Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 246
Claude Brown Jr | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 19 2016 1:35 PM

I have Logos Now and never buy a base package. I take advantage of the lower price discount for four years. At the end of year four Logos 9 has a base package I find attractive. I also decide to not continue my Logos Now Membership. Will I be charged for the additional features of 7 and 8 along with those in the new Logos 9?

Posts 26543
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 1:47 PM

Probably but who knows the situation that far into the future. If there are absolutely no changes to how pricing is managed, then yes you'll pay for the features of L4, L5, L6, L7, L8 and L9 minus features that have been replaced or removed.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2
Dean Poulos | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 10:24 PM

Hi Claude,

I like the way you ask questions. Big Smile

"I have Logos Now and never buy a base package."

I also have Logos Now and still don't understand the yearly price. I just paid for another year ($89) which is. < $7.50 a month. Compare that to the older costs of those Cross-grades since the most expensive Cross-grade ($600-$700) is what we get with Logos Now and while those X-Grades did come with a few resources, when you combine the discounts and other things as well as the ability to build your own books, which I only learned two months if in public domain can match a resource and also can now be uploaded and it rolls right into your library, I'll probably be keeping it.

Logos 6 was odd for me since aside from my first large base package after Libronix, version 6 is the first time I purchased base packages and they were both triggered by my wish list. The Bronze Baptist and Silver Reformed. Last Spring I planned on taking a Fall Certificate Course at Boston Baptist, what I did not plan on is that a resource in my wish list for 3 years now, when Logos 7 hit, that book ended up in an Academic package, which not only gets me the resource I've been waiting for, but a great deal, it's a Biblical Languages package.

What in the world happens to me if I do the same as you Claude and when version 9 comes around, I decide to buy a Starter package? 

Actually, I think what would happen, is the functions you will get if you were to drop Logos Now at version 9, assuming all things are equal, logic dictates, if you buy a Base Package that comes with ALL the functions of Version 9, then you lose nothing except you stop getting the new Version 10 features that comes out every 2-3 weeks. However, if you buy a starter package. who knows? 

One thing I did notice though, the two base packages I purchased in Logos 6 (again, using my wish list) had a higher discount after I selected "New to Me." So, I am getting something extra above the credits for books I already own in the package due to having all the functions in Logos Now.

God bless,

EN XRISTWi,

Dean

Posts 4645
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 11:03 PM

Claude Brown Jr:
I have Logos Now and never buy a base package.

So I am paying for 'Logos Now' for four years.

Claude Brown Jr:
I take advantage of the lower price discount for four years.

When buying the resources I need at the the time I can get the best price (using the discount to effectively reduce the cost of Logos Now).

Claude Brown Jr:
At the end of year four Logos 9 has a base package I find attractive.

1. I have not yet cancelled Logos Now -- so I get a discount on those resources but when I do cancel Logos Now -- I loose the tools I may well need to make the best use of them.

2. I have already cancelled Logos Now-- so I don't get a discount and then I don't have the tools I may well need to make the best use of my new resources.

With Logos Now being the equivalent of about a bottle of beer a week if you opt for either 1 or 2 you won't save enough on your Logos Now subscription to drown your sorrows.

Posts 987
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 1:42 AM

Dean Poulos:
I like the way you ask questions. Big Smile

Yes

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 7:15 AM

Claude Brown Jr:

I also decide to not continue my Logos Now Membership. 

I am committed to buying resources/libraries and renting features (i.e., subscribing to Logos Now) for the foreseeable future because it appears that the cumulative cost of renting features is always going to be less expensive than the cost of purchasing features. This is all the more true when you figure in the additional discounts on libraries that you get with Logos Now. I did purchase the feature crossgrade of Logos 6, so if for some reason I couldn't continue my subscription, I'd still have the Logos 6 features. But if I can afford (say) car insurance, I find it hard to imagine being unable to afford $100 a year for Logos Now.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 246
Claude Brown Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 7:28 AM

MJ. Smith:

Probably but who knows

My friend your responses never disappoint, thanks.

Posts 17
Richard Billingsley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 5:40 PM

I appears those of you who have Logos Now can clarify exactly how this thing works. 

I'm a newbie, still learning how to use Logos.  I got the Starter Set because I did not understand what this Logos Now offers.  I keep reading the descriptions of the features, but I am just not clicking.

My wonder is; if I have the Logos Now membership, do I have to purchase the various sets to gain access to those books.  If that is the case, then I see no true value in the membership.  Yes, there are discounts and that is nice, but if it doesn't have the books I want what value is it?

I guess I just don't understand enough about Logos yet to really understand what this Logos Now membership really offers.

Posts 27687
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 6:03 PM

Richard Billingsley:
if I have the Logos Now membership, do I have to purchase the various sets to gain access to those books.

Which books do you refer? 

Richard Billingsley:
I guess I just don't understand enough about Logos yet to really understand what this Logos Now membership really offers.

It used to be that Logos would sell "base packages" about every 2-3 years. These included both books and features. The old economic model was "famine and feast" for Faithlife. Large influxes of funds would come in with the sale of these base packages (feast), but the income of money would be a bit too much like "famine" in the "in between" time. This is still the case to an extent, but Faithlife has made an effort to "level out" the flow of funds. They have done this by creating a membership program called "Logos Now." 

A part of the LN membership is access to features past, present, and even "future" (as they are developed). Subscribers to LN will continue to have access to these features as long as they continue to subscribe to the membership. Current LN members have access to all the features of L7, and will have access to the L8 features (which likely will be released in about 2 years) bit by bit in the coming months. 

Back to the "old days." Base packages included both books and features. With the advent of L7, the SALE (ownership) of books and features is now separate. If you want to own BOOKS, you purchase a "library." If you want to own FEATURES, you purchase a "feature set." If you want to own both, you buy both. If you want to RENT features, you become a LN member. 

It should be pointed out that LN is more than just "renting features." It is a membership program with many benefits. Only one of those benefits is access to current and future features. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4645
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 11:16 PM

alabama24:
With the advent of L7, the SALE (ownership) of books and features is now separate. If you want to own BOOKS, you purchase a "library." If you want to own FEATURES, you purchase a "feature set." If you want to own both, you buy both. If you want to RENT features, you become a LN member. 

Hi Richard (I'm not really replying to Alabama just copying his post the lazy way)

Let me clarify the the clarification.

From this time on... i.e. Forget about the past and face the future.

Resources (Books) is books they don't come with features attached.

Features.

1. You can buy some (most) but not all. There are some things that money can't buy. So the purchasable, inaptly named, 'Full Feature Set' is really better described as a 'Nearly Full Feature Set'.

2. You can rent 'Logos Now' which has all the features (the ones money can't buy) and then some additional membership benefits and is really better described as an'Overflowing Full Feature Set'.

NB some features (as I understand it) do rely on you having some resources so on occasion a resource will be supplied with a feature.

NB the features money can't buy tend to be the ones that need online servers to do the processing.

Posts 17
Richard Billingsley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2016 7:38 AM

I think I'm starting to get the idea.  What Logos Now provides is "Features" and we are required to buy "Libraries" or books.  But when I look at features I see just as many books and resources in the features as the libraries. Libraries and Features appear to be the exact same thing.

Is there anything differentiates a Library and a Feature?  Or is it just what Logos decides, this is going to be a feature and this a library, or is there more to it?

I just got the Starter set and all it has is a library, no features.  So, I looked at the Bronze set.  It has both libraries and features.  But there appear to be the same types of items in both.  For example:  both have Courses.  And what is a "Dataset?"

So, if I get Logos Now I get all the Features from all of the sets, but if I want some of the items in the Library I have to buy them?

Posts 10556
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2016 8:42 AM

Richard Billingsley:
So, if I get Logos Now I get all the Features from all of the sets

That is correct

Richard Billingsley:
but if I want some of the items in the Library I have to buy them?

The items in the Library are resources, and they do require purchase.

Richard Billingsley:
I looked at the Bronze set.  It has both libraries and features. 

But those should appear as two separate purchases—one for features, and one for library resources.

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2016 9:02 AM

Claude Brown Jr:
Will I be charged for the additional features of 7 and 8 along with those in the new Logos 9?

So my guess would be that what you would be able to buy is the current feature set of Logos 9 and that this means that you would potentially lose any features from previous versions that had been discontinued by Logos for which you do not have a permanent license. 

Another unanswered question here is what happens to discontinued features for Logos Now subscribers as we only have a temporary license.

So if you consider Handouts, I still have this as I purchased a permanent license with a version upgrades, this is maintained by Faithlife but is no longer actively developed or marketed. Theoretically if they drop a Logos 7 introduced feature in Logos 8 as a Logos Now subscriber I would lose access to the feature while a someone who purchased the Full Feature Set would keep it. My guess though is that Faithlife will honour my license as long as I maintain a subscription and may allow me to retain it if I purchased a future Full Feature Set.

As a Logos Now customer I feel that there are a number of questions that still need to be answered but personally I am not concerned for two reasons:

1. I have no immediate plans to stop subscribing
  2. My 20 plus year history tells me that Faithlife will do the right thing (even if there is some pain along the way)

The current reality is that the software and media world seems to be moving to subscription and in the next few years this will either be the defacto way of doing things or will have been replaced by another approach. The changes that Faithlife are making are simply an attempt to respond to the dynamics of the marketplace while balancing the interests of those of us who have already made a substantial investment in licenses.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS