Kingdom of God search

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 132
jwsheets | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 12 2016 5:41 PM

Hi,

With all the new tagging and sense tagging, etc., in Logos 7 I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to do a  Bible search - Old and/or New (but specifically the New) Testaments on verses on the Kingdom of God. I know I can start off with "Kingdom of God" OR "Kingdom of Heaven" but I know I would still miss many verses. If I just do Kingdom I get a lot of extra verses. Any suggestions?

James

Posts 2351
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2016 6:17 PM

jwsheets:

Hi,

With all the new tagging and sense tagging, etc., in Logos 7 I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to do a  Bible search - Old and/or New (but specifically the New) Testaments on verses on the Kingdom of God. I know I can start off with "Kingdom of God" OR "Kingdom of Heaven" but I know I would still miss many verses. If I just do Kingdom I get a lot of extra verses. Any suggestions?

Hi James, 

A simple Bible Search on the term kingdom proves quite effective. Once you've done that you may save the results as a Passage List and cull out non relevant verses. To add to your study you may choose a relevant verse and do a Bible Word Study on the lemma and select the relevant term, this will generate a report that you can compare with your Passage List to pick up any verses that were missed. See screenshot below for illustration.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 2152
LogosEmployee

Try opening up the Factbook tool and going to the article on Kingdom of God. Open the Passages section. You can save all the passages there as a Passage List or open them all directly in your preferred Bible.

You could also try a Bible search on {Section <PreachingTheme Kingdom of God>}

Posts 773
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2016 3:15 PM

jwsheets:

Hi,

James

Hi James: good question! The challenge with starting any search is digging into what you're looking for specifically.

Some additional search suggestions beyond those above:

• In the Bible Sense Lexicon, we have a sense for "Kingdom of God" that matches lexicalized phrases. If you're using this in Bible Search, "<Sense kingdom of God>" matches this sense and the subordinate kingdom of God ⇔ era (which is generally what you want, since this expression represents "a kind of" its parent). There are 138 results, including things expressed in English as "kingdom of their Father" (Matt 13:43). This is probably the closest to what you're looking for if you're focused on the NT.
  • In Bible Word Study, if you search for "kingdom" you'll see a Phrases section that includes "kingdom of God" and "kingdom of heaven" (and others). Here the system is looking at specific words in a slightly more general way.
  • Andrew's suggestion to use Bible Search and "{Section <PreachingTheme Kingdom of God>}" brings back many more results because this is a broader notion that encompasses OT concepts of God's dominion ("the kingly rule of God in the lives of people and nations"). This is also what you get with the Bible Browser by selecting Topics: Kingdom of God.
  • In Factbook, the Passages section for for the concept "Kingdom of God" brings back a handful of key verses, along with quite a few other verses. These results are mined primarily from Bible dictionaries and similar reference content discussing this concept: so they're very likely to be related to the concept. We don't curate these results, so occasionally you'll find a false positive, but they also can offer a different dimension: for example, they include Rev 22:1-5, which doesn't use this phrase, but is generally about God's reign.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS