Simple Uncomplicated Feature to Store Resources in Ext SD Card

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 20
Low Seng Thye | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2016 7:33 PM

STORING RESOURCES IN EXT SD CARD WITHOUT HASSLE

It is disappointing that this feature is not available in Bible-Logos without any complicated tweaking, especially when we consider the amount of resources an average Logos user has. Unlike Bible-Logos, PocketBible for Android has this feature and it is very easy to use. All I have to do is select in the Setting – Program Setting – Book Installation Location – Select Removal Storage and the storing of the resources in the Ext SD Card is done automatically. It is hassle free and works very well all my previous and present phones. The phones that I have installed PocketBible in (my wife’s phone included), and this feature worked like a charm are Samsung Galaxy Grand Quattro (Android OS, v4.1.2 Jelly Bean), Lenovo A880 (Android OS, v4.2.2 Jelly Bean), Samsung Galaxy A8 and Acer Iconia One 10 B3-A20 Tablet (Android 5.1 Lollipop). In fact, this feature works very well on my friend’s very low cost phone Huawei Y300-0100 (Android OS, v4.1 Jelly Bean)!!! No complicating tweaking necessary, just select the option in the setting. I think Logos need to incorporate this feature in their mobile apps so that everyone can enjoy this feature hassle free, including those who are not tech savvy.

Pastor in Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia. 

Posts 201
Garrett Ho | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 31 2016 8:00 PM

I support this request, although I do want to note that what is uncomplicated for the end user might be very complicated for the developers/programmers.

Posts 3024
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 31 2016 8:29 PM

Low Seng Thye:
Unlike Logos, PocketBible for Android

Low Seng Thye:
I think Logos need to incorporate this feature in their mobile apps so that everyone can enjoy this feature hassle free, including those who are not tech savvy.

Actually, Verbum for Android already has this feature (although it's unsupported), and you don't have to do anything whatsoever to enable it. Instead, you have to be tech savvy to notice that it's there!

Posts 2290
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 31 2016 8:56 PM

SineNomine:
Actually, Verbum for Android already has this feature (although it's unsupported), and you don't have to do anything whatsoever to enable it. Instead, you have to be tech savvy to notice that it's there!

And you need to be on Android 6.0 or greater.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 20
Low Seng Thye | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 31 2016 9:22 PM

SineNomine, thanks for the info that this feature is unsupported in Verbum. No offence intended, but as a Charismatic Protestant believer, I do not use Verbum. But for my dear Catholic brethren, who use Verbum, can you please write in this Forum how to activate this feature for Verbum. Thank you and GOD bless you.

Garrett Ho, thanks for your support. Thank you and GOD bless you.

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 31 2016 11:07 PM

There is no difference between Verbum and the other Faithlife reader apps regarding the topic of SD card storage. If on a particular device/android combination the Verbum app can be configured through the operating system to store resources on an SD card, it will also work with Bible!, Vyrso, Noet, etc.

Posts 3024
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 7:12 AM

Jan Krohn:

SineNomine:

And you need to be on Android 6.0 or greater.

No, you don't.

Posts 3024
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 7:16 AM

Low Seng Thye:
But for my dear Catholic brethren, who use Verbum, can you please write in this Forum how to activate this feature for Verbum.

I did absolutely nothing, other than have an SD card mounted on my phone. It worked automatically, by default--whenever I download a resource for offline use on my phone, it automatically downloads to my SD card.

Posts 2290
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 9:12 AM

SineNomine:
I did absolutely nothing, other than have an SD card mounted on my phone. It worked automatically, by default--whenever I download a resource for offline use on my phone, it automatically downloads to my SD card.

Here are some screenshots from my Android 5 device. In app overview it looks as follows.

Android is very unspecific here, and the average user might think, all data has been copied to the SD card. In a way that's true, but the data is not on extSD.

Let's look at what's actually happening in a file manager.

The Logos data has been saved in the emulated storage, which is an internal SD card, and part of the internal memory.

Here comes a screenshot of the Logos folder on the exteral SD as a final proof.

As you can see, the Logos resources folder on extSD is just blank empty.

I'm not saying that this is the case for all devices, however, that's standard Android behaviour. Therefore, I'd suggest you treat your previous statements with some healthy skepticism, and have a closer look what's actually happening on your device.

Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 3024
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 9:29 AM

Jan Krohn:
I'm not saying that this is the case for all devices, however, that's standard Android behaviour. Therefore, I'd suggest you treat your previous statements with some healthy skepticism, and have a closer look what's actually happening on your device.

The amount of data that Verbum attributes to being on my SD card is larger than the entire internal storage capacity of my phone, ergo it cannot possibly be stored entirely in my phone's internal storage (which, of course, has many other things on it and is not full).

Besides that, by allowing myself to see "hidden" files and folders when browsing my (external) SD card using File Manager, I am able to quickly find that Verbum is in fact storing a significant amount of data on my external SD card.

Posts 2290
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 9:33 AM

Then you're merely lucky having a device that lets you use your extSD in that way, but it's not standard behaviour for all users. It's the exception -- not the rule.

Posts 20
Low Seng Thye | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 2:39 PM

SineNomine:

SineNomine: can you please let me know the phone brand and model that you are using that automatically stores your Verbum-Logos resources in the Ext SD Card memory. The next time I change my phone I will consider buying the same brand.

Posts 20
Low Seng Thye | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 3:22 AM

SineNomine:

Other reasons why I need your phone brand and model are:

1. Those who are thinking about buying a new replacement phones, should consider buying same brand and same or upgraded model of your phone.
  2. There might be people who own same model as you and therefore it will suitable for them to buy a SD Card so that they can expand their storage memory for Bible-Logos or Verbum-Logos resources. Some might have to consider buying a bigger SD Card capacity knowing that they can expand their storage space for logos resources.
  3. I will be passing your useful information to any Christians and Pastors who are thinking about what model phone to buy or to those who have same model phone as you.
  4. For Faithlife, this should be useful information for customer services and Logos Training Seminars.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS