Logos March Madness

Page 12 of 13 (249 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next >
This post has 248 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 12:31 PM

BillS:

Rosie Perera:
People likely won't vote for anything in a given division if they've already got all the books in it.

Or otherwise don't really want the books in it...

You mean there are actually some people who do not want everything Logos offers? Huh? (I did not see a tongue-in-cheek smiley)

Posts 1053
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 30 2010 12:44 AM

I am interested in

The Shape of Sola Scriptura, Keith A. Mathison 

Do you think it is a good book on the subject? Are there any book that is even better on the same subject?

Thanks.

Posts 159
Darcy S. Van Horn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 30 2010 1:12 AM

Greetings Everyone! 

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with both Scobie's "The Ways of Our God" and House's "Old Testament Theology".  Are they similar in the view they take of biblical theology?  What are the advantages of one over the other?  What is the underlying (systematic) theological tradition of the two authors (ie Reformed, Arminian, Dispensational, Covenant, etc.)?  Recommendations for someone who can only afford to purchase one of them at the present time?  Thanks for any insights you can share!

In Him,

Darcy

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 30 2010 4:47 AM

Darcy,

I don't know much about Scobie, but i did read House in Seminary as a textbook for a class on OT theology. House is Baptist I believe and I don't recall his work being shaded much by Dispensationalism or Covenant. Instead he looks for the theological emphases of the various OT books. I appreciated that he didn't focus on a detailed reconstructing the text's theoretical prehistory but dealt with it as we have it.

Posts 159
Darcy S. Van Horn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 30 2010 10:16 AM

Thanks Kevin, Mark, and Todd!  Your comments and the online reviews are very helpful.  It would be nice to have both books, but if I have to choose, it looks like Scobie 'scratches where I itch' at the present time.  Thanks for your help!

In Him,

Darcy

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 30 2010 2:36 PM

Jack Caviness:

You mean there are actually some people who do not want everything Logos offers? Huh? (I did not see a tongue-in-cheek smiley)

I remember Bob Pritchett saying he personally has no need for a Coptic Lexicon. But I bet if you could read his Logos 4 bibliography you'd find one in there! Confused

About the only resources I won't buy are the foreign language resources (Spanish, Chinese, Dutch...) Until I learn those languages,

tidbit:   Did you know you can search foreign words (not just Greek/Hebrew) by highlighting? That speeds things up if you are slow at input methods for Chinese, Korean or Japanese. I bet missionaries can use this as a language learning tool.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3747
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 30 2010 10:44 PM

Jack Caviness:
You mean there are actually some people who do not want everything Logos offers?

Guilty... Research, maybe... pleasure reading, no. devotional, no. Secular, no, unless it somehow relates to producing a sermon... (anecdotes, illustrations, ?)...

Will I buy more books? Yes. Do I want or need everything Logos offers? Nope.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 5:30 AM

Darcy S. Van Horn:

Thanks Kevin, Mark, and Todd!  Your comments and the online reviews are very helpful.  It would be nice to have both books, but if I have to choose, it looks like Scobie 'scratches where I itch' at the present time.  Thanks for your help!

In Him,

Darcy

Darcy, don't know if you have purchased yet, but since you are interested in Scobie, you may want to get him as part of this 3-book set:

http://www.logos.com/products/details/3638

It currently sells for $40, about 8-9 dollars more than LMM sale on Scobies book, but you are getting two more books at a great value.  That's what I did.

I have House, too.  I have found good nuggets in his writing, but I can't compare with Scobie because I just purchased it.  But I really really like House.  And I am not Baptist, either.  Stick out tongue

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 6:52 AM

BillS:

Jack Caviness:
You mean there are actually some people who do not want everything Logos offers?

Guilty... Research, maybe... pleasure reading, no. devotional, no. Secular, no, unless it somehow relates to producing a sermon... (anecdotes, illustrations, ?)...

Will I buy more books? Yes. Do I want or need everything Logos offers? Nope.

That's where I am, though I still want more than I can afford. Wink

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 2898
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 7:17 AM

Removed by poster. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 7:25 AM

Michael Childs:
I don't want everything offered by Logos either. 

Hey, my comment was tongue in cheek. I wasn't intending to start a new discussion. I don't want everything in Logos either. I try to look at my budget, the anticipated value of the resource to me, and the price. It all that is positive, I buy. Otherwise, I let it go, not matter how tempting the offer may be. Unfortunately, my value calculator seems to have a bias toward "BUY NOW!" Perhaps I need to borrow my wife's calculator. Geeked

Posts 2898
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 7:39 AM

Of course you were, and I took it that way.  I enjoyed your humor, too.

I was off subject for this thread, and should have not have posted. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 79
Theophilus | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 8:11 AM

First, let me say that I'm really thrilled by all this Logos March Madness buzz - the voting, the discounts, the great books, the forum chatter, the Twitter and Facebook alerts, and now, the T-Shirt! I think it has all the marks of a successful marketing campaign. Just look at this thread, with 11,000+ views and 200+ replies as I write this! And I'm really enjoying every bit of the good fun too!

But this week, we entered into Holy Week. Today, in preparing my heart for Good Friday, I watched "Passion of the Christ" on DVD again, to reflect on how our Lord suffered and died bearing our iniquities, and was painfully reminded of the extent of his love and sacrifice.

Then I found myself, shortly after that deeply spiritual transaction, checking in at the LMM website to see how the votes were going, and what good buys I might be able to grab. That was when I began to wonder, whether the timing of this exhilarating - almost indulgent perhaps - marketing campaign (which I underscore that I am so much enjoying), is congruent with the whole ethos of Lent, a period which most churches, especially mainline denominations, traditionally observe as a period of reflection, meditation, self-denial and even prayer and fasting.

I'm not trying to be legalistic or condescending here. Please forgive me if it sounds that way. Nor do I claim to have been totally self-denying, having taken up my cross daily to follow Him during this Lenten period, had it not been for LMM. Not at all. And sure, even if Logos didn't run LMM, there'd be hundreds of other exciting marketing campaigns (by secular companies or otherwise) that are seeking to grab my attention during this period too.

Rather, I'm just wondering if Logos deliberately timed LMM to coincide with Lent, and to culminate the competition on 5 April which is just after Easter Sunday. Did Logos - a Christian company - also weigh in the church calendar along with the business strategy in deciding to hold LMM in March/April? Would it have been equally successful, but perhaps more sensitively-timed, if it was August Audacity, Fabulous February, or September Supers?

Maybe this should be a blog post rather than a forum thread. Sorry. But I wonder if I'm the only one who feels this way.

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 8:27 AM

Theophilus, I appreciate the spirit of your post. I don't really think Logos is merely trying to sell books but rather is using the hoopla of the National Collegiate Athletic Association's end-of-the-year basketball tournament (aka "March Madness") as a fun way for Logos users to build their libraries at a discount. I've enjoyed the fun but don't really find the discounts on what I want appealing enough to buy because there are works I need worse that will be coming out in pre-pub soon. These are, after all, tools to be used to understand the Scriptures better and communicate truth better to others. Really, if we build our libraries to satisfy some carnal satisfaction in the number of resources owned, we have deep spiritual and practical issues to contend with, Lent or not.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 264
Michael G. Halpern | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 8:32 AM

Theophilus:

I know you aren't "the only one who feels this way," however, you may be one of the very few that thought about it.  I hadn't truly considered the timing issue so completely, but I'm sure glad that you did (and that you posted about it).  It is so easy to get carried away with our emotions, especially regarding "all things Christian" which I'm referring to Logos and all of our forum posts.  I appreciate your (and I'm not all that sure that the Lord isn't using you in this capacity) attempt to ground us and remind us of the real reason for this season.  I for one thank you...Michael

Posts 296
Jonathan West | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 8:48 AM

It is easy to get caught up in consumerism. But at the end of the day it is an individual's responsibility to decide what to purchase on the basis of whether they will use the resource.

So for example, is it really worth buying Lectures to my Students (even at 50 or 75% off) when you can get a free PDF download on the Internet?

Whereas, for a preacher, buying Marshall's commentary on the pastoral epistles in Logos (especially at 75% off) may well be a worthwhile purchase ...

www.emmanuelecc.org

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 9:59 AM

Bill Moore:
That's where I am, though I still want more than I can afford. Wink

Before everybody starts thinking I won the lottery & am buying everything Logos has to offer....

I would like to buy almost everything. I view Logos as more than a Bible study tool. It also serves as a homeschooling tool and a leisure tool (I don't golf or travel much.) I don't get a "book allowance" to fund my purchases. I tend to drive old vehicles on old tires. My wife works miracles with a shoestring grocery budget., But here is a powerful tool I use to leverage my meager book buying funds:

Give serious consideration to every buying opportunity that comes up:  Community Pricing, Pre-Pubs, all the Seasonal Specials the Marketing Department comes up with, especially sales on packages.I have been delighted many times to discover titles included in collections or bundles that I would never have considered on their own.

In old times, a preacher may have had to make a midnight escape in a basket, leaving his library behind. Today that preacher can take his library with him

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 12 of 13 (249 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > | RSS