Why is there No Dynamic Pricing for some products, particularly those by Zondervan?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 322
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 30 2016 4:07 PM

I am writing this to clarify certain concerns with the dynamic pricing on Logos.

I own the complete NIVAC commentaries, the Zondervan Bible Background Commentaries (OT and NT), as well as the New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis (5 vols.).

I was shocked when I see the price I would get for this:

https://www.logos.com/product/5656/zondervan-bible-reference-bundle

Ful price was offered to me despite the fact that I own 2/3 of the listed items.

This was the same with the other Zondervan packages or bundles on Logos.

I subsequently wrote Logos support concerning the following Zondervan product, keeping in mind that I already own the 5 volumes NIDOT in this package, and was offered full price:

https://www.logos.com/product/20167/new-international-dictionary-old-and-new-testament-theology

The following is the reply:

Dear Vincent Chia,

Thank you for your email.  I apologize that not all of our publishers partake in the dynamic pricing of their products for sale on our website.  It appears that the New International Dictionary: Old and New Testament Theology (9 vols.) is by Zondervan and is not showing as dynamically priced in our system.  To ensure that you are receiving the most competitive price that we have to offer, I suggest that you contact our Sales Department at sales@faithlife.com for further discussion on any discounts that may be available for you.  Please let us know if you need anything further.

Sincerely,

Carla Schermerhorn

Logos Support Department

Comment: Not mincing words, I think this policy of not offering dynamic pricing by certain publishers to customers is dishonest at best. This means that we have to pay twice (or more times) for similar products even though we already own the license to the particular Logos product by certain publishers.

Any advice from Logos concerning this? Should I write to sales if I want to purchase these Zondervan bundles? Or should I just avoid all the packages and bundles by certain publishers on Logos (in this case, Zondervan)?

Director

Elyon Family Clinic & Surgery Pte Ltd

Singapore

Posts 10116
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2016 4:16 PM

You're last phrase is the correct one. Zondervan refuses.

Vincent, you should have minced words. Dishonest?

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2016 4:47 PM

I agree that Zondervan's refusal to allow dynamic pricing is ridiculous. However, do realize that the full price is for those who do not own any of the resources in the bundle. Your price is detailed further down the page. This reflects that Zondervan does not routinely participate in FL driven discounting. But, as recently observed they do at times offer attractive discounts on select items.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2016 4:52 PM

Zondervan is not the only such publisher, only the most prominent. There are several publishers whose agreements with Faithlife are such that their content cannot be dynamically priced or otherwise discounted* outside of a publisher-driven or -approved sale event. Even so, that content is available in Logos, albeit with less convenient pricing; definitely a lesser of two evils.

*This also precludes the inclusion of those publishers' content in base packages or bundles with other publishers' content. Exceptions may exist, but I am not aware of any.

Posts 322
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2016 5:41 PM

@Beloved

My price is not detailed further down. When I add the bundle to my cart, it's full price.

Director

Singapore

Posts 322
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2016 5:43 PM

@Denise

When I attempt to purchase the Zondervan bundle, I am charged full price (as reflected in the cart prior to check out).

So is paying twice for similar products acceptable for you?

Director

Singapore

Posts 416
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2016 5:56 PM

Referring to the previous comments... Zondervan does not allow dynamic pricing!

Don't buy them now, wait till you see they putting up sales.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2016 6:07 PM

You do not get dynamic pricing with Harper Collins which means Zondervan products you will buy twice if you own some of the collection already. Sometimes you may even buy it a third time. That's publisher priority, some allow dynamic pricing and some don't. It does not sound right to me which is why the Zondervan bundles have been on my wish list for years and will continue to be. This has been the policy for the last 10 years. Faithlife tries to get us dynamic pricing but in the end it is the publisher that matters. Contact Harper Collins and complain. If we complain long enough maybe they will change position.

Posts 322
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2016 6:10 PM

@Matt Hamrick

Thanks for the information. I never knew that.

I am a loyal fan of Logos, have and will continue to invest loads in Logos, but do not understand why Harper Collins/Zondervan does this.

Director

Singapore

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2016 6:31 PM

Vincent Chia:

@Beloved

My price is not detailed further down. When I add the bundle to my cart, it's full price.

The price shown is what I refer to. As you can see I own the majority of the titles in this bundle. You must call sales to get this price, not add to cart. FWIW, I would most likely not be interested in every title in the bundle so I personally would "cherry pick" essentially buying each title separately. Such is the situation with Zondervan and all publishers who adhere to this practice.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 10116
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2016 7:10 PM

Vincent, I referred to your last phrase ... if you already own most of the bundle, then don't buy it. You answered your own question.

I'm still not sure how the publisher was dishonest with you. I'd suspect they may not know you.

Posts 2288
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2016 9:10 PM

Denise:
if you already own most of the bundle, then don't buy it.

Or try to sell the volumes you already have before you buy it.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 476
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 1 2016 2:21 AM

Assuming you bought those other Zondervan products direct from Logos, I believe if you talk to a sales representative, you can buy the bundle and return the products that you had already owned. I think I've done this before. They're willing to extend the return policy if you're just going to buy it again.

Posts 1393
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 1 2016 6:55 AM

elnwood:
buy the bundle and return the products that you had already owned.

Now that's a good work around

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 58
Anthony Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 1 2016 10:25 AM

Yeah, it's a bummer they don't offer dynamic pricing. They did offer it in September 2015 and it was the first time they ever did that. 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 1 2016 10:52 AM

James Taylor:

elnwood:
buy the bundle and return the products that you had already owned.

Now that's a good work around

I doubt you can do that. unless you are within the 30 day return window.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 1 2016 11:00 AM

Matthew C Jones:
I doubt you can do that. unless you are within the 30 day return window.

And why would you if you got the resource in question at a sale price?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS