Logos March Madness

Page 11 of 13 (249 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next >
This post has 248 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:50 PM

Theophilus:

Wow! The time you took to reply to my post was less than the time I needed to start up L4 (which I was really doing in the background).

You mean it took you more than 2 minutes to start up L4? That's pretty slow! I'm able to start it up in about 20-25 seconds. I still wish it were faster than that, but I understand it has a lot to do on startup, unlike some programs (e.g., Word) which just come up with a blank slate for you to start working.

Posts 79
Theophilus | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 11:26 PM

Rosie Perera:

You mean it took you more than 2 minutes to start up L4? That's pretty slow!

Yes, it is. Actually, it takes me close to 5 minutes, but hey ...

Mac OSX 10.4 --> Parallels (+ User Delay) --> Windows XP (+ User Delay) --> Logos4 (+ startup with internet connection on)

And it's a pretty old Mac with only 2GB RAM, to be shared between Mac OS, Win and L4. Really can't complain. I'm actually thankful that I can even run L4 on it without having to cough up more $$$ to upgrade the existing hardware/software.

But really, my earlier remark was more of a compliment of your promptness than a complaint of how slow L4 was. Thanks Wink

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 22 2010 11:34 PM

Theophilus:

But really, my earlier remark was more of a compliment of your promptness than a complaint of how slow L4 was. Thanks Wink

Oh, I know that wasn't your intent. And thanks for the kudos. I was just noticing the difference between timestamps of when I posted and when you posted your reply and was shocked at how long Logos took to start up for you. You have a really great attitude about it! I wish more people could be like that.

Posts 1053
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:23 PM

"The Biblical Theology Set (3 Vols.)" includes the "The Ways of Our God: An Approach to Biblical Theology" but it is cheaper! Why people still voting for "The Ways of Our God: An Approach to Biblical Theology" so much?

Posts 343

In Division Two, I just checked online what Spurgeon's Treasury of David Commentary was like to see if it would be a good commentary on Psalms.  My finding was that it's very in depth!  For each Psalm it has an 1. Exposition,  2. Explanatory Notes and Quaint Sayings,  3. Hints to the Village Preacher.  You can get a taste of it by going to http://www.spurgeon.org/treasury/ps001.htm for a read on Psalm 1.

You'll have to decide for yourself if this would be profitable for your studies, but it has my vote!

Jason Saling

Posts 769
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 11:28 PM

Kolen Cheung:

"The Biblical Theology Set (3 Vols.)" includes the "The Ways of Our God: An Approach to Biblical Theology" but it is cheaper! Why people still voting for "The Ways of Our God: An Approach to Biblical Theology" so much?

Nice catch. Yes everyone stop voting for it!!!!

Posts 296
Jonathan West | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 2:27 AM

I wonder why there is such a disparity oin the Voters against each division.

They number 232/371/346/230 at the moment - why are Div 2 & 3 so much higher than Div 1/2?

www.emmanuelecc.org

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 2:31 AM

Jonathan West:

I wonder why there is such a disparity oin the Voters against each division.

They number 232/371/346/230 at the moment - why are Div 2 & 3 so much higher than Div 1/2?

Evidently more people are interested in those books. People likely won't vote for anything in a given division if they've already got all the books in it.

Posts 296
Jonathan West | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 3:19 AM

I thought that ... but the tag line says "Voters" not "Votes" - so it the tag line wrong?

www.emmanuelecc.org

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 3:33 AM

Jonathan West:

I thought that ... but the tag line says "Voters" not "Votes" - so it the tag line wrong?

No, "Total Voters" is correct. If you add up the total number of votes that each book got in any one division it does not equal the total voters figure at the bottom. Total number of votes would be meaningless, because voters can vote for either one or two of the books in any column. Total number of voters means how many people voted at all in this column. A higher number there still indicates that more people were interested in the books in that column, in general.

Posts 296
Jonathan West | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 3:49 AM

So loads of people have voted in Div 2 and 3 but not in 1 and 4Wink

... so here's an appeal for you dear folk to vote in Div 1 and 4 as well, and please vote for ...

Pillar Commentary on John and Doctrine of the Atonement in Division 1

Commentary on 1-3 John in Division 4 (as I will be preaching from epistles of John this autumn ...)

please! Big Smile

www.emmanuelecc.org

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 4:24 AM

Jonathan West:

Yup. It's not really a huge discrepancy. I didn't cast all my possible votes in Rounds 1 and 2 because in some divisions there were only a few books that I had any interest in. As of Round 3, half the books that are left are ones I want, and they conveniently happened to be distributed evenly among the divisions, so I used all my votes. Two per division.

Jonathan West:

... so here's an appeal for you dear folk to vote in Div 1 and 4 as well, and please vote for ...

Pillar Commentary on John and Doctrine of the Atonement in Division 1

It looks like the Pillar is coming in 2nd in Div 1 thus far (granted, with not a lot of voters having chimed in yet; but it's a good random sampling probably). So it will likely survive to the next round, which means it will have at least a 40% discount. I don't know if they'll keep the separate divisions for Round 4 or if they'll put them all in one list by that point. If the latter, then the Pillar has a good chance of surviving even that round and going to 45%, because it will be up against some book from the other divisions which might be of lesser interest over all to people. Even if it doesn't end up in the top 2 in Div 1 after this current round, 35% is a mighty nice discount!

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 6:11 AM

Also, and surely this has already been said somewhere in the previous ten pages of this thread Smile), check your library. If you have L4 Platinum, for instance, you already have the Pillar offerings, IIRC.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 296
Jonathan West | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:37 AM

I don't have Platinum ... but that brings up an interesting point.

If you have Platinum (which when published included Pillar 8 vols) do you automatically get any new volumes of Pillar that are published subsequently? I guess not ... but does anyone know for certain?

www.emmanuelecc.org

Posts 296
Jonathan West | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:39 AM

Rosie Perera:

Jonathan West:

Yup. It's not really a huge discrepancy. I didn't cast all my possible votes in Rounds 1 and 2 because in some divisions there were only a few books that I had any interest in. As of Round 3, half the books that are left are ones I want, and they conveniently happened to be distributed evenly among the divisions, so I used all my votes. Two per division.

It is significant though, as at the moment 200 people have cast votes in Divs 2 and 3 but not in 1 and 4 (more than 25% of the people who have voted)! Could make a difference as it seems at the cut-off by the end of each round voting can be quite tight ...

www.emmanuelecc.org

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:39 AM

Jonathan West:
If you have Platinum (which when published included Pillar 8 vols) do you automatically get any new volumes of Pillar that are published subsequently? I guess not ... but does anyone know for certain?

For certain you do not get the new volumes. Now, one presumes that additional Pillar would be included whenever the Platinum level is revised in a couple of years if you choose to pay whatever the upgrade price is.

Posts 1053
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 28 2010 11:28 PM

It is misfortune these two

• Lectures to My Students, by Charles Spurgeon (4 Vols.) (52%, 838 Votes)
  • Pillar New Testament Commentary: Gospel According to John, D. A. Carson (48%, 783 Votes)

are put together. Otherwise, the Carson has a high chance to go much further.

Posts 2898
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 11:53 AM

Carson's Pillar Commentary on John is a victim of its own popularity.  Many people have already bought it; therefore, they are voting for other things.  If I didn't already own it, it would be at the top of my list.  

I do hope the same thing does not happen to Marshalls' Pastoral Epistles.  I don't have it, and want it.  I am afraid that many who would be interested have already bought it, and something else will slip by it.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 5625
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 11:58 AM

Michael Childs:

I do hope the same thing does not happen to Marshalls' Pastoral Epistles.... I am afraid that many who would be interested have already bought it, and something else will slip by it.

I think Marshall is too expensive to be a popular purchase--so not many have it.  I think it will win since it gives the biggest discount by winning.  The most expensive resource in the competition won last year too.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 3747
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 12:24 PM

Rosie Perera:
People likely won't vote for anything in a given division if they've already got all the books in it.

Or otherwise don't really want the books in it...

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Page 11 of 13 (249 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > | RSS