUS Rogue / 500 GB Samsung SSD / 500 GB HD / 16 Gigs of RAM/ Logos 8 Full Feature Set / Faithlife Connect Essentials 

Posts 9096
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 6:22 PM

Bootjack, my memory is that the full crossgrade going from L5 to L6 was in this same price range, depending, of course, on what you already owned.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2413
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 6:38 PM

Mark Smith:

Bootjack, my memory is that the full crossgrade going from L5 to L6 was in this same price range, depending, of course, on what you already owned.

Question: Is the full feature set the equivalent to the prior cross grades? 

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS