Britannica Tomorrow: Why Buy? And Why Not? The $200 Question.

Page 1 of 3 (54 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 53 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 10115
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 13 2016 8:51 AM

https://www.logos.com/product/55228/encyclopaedia-britannica-collection 

Quite often I pass, on prepubs and CPs, only to pay more later. I doubt most Logosians waver, like I do.  But, in the off-chance, maybe some waver-ers:

Why Buy?

- Some point to Wikipedia. If the issue is simply information access, then I suspect Wikipedia and similar is the better choice.  Most of my googling ends up there.  And Logos has pointers to Wikipedia as well.  Wikipedia is a good source.

- My guess for the primary value of Britannica is the Logos tagging, and media. Logos seems to be bent on progressively more of this type of tool. And recent dictionaries, journals, and encyclopedias are invaluable.  My journal purchases have really paid off nicely and Rick's passage guide section seems to improve a lot.

- Secondarily, I have a lot of coverage 'near' Biblical subjects; almost none outside of some ancient sources. Applying the Logos searching will be good.   

- Enjoying reading ... that's me. I like to open a dictionary or encyclopedia randomly, and explore. Especially waiting ... car repairs, doctor, etc.

- 30-day return. Honestly, I don't know how good this is. I'm admittedly hoping. Definitely worth a download to find out.

Why Not?

- Biggest reason might be, it'll be in future packages? Heavily discounted? Hard to say.

- Not specific to ones Logosian goals.  Britannica's value is in breadth, less depth. I keep tight rein on my library ... even freebies, I don't download if not useful.

- Cost money. True.

Posts 2284
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 9:23 AM

Denise:

- Some point to Wikipedia. If the issue is simply information access, then I suspect Wikipedia and similar is the better choice.  Most of my googling ends up there.  And Logos has pointers to Wikipedia as well.  Wikipedia is a good source.

Don't be so sure about that. I've made it a habit to research every fact that's given on Wikipedia without reliable sources, and must say that far too often it lacks objectivism.

Most disturbing example so far:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Servetus

Others argue that Calvin himself ordered Servetus to be burned with green wood so the suffering would be prolonged, and that Servetus was the one who requested a more merciful beheading.

Wikipedia quotes dedicated anti-Calvinistic sources here instead of reliable historic research (probably because the latter doesn't exist - please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm certainly not Calvinist, but such kind of writing is mere slander.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 285
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 9:25 AM

I dropped the $99 pre-pub long ago.

I stopped following the discussion.  Have my concerns ever been answered?

1.  Abridged.  How much?

2.  2015 edition.  Updates?  How often?  How much?

Posts 10115
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 9:42 AM

Jan .. you're correct ... I'd never use Wiki for opinion-oriented subjects.  But for basic background, it's good. 

Hapax, not abridged. However, the Logos version will be missing some high-end articles (that they normally don't share with 3rd parties). But Logos staff is choosing, so I'd assume, the missing articles are less germaine to Logos and Noet.

Earlier, the Logos lady said there'd be updates for a price. I think that was before the big staff cut, so, I wouldn't plan on it.  I'm just guessing it'd be similar to the journals ... catch as catch can.

Edition-wise, it's a point in time ... I'd bet late last year was their extraction, judging from their comments. But each article is individually susceptable to aging.  I'm thinking maybe 10 years, before it'll move to the back of my library (similar to the Archaeology Encyclopedia, which needs an update).

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 10:01 AM

Jan Krohn:
Wikipedia quotes dedicated anti-Calvinistic sources here instead of reliable historic research

Not any more it doesn't Smile.

Posts 10115
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 3:52 PM

Well, now.

Based on Ben's clarification just hours before shipping (and months after content delivery), I canceled.  Apparently, the Logos resource page was not quite correct. Low-end media, and selection of the high-end constrained. Lordy, Lordy ... as they say down south.

Posts 6320
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 3:57 PM

I can always have access to it online IF I ever need it. No need to pay for this at least in my case.

DAL

Posts 2284
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 6:51 PM

Mark Barnes:

Jan Krohn:
Wikipedia quotes dedicated anti-Calvinistic sources here instead of reliable historic research

Not any more it doesn't Smile.

Well done! Let's see how long it takes to come back. 

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 927
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 5:25 AM

Denise:

Well, now.

Based on Ben's clarification just hours before shipping (and months after content delivery), I canceled.  Apparently, the Logos resource page was not quite correct. Low-end media, and selection of the high-end constrained. Lordy, Lordy ... as they say down south.

I'm tempted to cancel, too, but the 30-day return policy is good. I've used it at least once, so if the resource doesn't meet expectation, it can be returned and money refunded. 

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 7:23 AM

I passed when this all first started.  I don't see the value, and at that price there would need to be a lot, of having this in Logos.  There are far too many reputable encyclopedias freely available elsewhere.  And, again the QA issues in general and with a work this large, I simply don't trust that it will be worth having.

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 7:40 AM

I am not purchasing it simply because the state I live in (Wisconsin) gives me free online access to a more complete Britannica through our library system.  There are other states that do this too, but not all of them.  (You can use google to see if your state or provincial Library system offers the same access.)  I know, it would be nice to have everything tagged in LOGOS, but I am willing to type in the info I need to save $200. Smile  

Posts 8896
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 8:00 AM

I realize that not everyone will be pleased with this product but I'm still optimistic that it is worth the pre-pub price and look forward to having it in Logos.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 8:17 AM

Michael Sullivan:

I am not purchasing it simply because the state I live in (Wisconsin) gives me free online access to a more complete Britannica through our library system.  There are other states that do this too, but not all of them.  (You can use google to see if your state or provincial Library system offers the same access.)  I know, it would be nice to have everything tagged in LOGOS, but I am willing to type in the info I need to save $200. Smile 

Thanks for mentioning this.  I checked my local library website, and it says that they provide access too.  I'll be checking it out.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 927
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 9:46 AM

Todd Phillips:

Michael Sullivan:

Thanks for mentioning this.  I checked my local library website, and it says that they provide access too.  I'll be checking it out.

Yes, indeed, Michael, thank you. I had no idea, but our local small town library does, too, including a nice article on C. S. Lewis. Hmmm.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 10115
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 4:47 PM

Well, after considering the problem (and having instead purchased an expensive geology book in the meantime), I decided to put in my prepub again. Gee, 5 whole extra days to analyze the problem.

Then re-reading Ben's mea culpa, it dawned on me, that if Ben was reluctant to ship a perfectly good resource (with 80,000 TOC entries?), saying the TOC needed work, and the massive size, then obviously, the resource would get a fair amount of future updating ... tags, tags, tags. Then, downloading, and indexing ... a LOT. Logos and its all or nothing super-strategy.

I decided to pass. The after purchase is too much (for me) to even imagine. Same happened on Perseus.

Posts 6320
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 5:01 PM

Meh! I observed the "pass over" on this one. It was going to be a never ending upgrade/update expense with limited access (i.e. Not all articles are included). I'm glad others are excited, though. Not for me!

DAL

Posts 285
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 5:29 PM

Michael Sullivan:

Thanks for mentioning this.  It's very convenient.  No Logos tagging but FREE.

Posts 1937
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 7:58 PM

DAL:

Meh! I observed the "pass over" on this one. It was going to be a never ending upgrade/update expense with limited access (i.e. Not all articles are included). I'm glad others are excited, though. Not for me!

DAL

I am actually expecting this to be my very first return.  The hype for so long...I am still only in it because of the $100 price that has already been paid long ago. But I have to admit that this purchase I am actually expecting once shipped...I will be taking that 30 day return.  I hope I am wrong.

Posts 196
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 8:00 PM

Mark:

DAL:

DAL

I am actually expecting this to be my very first return.  The hype for so long...I am still only in it because of the $100 price that has already been paid long ago. But I have to admit that this purchase I am actually expecting once shipped...I will be taking that 30 day return.  I hope I am wrong.

Unfortunately, this is my expectation as well.

Agape,

Steve

Posts 1417
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 8:55 PM

Why are so many pessimistic replies here. 80,000 articles for $100 only. I am super excited. I can wait 5 days, 30 days, or whatever. It will be still worth getting it one day. I dont care about local library in my town. Tomorrow I can move out, but with Logos it can sit on my pocket. well tagged. Thank you Faithlife for this massive production. Yes

PS: How much one article would cost you. Technically it is pretty much free with Logos. It is not worth my time to log in to my city library. It will be more expensive if I count my time. With Logos it is - 0.00125 cent per article and including Compton's it is 0.001 cent. Cool 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Page 1 of 3 (54 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS