How to Multiview Resources Off

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 29 2016 6:00 AM

I really like the Multiview Resources feature.  I use it sometimes but do not want to use it all the time.  I know how to turn it on, but I do not know how to turn it off.  That is, I have one of my Bibles set up with two commentaries.  I want to turn those off, so I click on the icon and un-check "Show multiple resources."  The resources disappear, I close the Bible, re-open it, and the resources are back.  How do I more permanently turn off the feature for that Bible?       

Thanks for your help.  

Posts 8948
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2016 6:15 AM

Let me take a guess at this. Could it be that you have multiple copies of the same resource open in other locations? If so Logos may be still using the settings from the other one. I ran into this before with other settings.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2016 6:39 AM

Bruce, thanks for the reply.  I have that Bible saved in a layout, so that might be the issue.  

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2016 6:42 AM

I had that problem, with the cause as Bruce mentioned.

I'm not sure the logic of the UI design. They have the rule that an instance of a resource gets opened with the same settings as earlier last use (or existing use if an earlier instance).

Then they have the nutty rule, if you have two instances, a change in one affects the other. I'm guessing their data flags are resource level; not sub-instance.

Finally, with Multiview, the setting is attached to the resource, so another nutty ergo, duplicate a Multiview ... complete with load time. 

The key with every (exagerating) Logos UI feature is a work-around ... in this case, use a second Bible you don't like.

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2016 6:44 AM

I deleted the layout with that Bible in it, and I can still not turn off the feature.  For now I will just use another Bible.  Thanks for the input so far.    

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2016 6:56 AM

It seems, as Denise said, if the last state of the resource included Multiview (for example, you had the ESV with Multiview in a saved layout), Multiview will persist the next time you open the resource. (So the next time you open the ESV it will be in Multiview.) If you then manually turn Multiview off, it will stay off, until it gets turned on again (for example, you again open the saved layout that includes the ESV in Multiview). This behavior is a bit annoying.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 2820
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2016 7:19 AM

Timothy Brown:

It seems, as Denise said, if the last state of the resource included Multiview (for example, you had the ESV with Multiview in a saved layout), Multiview will persist the next time you open the resource. (So the next time you open the ESV it will be in Multiview.) If you then manually turn Multiview off, it will stay off, until it gets turned on again (for example, you again open the saved layout that includes the ESV in Multiview). This behavior is a bit annoying.

It is more than a bit, and more than annoying...it destroys the practicality of saved layouts. I can't save one layout with my ESV alongside the NA27, then save it in another layout alongside a study bible. At least in my limited testing, whatever was set last is what a saved layout opens with, regardless of how it was saved.

Bummer. Great idea, poor execution.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2016 9:13 AM

I think I must not be understanding the problem.

If I have included a resource as part of a multi-view tab, I can remove it simply by clicking the multi-view icon and deselecting the resource.  If I have that same layout saved under two different layout names, I can remove the resource from the multi-view tab in one layout without it affecting the resource in the other layout.

I can also have multiple occurrences of the same resource open in the same layout, some as part of a multi-view tab and some as independent tabs, and open and close the resource as desired without any unexpected side affects.

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2016 10:21 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
If I have included a resource as part of a multi-view tab, I can remove it simply by clicking the multi-view icon and deselecting the resource.  If I have that same layout saved under two different layout names, I can remove the resource from the multi-view tab in one layout without it affecting the resource in the other layout.

That is what I would like to do, and think I should be able to do.  I click on the icon and de-select the commentary, it disappears, I close the Bible, re-open it, and the commentary is back.  I would like to more permanently remove the commentary.  I no longer want to see it every time I open that Bible.    

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2016 10:51 AM

Daniel Yoder:

Rick Ausdahl:

That is what I would like to do, and think I should be able to do.  I click on the icon and de-select the commentary, it disappears, I close the Bible, re-open it, and the commentary is back.  I would like to more permanently remove the commentary.  I no longer want to see it every time I open that Bible.    

Daniel, it sounds like my scenario might be a little different than yours in that I was referring to adding and removing the multi-view resources that I added to the initial resource in the tab, whereas it sounds like your problem has to do with the initial resource to which you tacked on the additional resources.  I'm not home to be able to play around with this at the moment, but when I get home tonight I'll see if I can play around more specifically with the scenario I think you described.  

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2016 11:36 AM

Rick Ausdahl:

Daniel Yoder:

Rick Ausdahl:

Daniel, it sounds like my scenario might be a little different than yours in that I was referring to adding and removing the multi-view resources that I added to the initial resource in the tab, whereas it sounds like your problem has to do with the initial resource to which you tacked on the additional resources.  I'm not home to be able to play around with this at the moment, but when I get home tonight I'll see if I can play around more specifically with the scenario I think you described.  

I am attempting to close the additional resources so that I can open the initial resource next time without seeing the additional resources.  I want to close the commentaries that are currently linked to my ESV Bible so that I do not see them next time.  I can manually turn them off each time I open the  Bible, but I would rather have them more permanently turned off.  

Posts 2085
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2016 12:06 PM

Daniel Yoder:

I am attempting to close the additional resources so that I can open the initial resource next time without seeing the additional resources.  I want to close the commentaries that are currently linked to my ESV Bible so that I do not see them next time.  I can manually turn them off each time I open the  Bible, but I would rather have them more permanently turned off.  

How are you opening the ESV Bible? Are you doing that from the Library panel, or from a shortcut, or some other method?

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2016 12:32 PM

I was opening it from the shortcut bar at the top of the screen.  I deleted the shortcut and now I can open it without the additional resources.  That was my issue.  I knew I was missing something.  Thanks for your help! 

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

Daniel Yoder:

How are you opening the ESV Bible? Are you doing that from the Library panel, or from a shortcut, or some other method?

Posts 2085
LogosEmployee

Daniel Yoder:

I was opening it from the shortcut bar at the top of the screen.  I deleted the shortcut and now I can open it without the additional resources.  That was my issue.  I knew I was missing something.  Thanks for your help! 

Shortcuts are saved along with the multi-resource view configuration you had when you made the shortcut.

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2016 1:59 PM

That is good to know.  It is a nice feature, and I glad to know more about how to use it.  I appreciate the help. 

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2016 3:34 PM

Daniel Yoder:

That is good to know.  It is a nice feature, and I glad to know more about how to use it.  I appreciate the help. 

Glad Andrew was able to get it sorted for you!  Smile

Posts 2820
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2016 8:32 AM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
Shortcuts are saved along with the multi-resource view configuration you had when you made the shortcut.

Are you saying I can save multiple shortcuts to the ESV, each with a different MRV configuration, and that's how they'll open?

Logically, layouts should work that way (but don't seem to with MRVs), but not SCs. But I think I'm hearing the opposite. Interesting.

If true, this is all the more reason for a more comprehensive SC icon menu.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2085
LogosEmployee

I just tested this to confirm. Shortcuts, Favorites, and Layouts all work in this way. They all save the multi-resource configuration and will apply that when the shortcut/favorite/layout is loaded.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS