Logos Now from Logos 6 and quite confused.

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 40 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 2 2016 6:54 AM

I Waited. I read most of the threads. I read most of the marketing materials. Still little has made sense following my purchase of Logos Now yesterday. (Sorry this got so long)

I have owned Logos for a very long time. Have many resources. Was not sure I would like the LN thing but saw the banners saying that if I am a subscriber I will get 10% of libraries and 25% off feature sets.

So I thought that if the pair I was looking at (standard silver and full feature set) would get that additional discount I would buy LN. Then I would buy the pair to get the additional resources and so I would OWN the future set. Figured LN would provide some additional resources and the online version of the software.

After purchasing LN (only) I opened up Logos 6 on my computer to see what would happen. It upgraded me to Logos 7. Did not expect that. I thought I would have to go to the online version for Logos 7 new features and until I bought my Silver and feature set I would still have Logos 6 on my computer. Then I saw 102 resources got downloaded. Looked at the list. (Already shared in a different thread my dismay when 40 or so were for other religions. Kind of thought I bought LN from the wrong place. Those were easily hidden.) Among the other resources I saw what looked to be new versions of Bibles and such that I already had. Since I closed that little pop-up I cannot tell you exactly what I got.

My plan was to go now and pick the library I want and buy the full feature set. I have no idea if I will stay with the subscription. I like owning these items. But now when I look at the drop downs for pricing a library I do not have an option to buy a feature set since I have it with LN. Well that is nice but what if I cancel LN. I am no longer subscribed so I no longer get the 25% off for the feature set but can’t buy it for any price anyway.

Bottom line is that I paid $90. I do not know what new to me resources have been added but I do not want the Hindu, Buddhist or Islam stuff. Not sure how to figure out what I got. Apparently I can’t own the features set now. At least when I open Logos it does show Logos 7.

Can I view a list of what resources are new to me?

Which will last beyond the month?

Is it possible to get the feature set for 25% off so I own it or is that just a completely silly idea? What does this mean then?

Posts 128
Russel Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 7:25 AM

You can buy the feature set by searching for it in the store.  Here's a link: https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=feature+set 

The Eastern Texts that downloaded yesterday were part of this month's free previews.  The licenses will expire after a month.  https://www.logos.com/now-preview-resources 

Posts 979
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 7:37 AM

Not sure if this helps, but I asked the question in this thread about whether there is an advantage to purchasing the Full Feature Set (FFS) if you were a "now" member.  Mark Barnes gave a concise answer ... no.

Basically, if you are a "Now" member you have all the "7" features and continue to receive "8" Features every 6 weeks or so.  Being a "Now" member also gives you free monthly previews which Russell mentions and that you have seen.

You can but a "7" library if you want.  That would be bundled resources (at a discount) - separate from the FFS.

There is a post in the Logos 7 forum that has the complete list of "Now" features, datasets, media, etc.  If you are first time member those would all be new to you. I believe.

Posts 130
Robert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 8:59 AM

SHotchkiss:

I want and buy the full feature set. I have no idea if I will stay with the subscription. I like owning these items. But now when I look at the drop downs for pricing a library I do not have an option to buy a feature set since I have it with LN.

Your questions make complete sense. You were thinking clearly about the L7 options offered - and have pinpointed the place where the site still needs revision: no option to add FFS for cost (or disclaimer that FFS not included) on the Base Package/ Library product pages for Logos Now members.

With love and respect, IMO FL "threw themselves a curve" by retaining Base Package terminology (always meant 'Books + Features') for LN members, many new - causing confusion even for FL, https://community.logos.com/forums/p/129645/843265.aspx#843265). Perhaps BP language was inherently trickier for L7, w/ new emphasis on (and expansion of) 'Membership'. Just a thought.

BTW, my experience has been similar to yours - bought LN and a Library, and intend to buy FFS later. Cool

Grace and peace. <><

Posts 128
Russel Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 11:43 AM

Robert:

BTW, my experience has been similar to yours - bought LN and a Library, and intend to buy FFS later. Cool

I intend to do the same thing.  I purchased Now and a Library.  I then purchased the Starter Feature Set upgrade, as it was only about $20.  That brought the FFS upgrade down to about $100, which I'll have to save up for :)

Posts 130
Robert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 1:34 PM

Russel Taylor:

I intend to do the same thing.  I purchased Now and a Library.  I then purchased the Starter Feature Set upgrade, as it was only about $20.  That brought the FFS upgrade down to about $100, which I'll have to save up for :)

Russel, hmm...good optional Feature Set strategy for the 'buy FFS at some point' crowd. Yes Hadn't considered that - thanks!

Grace and peace. <>< 

Posts 979
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 1:46 PM

Russel Taylor:

I purchased Now and a Library.  I then purchased the Starter Feature Set upgrade, as it was only about $20. 

I'm not understanding something ...  If you subscribed to a Now membership you have all the Features you can have for the next year.  Why would you buy the Starter Feature Set?

Posts 28283
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 1:52 PM

Steve:
Why would you buy the Starter Feature Set?

To own it. 

"Logos Now" ≠ "Full Feature Set." Logos Now is a membership program. ONE feature of that program is access to all feature sets past, present and (as they are developed) future. There are a number of other benefits as well. 

An analogy: Why would you purchase Movie X on blue-ray when it is on Amazon Prime free to stream? To own it. 

(Personally, I am fine with renting features, so I am not inclined to purchase the feature sets.)

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 22721
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 1:53 PM

Steve:

...  If you subscribed to a Now membership you have all the Features you can have for the next year.  Why would you buy the Starter Feature Set?

Some people want to but the Feature Set as well so they continue to have them if they stop subscribing. 

I dont know if that is the reason here 

Posts 3622
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 2:04 PM

Steve:

I'm not understanding something ...  If you subscribed to a Now membership you have all the Features you can have for the next year.  Why would you buy the Starter Feature Set?

Some people (including me) like to own the features. Even though I have a Now membership, I think of its value as online features + upcoming features.

Russel Taylor:

[I intend to do the same thing.  I purchased Now and a Library.  I then purchased the Starter Feature Set upgrade, as it was only about $20.  That brought the FFS upgrade down to about $100, which I'll have to save up for :)

My FFS is still $150 after also buying the Starter, like you.

Why is there such a price difference, since we both own Starter? My discount comes out to $363 for products I own, plus $85 Special Logos 7 Savings for LN members.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 979
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 2:17 PM

alabama24:

Steve:
Why would you buy the Starter Feature Set?

... "Logos Now" ≠ "Full Feature Set."  ...

I think I just got instantly confused ... Tongue Tied 

Is there a Feature in any of the Feature Sets that is not in Now? 

Posts 22721
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 2:34 PM

Steve:

No

But there are some features, such as Bible Browser, that are in Logos Now but not in either of the feature sets

Posts 979
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 2:49 PM

Graham Criddle:

Steve:

No

But there are some features, such as Bible Browser, that are in Logos Now but not in either of the feature sets

OK.  That is what I thought.  I see now that I've done a poor job of phrasing my question properly.  Sorry.  Sad

As far as the functionality of the software goes, there does not appear to be any advantage (except when the Now membership expires and ownership is in play). 

I was trying to tease out, by asking Russel, if there was any other (monetary?) advantage to subscribing to Now and purchasing a Feature set at the same time.

(I'm with Alabama in terms of renting the Features versus owning.)

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 2:54 PM

Why 25% off features for LN members?

Why incentivize it if useless?

Posts 979
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 3:08 PM

SHotchkiss:

I don't know that I would characterize as useless.  I could see a scenario, as Mark has pointed out, where you are toward the end of your Now subscription and you've decided not to renew.  If you would want to keep the Features without Now renewal you could get a good discount, own the Features, and not have any future subscription costs.

I'm guessing without any facts, but I think Faithlife is providing flexibility for a variety of users with differing situations of Now membership or no membership.

Posts 128
Russel Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 3:09 PM

PetahChristian:

Why is there such a price difference, since we both own Starter? My discount comes out to $363 for products I own, plus $85 Special Logos 7 Savings for LN members.

I must have owned more than you, going in... My discount for products I own is $432.

Posts 128
Russel Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 3:12 PM

Steve:

SHotchkiss:

I don't know that I would characterize as useless.  I could see a scenario, as Mark has pointed out, where you are toward the end of your Now subscription and you've decided not to renew.  If you would want to keep the Features without Now renewal you could get a good discount, own the Features, and not have any future subscription costs.

This is exactly the scenario I am going to attempt to insure against. I know myself well enough to bet that I won't be able to renew when the time comes. But I wanted to try Now too!

Posts 979
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 3:16 PM

Russel Taylor:

I know myself well enough to bet that I won't be able to renew when the time comes. But I wanted to try Now too!

So why not wait until month 11 of your Now subscription to own?  In other words, why do it at the same time ... Now and own?

Posts 5315
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 3:16 PM

PetahChristian:

Why is there such a price difference

It might be that Russel may have owned a higher level base package than you have in the past and so may have already owned more of the features in the starter feature set.

For me the costs are as follows:

Logos 7 Starter Feature Set (L7 SFS) $14.06 USD

Logos 7 Full Feature Set (L7 FFS)  $112.86 USD

Verbum 7 Starter Feature Set (V7 SFS)  $19.39 USD

Verbum 7 Full Feature Set (V7 FFS) $110.71 USD

Part of the discrepancy on the Logos 7 v Verbum SFS for me is that the Verbum Starter set has Reverse Interlinears that are for Catholic bibles that are not in the Logos 7 SFF but are included in the Logos 7 FFS.  Note there are lots of other differences to the price differential between the two and this is just one example, though the both offer me 36 new features/resources For the FFS , L7 FFS offers me 96 new  features/resourceswhile the V7 FFS offers me only 86 new one.

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 3:24 PM

If I buy now I save $45.00 due to spending 90.00

In 11 months I pay more.

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS