Of those who upgraded to Logos 7

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 39 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 14 2016 2:44 PM

Did you upgrade primarily because of the new features available in Logos 7, or did you upgrade to take advantage of the book packages?

Which was more important to you?

As for me, it was more the book packages.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 10126
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 2:51 PM

Full feature set, for the 2 interlinears, and the multi-view. Then some Zondervan, while the sale lasts.

Posts 4920
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 3:01 PM

Book packages. I have no use for sermon editor. A lot of features / datasets  of any interest I already had access via Logos Now. 

When it comes to the book packages of the resources i don't have and am interested in they are spread out over a number of denominational packages with very little overlap. So this time around I won't be able to initially get all of the resources I would have liked but thankful for what I can get and for the ongoing discounts Logos Now offers.

Posts 6337
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 3:36 PM

I upgraded primarily for new books.  The features I bought to own them, though I had access to them through Logos Now.  As mentioned by DOC, the various base packages don't overlap as much, so dynamic pricing is still high on some other BP's.  I'm upgrading as I can, but as of now, I have everything I need.  Mainly looking at Baptist Platinum and Standard Platinum as final upgrades, but may have to wait a little longer for those. 

I'm definitely looking forward to mastering Sermon Editor and other features.

DAL

Posts 286
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 4:54 PM

The books. I have the Bronze Verbum library and the Starter tools

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. Gold: Orthodox. Bronze: Lutheran. Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 927
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 6:08 PM

Michael Childs:

Did you upgrade primarily because of the new features available in Logos 7, or did you upgrade to take advantage of the book packages?

Which was more important to you?

As for me, it was more the book packages.

Mine was both. There were some feature sets that were attractive, and then I saw that there were three sets in L7 Standard Gold that I would like to have.

With previous major upgrades, the larger, higher packages were important to me but no longer. It's surprising the gems that one can find in the new smaller packages.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 1825
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 7:33 PM

Purely new books.

1. New features are not really geared towards preparing a sermon. Even the new Sermon Note thingy is still premature. (not available on mobile,  -- ship now fix later type of business model)
  2. Visual Copy still doesn't even have the capability to edit the font size and style, though Logos' promotional video said so. *more marketing pitch.
  3. Worst.. They haven't improve their so called famous tagging system. (those thousands monographs in our library are just sitting ducks for years)
  4. And few other stuffs that I'm disappointed with.

Logos 7 release is more like another day of the 6-week Logos Now cycle. No face-lift, no groundbreaking/magical features. I'm even still ok for them to call it Logos 6.15 

I've used Logos around 3 days a week, and I haven't lose sleep at all without Logos 7 new features.

Posts 162
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 8:56 PM

Mainly the books for me.  I'm just a lay person so the Sermon Editor has no value for me even though it's supposed to be a big new feature.

I ended up getting Standard Bronze for the mobile ed NT211 class because I was interested to check it out.  I'm coming from a Logos 6 Platinum library so this was a very inexpensive upgrade.  $69 for the library.  So it was worth it just for the class.  I think a class by Darrell Bock is worth it.  The New Daily Study Bible seems to be a good addition for me as well.  

The main upgrade was Anglican Bronze because I wanted the NT Wright resources (For Everyone Series and various books) that were bundled.  I didn't have most of them and many were on my wish list so it was a no brainer to spend roughly $100 for more than $400 in resources I planned to use.

The course tool looks promising.  I have enough of the resources for most of the classes.  I'm still missing AYBD though which is used in a few of them.  Stepping up to a Gold package was too steep to get AYBD in a base package. AYBD and ACCS seems to be the main resources that I didn't have.  ACCS doesn't seem like a compelling addition since I already have a lot of commentaries (WBC, NICOT/NT, NIVAC, PNTC, TOTC/TNTC, NAC)

New Testament Use of the Old Testament looks very interesting.

Improved text comparison is useful for me since I don't know original languages.

Spellcheck with notes is nice.  Although I could've sworn this feature was already in version 6.  It seemed to be working last week before I upgraded.

Posts 1098
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 9:30 PM

Books, because I already had 7 because of my Now subscription.

I got Methodist Bronze for about $90 because it was the package with the most bang for the buck for my interests.

Michael:
I'm still missing AYBD though which is used in a few of them.  Stepping up to a Gold package was too steep to get AYBD in a base package.

And when I stuck the Methodist Bronze in my cart, I had the option (which I took) of getting the AYBD at $70 off (=$200). So, for just under $300, I got a decent small library with the AYBD--a much better deal for me than the Gold packages which included said Dictionary.

Posts 503
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 9:34 PM

I upgraded primarily for the datasets. I do not want to fall behind too far. I did however chose the "best" Bronze package in terms of price and books.

Posts 3659
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2016 12:03 AM

I have not completely upgraded yet, but took the starter feature set and intend to get the full set when I can. 

I have way more books than I will ever read, so I don't feel that I need to get a whole bunch of them. At this point, I only buy very specific resources and get collections if they make me get the books I want for cheaper than separately.

But I want to keep on increasing my ability to mine the Scriptures (and other resources I have) and this is what datasets and features make possible. 

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2016 5:47 AM

I was primarily interested in Sermon Editor and Multiview.  On top of those, being able to get two Mobile Ed courses made Methodist/Wesleyan Bronze a good deal for me.    

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2016 11:42 AM

I am  Now subscriber - so I was automatically upgraded to 7.

I did also pick up a Bronze package for the library.

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2016 11:55 AM

Logos Starter Feature Set, because my Dynamic Price was insanely low. Looking to get the Verbum Starter Feature Set for the same reason. Also looking at Bronze and higher packages in different traditions based on which items already on my wishlists are included in what package(s). I am comparing the cost of those wishlist items separately with the cost of the package which contains them to identify "best buys" for me. I'm away from that spreadsheet at the moment, but there are some... interesting opportunities, cash flow permitting.

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2016 12:16 PM

I upgraded because of the Tyndale commentary set - the upgrade price was not much more than the set discounted, and I also bought the feature set.

Logos 7 has more features than I can utilize, but I try to keep up with the technology and and be ready for situations where I have to work off-line.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 23
C Stutzman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2016 1:30 PM

For me it was both. Got a larger library and a couple of smaller ones. Since I bought a package and received a discount on the Mobil Ed classes picked up those also. Picked up L7 and Verbum ( was only like $2.00 more) full feature sets. Wanted the full feature sets to keep up on them. And since buying LN gave me an ok discount picked that up too, well that and the Mobile Ed class that is included. Um and the discounts. Oh yea and maybe some free stuff now and then.

Posts 8900
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2016 2:20 PM

I'm another person who did it for both. Buying base packages is the most cost-efficient way to grow your library.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2760
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2016 2:51 PM

Primarily for the books. If I didn't have LN, it would have been for both. The base packages (even the small ones) are the most economical way of increasing the library with need resources, although you will get some resources that you may not imagine needing.

Posts 128
Russel Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2016 3:01 PM

I did for both.  The Concordance Tool looks pretty cool, and I think I'll use it quite a lot in the future.  I am also looking forward to getting the BCP28 Lectionary that is only included in the Full Feature Set when it is released.  But it is also a great way to get additional books for my library.  I have my eyes set on a certain Gold Level library, but I don't quite have the money for that yet.  So, in the meantime, I've purchased the Bronze with the Full Feature Set.

Posts 2237
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2016 8:21 PM

I'm always happy to add the new features even if I'm not going to use them all. The libraries are really the foundation of Logos and building them is always the hook for getting the update. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS