Downgraded?

Page 3 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 45 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 128
Russel Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 8:51 AM

danwdoo:

Perhaps a terminology change would be helpful here. Instead of Logos 7 packages (gold, bronze, etc...) you buy a Logos 7 Resource pack (whatever flavor) and have a Logos Engine edition that is either starter or full (or any other editions). That way, in the future when I buy logos 9, I see that I have Logos 9 full engine and Logos 9 Gold resource pack, Logos 8 starter pack, and Logos 7 bronze pack as an example. This could help end some of the confusion that I have a logos "level" to maintain instead of realizing it is just a set of resources I bought with the new engine at a particular time in the past.

I agree, a change of terminology would help.  I think they should use the year in the naming of the libraries.  So, I could order a 2016 Orthodox Gold Library, and a 2016 Verbum Silver Library.  Then, supposing the libraries are reworked in 2018, I could add on a 2018 Orthodox Bronze Library, and a 2018 Anglican Starter Library.  Additionally, using the words "add on" a library rather than "upgrade" would help as well.

Posts 913
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 10:13 AM

How is a year distinction any different than me saying I have L6 Collectors, L7 Silver, L7 Baptist Gold and Logos Now (or the full feature set, if that is your upgrade path)? It's an upgrade because you have all of the books and features you had before, plus more, even though silver is below collectors. If I went to the bookstore and bought the Complete Works of Charles Stanley, then went back next week and bought The Early Years of Adrian Rogers, I still upgraded my library, even though the second addition was smaller than the first.

They use the "level" terminology because, as a psychological tactic, people want to preserve their "status," regardless if it has any meaning. Take it off the User Profile page (to prevent these kinds of misunderstandings) and leave everything else the same. They already call it a Library and a Feature Set instead of a base package. So if L6 Collectors Library, L7 Silver Library, L7 Baptist Gold Library and Logos Now sounds better to you, it is perfectly find to give the full title. For most of us, the other is an unambiguous shorthand. The last thing we need is yet another terminology change when people are still confused from the last one.

Posts 128
Russel Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 1:32 PM

It's really not any different.  I just think it would be less confusing to new folk, and those not quite as invested in Logos. I think the current system makes sense, but there sure are a lot of confused people posting in these forums.

In any case, it is just a suggestion.  And I'm certain that you are correct that the "level" terminology is intentional, and so I do not expect it to change.

Posts 1
Deacon John Szarek | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 28 2017 7:32 AM

I can understand the frustration. I purchased Verbum Capstone, the top of the line, I tried to keep up with updates throughout the years, but now if I want to own the top of the line for Verbum 7 I would have to fork out over $2,000 more dollars. I no longer show up as having Capstone but instead fall under Verbum 7 Gold. I'm not in it for the status, but what I have noticed is that with each of these upgrades there are a lot of books that I would never in my entire lifetime use. I would like to see Verbum list ALL available library resources and tools as potential upgrades and allow us, the consumer, to select specifically what we want to add. So if Greek is meaningless to me, I can save myself some additional money and not have it in an upgrade to Portfolio or perhaps substitute Sacra Pagina Collection instead. I find it odd that a collection like Sacra Pagina is on sale but even if I upgrade to Verbum 7 Portfolio, it wouldn't be available to me. I would much prefer being told that I am currently at Verbum 7 Gold, for $2,000 more I can upgrade to Portfolio and select ANY 200 of 500 library resources I want and 5 of 10 tools that I want.

Posts 25378
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 28 2017 5:18 PM

Deacon John Szarek:
but what I have noticed is that with each of these upgrades there are a lot of books that I would never in my entire lifetime use.
Deacon John Szarek:
I would like to see Verbum list ALL available library resources and tools as potential upgrades and allow us, the consumer, to select specifically what we want to add.

With the separation of resources and features we now have a better understanding of the value of the resources we purchase with a (Logos 7) Library, and can view a Library as a Collection with (usually) a very good Sale price. But FL want a Library to equip users with resources that effectively utilize the features of the software (those that are included + those separately purchased). Hence the inclusion of certain English bibles, bible dictionaries, English dictionaries, grammars, lexicons, Greek Bibles, Hebrew Bibles, atlases, maps and media. Then there are 'filler' resources (to me) like Latin texts, Other Ancient Language texts, Journals, Theology, Church History, Ministry, Counselling, etc. But I look at the 'sale' value of the resources I want and purchase accordingly. Then I hide many of the 'fillers'.

Deacon John Szarek:
I find it odd that a collection like Sacra Pagina is on sale but even if I upgrade to Verbum 7 Portfolio, it wouldn't be available to me.

Sales usually depend on the publishers, especially when discounted in Libraries. So if you are not chasing the status, accept the current sale and the possibility that it may later be offered at a better discount in a Library.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 47
Bob Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 1 2017 5:59 AM

Greg has hit the nail on the head.  What we really need to do is to think differently than we used to think.  We were all taught to think in terms of "packages" and levels.  When I started years ago with the starter set, I had a plan to move up through the levels every few years until I could get to the top.  So, a while later I upgraded to Bronze, and I was on my way.  When Logos 7 came out, I thought I'd move up to Silver.  However, the price was much higher than I was expecting, so I looked deeper.  We all know the way that Logos changed how the feature sets work, but that was only part of it.  I found that the Silver library was now much different than it was when I first started on my upgrade plan.  The same was true for the other packages as well.

What this showed me was that I could no longer think about the packages as I had before.  In fact, getting a Starter package again (using dynamic pricing) would actually give me some resources that I did not have, even though I had previously purchased Starter.  As Greg mentioned, I still have everything I've ever purchased--nothing was taken away.  The big difference, though, is that the packages no longer mean what they used to mean.

For many reasons, Logos changes the definitiion of what is included in a package.  I think that, instead of caring what package I have, I should focus on what resources I have.  The packages represent a cost-effective way to add resources to my library.  Sure, I agree that it's confusing, and we no longer have a way of determining where we are on the "package ladder", but if you think of it in terms of the resources you have, I think you'll see that it's still good.  

Maybe I'll just keep "upgrading" to Bronze every once in a while, and I'll still get something new.  Just a thought...    ;-)

Bob

Page 3 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS