Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 11
Gary Seddon | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 27 2016 11:00 PM

Hello!

I am currently trying to decide on what Logos version to get as I just started Bible School at Masters level. 

I do not currently have any library on Logos. It seems that Faithlife have a vision to move people gradually towards the subscription model, with Now geared towards people who already have large libraries. 

I am wondering if it would be good for me, at this stage, to get Logos Cloud Plus, instead of purchasing, for example, Logos 7 Gold? 

I read on the website that Logos Cloud Plus has the features of Silver and library size of Gold (though of course not exactly the same due to publishers and stronger focus on Lexham books). As Silver has the same features as Gold, I'm guessing Cloud Plus has the same features too?

Anyway, I'm mostly looking for different opinions before I decide. Any thoughts would help! :)

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 28 2016 12:20 AM

Cloud Plus and Gold may be of a similar size (I'm not 100% sure), but Gold has much better books. Unfortunately, a lot of good publishers seem not to like the rental model (or have existing author contracts that make that very difficult for them). As a consequence there are bigger gaps in Cloud than in standard Logos packages. Apart from EEC, there are no modern decent commentary sets in Cloud Plus, for example, whilst Gold has Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture, Pillar New Testament Commentary, The Bible Speaks Today: New Testament, The New Daily Study Bible: New Testament, The New International Greek Testament Commentary, and  Tyndale Commentaries (plus the Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary).

So, if you can afford it, for academic use, I would suggest Logos 7 Gold over Cloud.

Posts 11
Gary Seddon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 28 2016 4:36 AM

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for your reply! Sorry for not replying to your post on the Logos 7 forum.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated and are very helpful and insightful.

I thought that would be the case. Hopefully one day, Logos Cloud will have the same libraries as the base packages. I was just wondering if it would be worth starting that route now, with the hope of those awesome collections being added in the future, without having to purchase a base package. This is mostly because I really like the idea of Logos Cloud and would probably want to subscribe one day anyway, and I wouldn't have needed to own any books from the beginning.

Anyway, we don't live in that world yet! Maybe my son when he grows up! haha.

Again, thanks for your opinion. I am leaning towards Logos 7 Gold. Perhaps with Logos Now instead of purchasing features.

Gary

Posts 3048
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2016 7:55 AM

Gary Seddon:
I was just wondering if it would be worth starting that route now, with the hope of those awesome collections being added in the future, without having to purchase a base package.

Since you're starting school now, and the changes you're looking forward to could be two, five, ten, or never years down the line... I'd buy the Library and sign up for Now.

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2016 8:00 AM

SineNomine:
Since you're starting school now, and the changes you're looking forward to could be two, five, ten, or never years down the line... I'd buy the Library and sign up for Now.

Might be better to sign up for Now and then buy the library - that way you'll get the Now discounts on the library. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 11
Gary Seddon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2016 11:15 PM

Thanks for your thoughts! :) Very wise.

Yeah, seems likely I will go for the Gold library with Now. Seems pretty solid.

Not sure whether one needs to purchase Now, then purchase library afterwards to get the discount. But better to be safe than sorry I guess!

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2016 11:29 PM

Gary Seddon:
Not sure whether one needs to purchase Now, then purchase library afterwards to get the discount.

Another forum user has reported that as long as Logos Now is in your cart, you'll get the extra discounts.

You can test this by adding Gold to your cart, and seeing if the price goes down after adding Logos Now.

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 1:27 AM

Gary, for what it's worth I think you should get Logos Gold if that's the package you are leaning towards. I also agree that getting Logos Now membership is worth it. 

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 11
Gary Seddon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 2:03 AM

Mark Barnes:

Gary Seddon:
Not sure whether one needs to purchase Now, then purchase library afterwards to get the discount.

Another forum user has reported that as long as Logos Now is in your cart, you'll get the extra discounts.

You can test this by adding Gold to your cart, and seeing if the price goes down after adding Logos Now.

I can also confirm that you get the discount with Logos Now in the cart :) Convenient.

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 2:41 AM

Don't forget to apply for your academic discount before you purchase!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS