Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 9
Liam & Abi Maguire | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 9 2016 8:44 AM

So I'm really struggling to work out how to create visual filters. 

I understand how they work, and what they are for, and by following some guides I have been able to make a filter for figurative language and Greek morphology. However, I am struggling to apply what I have learnt to something else. 

For example, how would I create a visual for culture concepts? What about  names or places? Allusions to the OT or references each member of the Trinity? 

There is no need to answer all of the those examples, though a couple of examples would be nice. I use them to highlight the fact that I feel like I have the power of a supercomputer at my finger tips, but I can't use it because I don't know the syntax - or whatever it is. 

Waaa someone help me. *Deep breath* Rant over.

Thank you in advance

Posts 26527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 9 2016 1:52 PM

Join https://faithlife.com/logos-visual-filters/activity to have access to many examples. You will discover that it takes familiarity with your resources to know how to build searches and familiarity with searches to know how to build visual filters.

For example for place names, I know that the Louw-Nida coding makes the proper distinction. So I open LN and find the values I am interested in, look in Help or the wiki to find how to search on LN numbers and ... I got it.

https://wiki.logos.com/Visual_Filter walks you through similar examples

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 9 2016 1:58 PM

Have you read through the wiki?

https://wiki.logos.com/Visual_Filter

Maybe this post on a visual filter for Herod will help with names?

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/29653.aspx

Regarding cultural concepts, allusions to the OT or references to persons of the Trinity, maybe others can help.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 11 2016 3:55 PM

The search terms are not easy to find, but use:

1. {Section <LiteraryType = allusion, old testament>}   --->  other literary types, e.g. Quotation, can be found in "The Lexham Glossary of Literary Types"

NB the "Logos Help" resource suggests the datatype is 'LiteraryTyping', and it seems to give the same results as 'LiteraryType'.

2. {Section <Culture Light>} —> finds examples of the Cultural Concept for ‘Light’. See "The Lexham Cultural Ontology Glossary" for other concepts.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 11:38 PM

Liam Maguire:
... references each member of the Trinity? 

Logos 6.14 and newer can use OR in search:

((Abba,Father) OR (Jesus,Christ,Messiah,"Son of God","Son of Man") OR ("Holy Ghost","Holy Spirit",Spirit)) WITHIN (<Person God> OR <Person Jesus> OR <Person Holy Spirit>)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 987
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 2:45 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Logos 6.14 and newer can use OR in search:

((Abba,Father) OR (Jesus,Christ,Messiah,"Son of God","Son of Man") OR ("Holy Ghost","Holy Spirit",Spirit)) WITHIN (<Person God> OR <Person Jesus> OR <Person Holy Spirit>)

Wonder if the OP was enquiring about where ALL members of the Trinity are referenced...

Maybe use AND instead of OR?

((Abba,Father,God) AND (Jesus,Christ,Messiah,"Son of God","Son of Man") AND ("Holy Ghost","Holy Spirit",Spirit)) WITHIN (<Person God> AND <Person Jesus> AND <Person Holy Spirit>) 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 12:31 PM

Richard Wardman:

Maybe use AND instead of OR?

((Abba,Father,God) AND (Jesus,Christ,Messiah,"Son of God","Son of Man") AND ("Holy Ghost","Holy Spirit",Spirit)) WITHIN (<Person God> AND <Person Jesus> AND <Person Holy Spirit>) 

+1 Yes Big Smile

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9
Liam & Abi Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2016 1:54 PM

This is amazing! Thanks so much to everyone who kindly took the time to respond. I'm going to take some time to work through the examples posted above and see where they take me. Simply seeing the examples written out is already giving me a better understanding of syntax and search types available to me. 

Blessings, Liam

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2016 2:05 PM

Liam Maguire:

This is amazing! Thanks so much to everyone who kindly took the time to respond. I'm going to take some time to work through the examples posted above and see where they take me. Simply seeing the examples written out is already giving me a better understanding of syntax and search types available to me. 

Blessings, Liam

Remember that Visual Filters are just searches. There are loads of search examples inside Logos, especially on the search panel (before you type anything in).

There are also loads of links in the Factbook, Guides, etc. that allow you to search for more information.

You can then very easily turn your searches into a visual filter:

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2016 2:14 PM

Liam Maguire:
For example, how would I create a visual for culture concepts? What about  names or places? Allusions to the OT or references each member of the Trinity? 

Cultural Concepts: {Section <Culture = Death>}

Names: <Person Moses>

Places: <Place Kiriath-jearim>

Allusions to the OT: {Label Intertext WHERE Source ~ <Gen-Mal> AND Relationship ~ "Allusion"}

References to each member of the Trinity:

• <Person God>
  • <Person Jesus>
  • <Person Holy Spirit>

(It's hard to separate God in a generic sense from the first person of the Trinity, and Logos doesn't attempt to do that in it's People tagging. You can use {Section <Culture God as father>} if you prefer.)

Posts 1507
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2016 2:35 PM

Mark Barnes:

Allusions to the OT: {Label Intertext WHERE Source ~ <Gen-Mal> AND Relationship ~ "Allusion"}

If you want to include quotes, echoes, and so on from the Old Testament as well as allusions:

{Label Intertext WHERE Source ~ <Gen-Mal>}

And, for those who also want to include allusions to the Deuterocanonicals, the syntax is:

{Label Intertext WHERE Source ~ <Gen-2Mac>}

You can create all these wacky search queries by yourself just by pointing and clicking - right click on a word, select the label you're interested in in the context menu, and then choose "search this resource" or one of the other search options. It will write out the query for you.

Posts 9
Liam & Abi Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 11:41 AM

These are great. Thanks so much everyone. 

Quick question. Went I enter {Label Figurative language} into the bible search it pulls up all the tagged instances of figurative language. 

Is there away to do a similar search for all tagged instances of cultural concepts? 

Thanks, Liam

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS