Looking up phrases in Logos 4

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2
Clint Pearce | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 7 2010 10:41 PM

Does anyone know how to search a phrase? I want to do some research around the phrase "sons of God" in Gen 6 etc but I'm not sure how to go about it?

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 7 2010 10:49 PM

there are many ways to look at this phrase. The easiest might be to read where it happens in all of scripture and see the context. this would be a search of passages in bible...

also I did a "sons of god" in my entire library and got almost 2500 articles....

I am sure that would be a start....then try further searches with NEAR AND OR ANDNOT etc.  in your searches...with "sons of god"

A couple topic "sons of god" came up as well

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 7 2010 11:30 PM

Try enclosing your search terms in quotes.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2010 3:29 AM

Clint,

another thing to think about when searching is "who do i want an answer from?"

Are you wondering what "anyone" has said about that phrase? Are you specifically looking to see the Early Church Fathers use of it?

Those kinds of questions will change your search....

You might think about that and make a collection to match what you're aim is...that will help narrow the results to more meaningful ones.

If you're looking for the phrase from the bible...then that's also a different search... :)

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 12
Ralph E. Bass, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 3:43 AM

Why is it no one actually showed him how to "search a phrase"?  You just talked around the subject.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 3:47 AM

Ralph E. Bass, Jr.:
Why is it no one actually showed him how to "search a phrase"?  You just talked around the subject.

I don't know...we're a weird group!

The simple answer (but not the best is) just type your phrase in a bible search in quotes: "sons of god."

Simple, but not the best.

Robert Pavich

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 3:57 AM

Ralph,

Here is the answer:

1.) As a bible search in quotes:

2.) As a basic search = all the places that that phrase is used.

As a basic search using a "NEAR" to isolate discussions about Gen 6:2 as the poster asked:

How about limiting it to bible dictionaries?

So you can see why there were some questions being asked.....the answer to that question depends on kind of information is desired!

Robert Pavich

Posts 10649
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 4:10 AM

Robert Pavich:
The simple answer (but not the best is) just type your phrase in a bible search in quotes: "sons of god."

You also need to click the magnifying glass in the upper left of the pane and deselect "match all word forms", or you will get all references to the singular "son" as well as "Sons". 

In a Bible search, I got 10 verses in the NKJV and 11 in the ESV. In a Basic Search of the Entire Library, I got a very unmanageable 7,258 results in 4,686 articles in 1,391 resources.

Posts 10649
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 4:13 AM

Robert Pavich:

1.) As a bible search in quotes:

Robert

This search also found all mentions of "Son of God" which naturally yielded multiple false hits. To find only references to "Sons of God" you must deselect "Match all word forms".

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 4:18 AM

Jack Caviness:
To find only references to "Sons of God" you must deselect "Match all word forms".

Jack..yes, true, yet another variation.... :)

Robert Pavich

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 5:36 AM

Ralph E. Bass, Jr.:

Thomas did actually tell him to put the phrase in quotes. That's the simplest method.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 7:48 AM

Robert Pavich:
So you can see why there were some questions being asked.....the answer to that question depends on kind of information is desired!

Great job Robert. You are very patient man. I appreciate it. Yes

Bohuslav

Posts 2
Clint Pearce | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 15 2010 12:18 AM

Thanks heaps for the help, I have a much better understanding of the search process now, and I've created a few collections to help also. Blessings to all!

Posts 27943
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 15 2010 12:53 AM

Ralph E. Bass, Jr.:

Thomas did ... you just need to read between the lines.Smile

Having not read far enough to see this had already been pointing out, we answered you question twice ... so even if you don't count Thomas' answer, we gave as many answers as questions. Big Smile

Of course, now the OP has gotten so many answers he's probably lost track of his question.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 37
Nelson R. Pardee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 25 2012 3:59 PM

This is the topic that won't die! I want to search the NT for   sons or children of god, eliminating "son of god." (Well actually I want ot do more, but that's a start). So I'm doing [son of god -"son of god" ]. The -"son of god" is clearly getting rid of a lot of verses (that I want to get rid of), but it's still giving me lots with that phrase.It turns out that having the OGNT as one of my top four Bibles was the culprit, and I don't understand why.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 25 2012 4:19 PM

Do you have "Match all forms" checked?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 25 2012 4:20 PM

Nelson R. Pardee:
I want to search the NT for   sons or children of god, eliminating "son of god."

Option: uncheck Match all word forms, then search surface text for:

(sons,children) BEFORE 1-2 WORDS "of God"

Searching surface text avoids Greek interlinear tagging with literal gloss and/or translation.

Nelson R. Pardee:
It turns out that having the OGNT as one of my top four Bibles was the culprit, and I don't understand why.

Apologies: wondering what is the OGNT ? (typing ognt in my Library finds nothing)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 37
Nelson R. Pardee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 25 2012 4:37 PM

Forgot to mention- match all forms is unchecked.

This suggestion is much simpler than my latest, although mine picks up one additional reference Rom 9:26 which has the more verbose phrase "children of the living God."

(sons,child*)  BEFORE 1 WORD of BEFORE 1-5 WORDS god 

Oh, and I didn't know about the surface search...

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 25 2012 5:29 PM

Nelson R. Pardee:
(sons,child*)  BEFORE 1 WORD of BEFORE 1-5 WORDS god 

Changing search a bit (from 1-5 to 1-6) finds another verse:

By the way, child* is equivalent to child,children.

(sons,child,children) BEFORE 1 WORD of BEFORE 1-6 WORDS God

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS