Finding Commentaries on Logos.com

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 3 2016 8:26 AM

I have been trying to search for commentaries on certain books of the Bible on the Logos.com site.  Not very easy to do as the searches also pull up sets and a lot of unrelated books.  Many pages of them.  As a result, I use bestcommentaries.com to find the books and then look them up on Logos.  I wish there was an easier way!

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 236
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 9:15 AM

Thanks Tony, this is a useful tool.

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 9:28 AM

Tricky, but edit the book name on the end:

https://www.logos.com/products/search?Resource+Type=Commentaries&Bible+and+Apocrypha_New+Testament=Amos 

The logic is 'included' ... in this case, Amos included. The NT oddity works but needs cleaning up.

But a lower drill down in the carot-structure would be nice, vs having to go out of Logos.com.

Posts 3054
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 9:33 AM

Denise:

Thank you.

Denise:
But a lower drill down in the carot-structure would be nice.

Yes!

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 9:58 AM

Even better would be a "find a commentary" tool that would enable you to drill down based upon faith tradition, rating, price, etc.  That would be something really useful for pastors/teachers, scholars, students, etc.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 5021
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 2:20 PM

SineNomine:

And if you want to restrict this further to see only commentaries you do not own a license for add the "&unlocked=no" to the end of the query

https://www.logos.com/products/search?Resource+Type=Commentaries&Bible+and+Apocrypha_New+Testament=Amos&unlocked=no 

Posts 1647
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 2:56 PM

Tony Thomas:
I have been trying to search for commentaries on certain books of the Bible on the Logos.com site.  Not very easy to do as the searches also pull up sets and a lot of unrelated books.

Did you know that you can narrow your search results down to specific types, including only commentaries or does this technique not narrow it down enough?

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 4:29 PM

Rick:

Tony Thomas:
I have been trying to search for commentaries on certain books of the Bible on the Logos.com site.  Not very easy to do as the searches also pull up sets and a lot of unrelated books.

Did you know that you can narrow your search results down to specific types, including only commentaries or does this technique not narrow it down enough?

The selection boxes help some but don't provide enough granularity.   You still have to browse through many pages.   If you know the author name(s) ,  then you can find it quickly.   More options like book names,  commentary type, etc. would make it much better. 

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 31 2016 6:50 PM

Tony Thomas:

Concur: searching for Live Bible Commentaries on John in the New Testament includes Bible Books plus Authors named John

https://www.logos.com/products/search?Resource+Type=Commentaries&Status=Live&Bible+and+Apocrypha=New+Testament&unlocked=no&q=John

Old Testament Bible Commentary search for Psalms has some false positives from Author Bio's

https://www.logos.com/products/search?Resource+Type=Commentaries&Status=Live&Bible+and+Apocrypha=Old+Testament&unlocked=no&q=Psalms

Tony Thomas:

Even better would be a "find a commentary" tool that would enable you to drill down based upon faith tradition, rating, price, etc.  That would be something really useful for pastors/teachers, scholars, students, etc.

+1 Yes

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 1 2016 6:43 AM

What is so strange  is that a company that specializes in search has such a poor search engine on their website, making it hard for people to find and buy the books that they are looking for.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS