Ditching the desktop PC???

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2236
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 24 2016 6:08 PM

I was finally getting my desk setup in order in my new apartment. And then my desktop PC decided to have a hissy fit. It started up fine and then just shut down. Tried again. And again And again. Same deal just shutting after about 10-15 minutes. It's an HP Envy with an AMD Athalon running Win 10 latest. Very decent specs I have no idea why. It's not old but long out of warranty, not used much, Never really a problem child. 

So while I try and get to the bottom of this potential boat anchor, I am beginning to wonder if I might be best off just using my better PC laptop with a desktop monitor instead. I have a Mac desktop which is my main machine and it's preferable for imaging, music and most heavy lifting with Bible study. My desktop PC hobby fun has pretty much been declined in favor of useful Logos resources.

Thoughts?

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2016 6:15 PM

My PC crashed due to Windows 10 and AMD issues. It's the attack from Microsoft against AMD. So either get an Intel machine or keep using the MAC.

Posts 1631
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2016 6:19 PM

You've probably already tried cleaning the dust out of the cooling fins, power supply, etc? 10-15 mins might suggest that it's overheating.

But to answer your question: yes: I've dumped the desktop a few years back, in favor of a laptop with a decent screen (17"), a powerful processor, heaps of RAM, and an SSD for the o/s and Logos (as well as a spinning disk for large data files). Wouldn't look back.

Posts 6321
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2016 6:39 PM

Desktop? What is that? Just kidding! I remember the desktop years of my life.  I look back and the feeling of being tied to a steel ball and chain comes back...not a good feeling! I love laptops and though I have to replace them every 3 years, I don't mind, since it's only 300 to 400 bucks.  For what I use it, it's a good investment.  Nothing lasts forever.

DAL

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2016 7:10 PM

DAL:

I love laptops and though I have to replace them every 3 years . . .

DAL

3 years? My secondary development laptop I bought in December 2008, has Vista, still runs good (I have a program that is only on that machine). My former main laptop I bought in the fall of 2009 and finally replaced it last December (still use it on occasion). I still have a tower I built from scratch in 1998. It currently has DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11. All laptops have a 24' or 27' duel monitor.

You must be hard on yours  Wink

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2016 7:12 PM

It has been years since I had a desktop.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2016 7:14 PM

Matt Hamrick:

My PC crashed due to Windows 10 and AMD issues. It's the attack from Microsoft against AMD. So either get an Intel machine or keep using the MAC.

My main development laptop bought over 6 months ago is a Win 10/AMD and has always worked fine. When I used to build towers they were usually AMD because of price/performance ratio back then.

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 5:20 AM

Interesting discussion. I remember paying $2500 for a desktop. Now I can get an Asus laptop for $1500 with great screen and 12gig of ram. I have had my Samsung laptop for about 5 years without any problems and I use it with a Vizio 23" screen. I removed Logos software from it some time back because of limited space on the "c" partition but installed BibleWorks which I had for some years. Now I run Logos on a MacBook Pro with a 256g SSD. And like working that way. So time to be thinking of getting a new computer and have both bible programs run on it so I don't have to keep running back and forth.

Ergatees

Posts 1699
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 5:33 AM

In addition to the wise counsel of cleaning interior dust, you might also make sure cards and chips are well-seated, since you just moved. The components might be barely seated, and upon startup, one of them might heat-up just enough to unseat and crash the machine.

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 6:22 AM

By your description, either the heatsink/fan on the processor has come loose, causing your computer to overheat, or your power supply is in the process of dying.  You could try to run something like HWMonitor (you just need the free version on the left of the page), which would show you your temperatures.  

As far as desktop vs. laptop, I think it depends on what you do.  Besides biblical research, I play video games and do video editing on my PC, so I build them myself for these purposes.  I also run two video cards and four monitors.  I cannot imaging doing research on one monitor, as it would drive me crazy switching from tab to tab.  If that was not a concern, then I would absolutely go with a laptop.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2236
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 9:40 AM

Some great advice here. I need to open up the PC and do some housekeeping before I plan on saying Kaddish. I just don't have much confidence.in it anymore. The older I get, the more sensitive I've become to time sinkholes. The desktop serves as backup to my Mac desktop, but I haven't needed  that in all the years I've owned it and I could do the same with the laptop for all purposes for the most part.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 10:16 AM

In August I had similar symptoms and it was malware causing the problems. Malwarebytes was used to fix it, by a service company, but seems to be freely available. I assume the service company also removed physical dust from my desktop: it does not sound like a jet engine anymore.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 370
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 8:44 AM

You might also check and see if all of your drivers are up to date.

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 370
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 8:45 AM

Michael Childs:

It has been years since I had a desktop.

Same here.

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 2236
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 9:49 PM

Finally got around to opening up the HP. It was ridiculously easy and my first impression was that everything was in order. Nothing loose, not very dirty, and certainly plenty of interior space for all the components. Just wiped out any accumulation I could see. Stark contrast to my last desktop PC which was dust bunny central inside. I plugged it in while open case and all the fans were working ok.

Set up and running ok for the last hour or so! Guarded optimism. I've given it some more room around for ventilation and I've installed HWMonitor. Maybe it just wanted some attention.

All I could do this weekend was pray. All the technology in the world doesn't mean spit when it doesn't work and you don't know why.

Posts 776
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2016 8:18 AM

James Chandler:
You might also check and see if all of your drivers are up to date.

Absolutely.  Updated drivers solve a lot of problems that people tend to blame [incorrectly] on software, operating system, or hardware.  

If you don't want to laboriously update drivers one by one via Windows' Device Manager, try using the free version of Driver Booster from IObit.  It catches a ton of old drivers and will automatically update them.  The paid version will catch even more and downloads them faster.

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 2236
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2017 10:51 AM

This is an old thread, but I finally resolved the issue with my desktop this week. I began investigating the power supply that Joseph mentioned. Someone said that the only way you can rightly determine if the power supply is the issue is by swapping it out. So I ordered a Corsair power supply from Newegg and installed it. 

That did it. It's up, rock solid and running like a champ. Power supplies aren't a glamour item like a CPU, but they are every bit as important to a good system.

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2017 11:11 AM

I'm glad it worked out!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2236
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2017 1:10 PM

Joseph Turner:

I'm glad it worked out!

Yes! Would have put a crimp on any more Logos resources if it didn't. Geeked

Posts 263
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2017 5:58 PM

For years I had a desktop in my office that I supplemented with a laptop for mobility. In 2010, I went exclusively to a laptop and never once looked back. Never missed it a single day - especially once the world of wifi and wireless printers opened up.  Then in 2012 I made the leap to a MacBook Pro and have never touched a PC again. With Logos 6, there came full parity between the Mac and PC versions of Logos. I presently use a 2015 MacBook Pro with a 15 inch screen and absolutely wouldn't know what to do with a desktop.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS