Logos Needs to Allow "A La Carte" Purchases

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 8 2016 6:24 AM

Logos lists prices for features in packages, but you cannot buy them "a la carte".

I don't want to spend $300 for a package, but would be willing to buy certain features.

For example:

New Testament Use of the Old Testament Dataset $7.99
Systematic Theology Cross References Dataset

$14.99

Logos should allow you to buy what you want at prices listed.  That would mean more $$$ in Logos' pocket and give users more flexibility.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 476
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2016 8:05 AM

I agree. I want the Commandments of the Law for $5.99, but as it is, I don't see enough value in spending hundreds on a Logos 7 package.

Unfortunately, the Logos marketing strategy has always been to bundle items in order to force people to buy things they don't want in order to get the item(s) that they really want.

Posts 10124
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2016 9:11 AM

I think they should be free.  Why?  I pay top-dollar for Logos books and rarely use the tagging. Ergo.

But seriously ... the arbitrarily low prices for features presume that thousands purchase them. Not likely if sold individually.  Who'd buy Atlas?

OTOH, chopping off the RI's might have made sense.  Though I could do without all the fluffy ones that clog up the Tools menu.

Posts 156
Jesús Polaino | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2016 9:19 AM

Tony Thomas:

Logos lists prices for features in packages, but you cannot buy them "a la carte".

I don't want to spend $300 for a package, but would be willing to buy certain features.

For example:

New Testament Use of the Old Testament Dataset $7.99
Systematic Theology Cross References Dataset

$14.99

Logos should allow you to buy what you want at prices listed.  That would mean more $$$ in Logos' pocket and give users more flexibility.

YesYes

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2016 12:59 PM

elnwood:

I agree. I want the Commandments of the Law for $5.99, but as it is, I don't see enough value in spending hundreds on a Logos 7 package.

Unfortunately, the Logos marketing strategy has always been to bundle items in order to force people to buy things they don't want in order to get the item(s) that they really want.

On one hand they come up with dozens of package permutations to allow users to have some flexibility in purchasing but them don't allow them to purchase the features they want.  I don't get it!

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 26296
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2016 2:42 PM

Tony Thomas:

Not necessarily given:

• that processing an order and retaining the licenses for that order entails a cost
  • that some who purchase full packages might switch to a la carte at a lower cost
  • that it is likely to increase customer services costs given the evidence in the forums of people in L6 thinking they had features and resources they did not

I think it is a better assumption to think that the business side of Logos is competent at their job. If they believed that they would get more income from a la carte selling, I am sure that is what they would be doing.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2016 3:08 PM

Not necessarily given:

• that processing an order and retaining the licenses for that order entails a cost

So does placing an order and retaining licenses for an ebook.  And some ebooks cost $.99 or are even free.  As most of that is now done online, costs are minimal and built into the price.

• that some who purchase full packages might switch to a la carte at a lower cost.

I would think that customers who want "all you can eat" are different than those who want "al la carte".  Those who buy "a la carte" are willing to pay much more per feature than those who are buying "all you can eat".  These are different markets.

• that it is likely to increase customer services costs given the evidence in the forums of people in L6 thinking they had features and resources they did not.

I don't get this one.  If I buy a single volume commentary, am I going to think I also get BDAG?

I think it is a better assumption to think that the business side of Logos is competent at their job. If they believed that they would get more income from a la carte selling, I am sure that is what they would be doing.

They are competent.  They are clearly trying to maximize their income and profit right now.  That is why they did away with monthly subcriptions to Logos Now.  When you buy a new car these days, you have to buy all the options to just get one.  Why?  Because that puts more money in the dealer's pocket.  Similarly, Logos wants/needs a large infusion of cash.  After they crunch the numbers, they may see that they are leaving money on the table and address those who do not want/need "all you can eat".

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS