Ugaritic Data base and Ancient Text

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 12
Frank | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 3 2016 1:12 PM

Hi,

I am "thinking about" purchasing the Logos 6 Ancient Text XL version...my question is how well do these texts show up in the passage guides for Biblical passages...How well does the Ugaritic Data bank work? The reason I own Logos is because I read Dr. Heiser "Unseen Realm" and have listened to alot of his ytube teachings .. ......I really like some of Logos features and am a Logos now member...I am not interested in just reading ancient texts by themselves ...Dr.Heiser talks alot about references to Ugaritic literature so I am wondering how much this would help me...I am serious student....thanks for any suggestions..

Frank

Posts 10623
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 4:05 PM

Frank ... here's my thoughts:

Ugaritic Databank: it's in ugarit; no english. But it's highly indexed. Use for in-depth research.

Ras Shamra Parallels: Used by passage guide. Also, if you use a CitedBy panel, you can hook it to your Bible/commentary for parallels. Use care ... the parallels can be pretty loose.

Religious Texts from Ugarit: Excellent discussion; in-depth notes. No OT connects to Passage Guide or Bible

Ugarit and the Old Testament: Nice discussion but fewer connects to the OT. Recommended.

Context of the Scripture and Ancient Near Eastern Texts: Both you should have BEFORE any Ugarit books ... ref'd in the Passage Guide a lot. If you like the OT, you must have these.

Therefore, choose the level of package per your needs.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 12
Frank | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 4 2016 9:34 AM

Denise,

Thanks so much for your reply...it is exactly what I was looking for..I have COS and ZIBBCOT in another Bible software program...I got ANET with my Platinum package in Logos...

I am looking for resources that Logos has that can give me further historical and cultural context relating to Biblical event.....So I am looking for items that Dr. Heiser references in his lectures that might be available in Logos..

Thanks again!

Frank

Posts 12
Frank | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 12:39 PM

Denise,

FYI, I did end up buying the Ancient Texts XL collection....It has helped me...most obvious is the Ugaritic references in DDD are "linked" and show the texts....but I am still "plugging" through the items....always learning...

My goal is to understand the Bible and its context in ANE better....I am not a big fan of commentaries (although I do use some)  but I  prefer to study the primary texts (translations) if possible...Dr. Heiser has had a big impact on my understanding of the Bible and ANE...

So many resources to study...

So thanks again for your help!

Frank

Posts 10623
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 6:16 PM

Congratulation, Frank.  You've launched yourself into a very intriguing area of study.  You'll feel like detective on an unsolvable case!

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS