Logos on eInk/eReader Device

Page 1 of 7 (130 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 129 Replies | 15 Followers

Posts 192
LogosEmployee
Daniel Di Bartolo (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 3 2016 5:14 PM

Hello, all. 

The Faithlife Mobile team wanted to share something with you that you might find interesting. We know that many of you have expressed interest in having Logos on your e-reader or e-Ink device. We think we've found a good option for those of you who prefer reading in that format-- the Icarus e-reader.

We made a quick video to show you some of the functionality-- take a look if you're interested. Lastly, here's a link to the device itself. 

Let us know what you think!

*Please note that we're not currently supporting this in a official capacity-- we're just trying to gauge general interest. 

Posts 27545
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 5:37 PM

Daniel Di Bartolo:
*Please note that we're not currently supporting this in a official capacity-- we're just trying to gauge general interest.

I don't understand what you are asking or saying. Since it is an android device, don't you "officially support" it? If not, why not? What do you mean "gauge general interest?" Are you thinking about selling it? 

Personally, I think my eInk paperwhite provides the best experience for simple reading. I would love to have the ability to create highlights and have them sync. Obviously on an eInk device, highlights would be a bit more difficult to distinguish between different highlighter styles... I would likely still use my iPad for studying or research reading

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 59
Eric Ruhnow | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 5:43 PM

Honestly, I would LOVE to have something like this. My eyesight is starting to have a LOT of problems with glossy screens, so I'm having a hard time locating a good portable option for my Logos library (especially since the Send to Kindle was taken away).

My one concern would be the limitations of Android 4.2 on the device. How long would the device's OS remain compatible with the Logos Android app's feature roadmap?

Lenovo TS130 Xeon E3-1245V2 | 20GB | 256 GB SSD (OS and Logos) | 3TB WD Red | Windows 10 Pro x64

L4 & L5 Platinum, L6 Gold, L5 Reformed Gold, L6 Reformed Bronze, L7 Lutheran Silver, L7 Reformed Starter, L7 Full Feature Set

Posts 8895
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 6:19 PM

alabama24:
I would love to have the ability to create highlights and have them sync. Obviously on an eInk device, highlights would be a bit more difficult to distinguish between different highlighter styles... I would likely still use my iPad for studying or research reading

This is what I have been waiting for. Until an e-ink device is able to have highlights and sync I'm personally not that interested.

I not holding my breath but I'm still dreaming on having the functionality of my iPad with e-ink.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2279
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 6:57 PM

Eric Ruhnow:
My one concern would be the limitations of Android 4.2 on the device. How long would the device's OS remain compatible with the Logos Android app's feature roadmap?

That's my big concern as well. I still have an Android 2.3 reader device from Onyx, so I'm stuck on an old version of the app.

I really don't mind about new app features, but what's most annoying is the fact, that new resources are no longer compatible with the old app version.

(Want Android 6.0 eInk reader...)

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 7:50 PM

alabama24:
Since it is an android device, don't you "officially support" it? If not, why not? What do you mean "gauge general interest?" Are you thinking about selling it?

Many E-Ink devices run Android but if our apps can't be installed on them from Google Play or Amazon, they are not supported (this device can install our apps from Google Play - one of the very few). Also, rooted Android devices, side loaded apps, outdated Android versions, etc. are not supported. Videos and Mobile Ed media are not supported (E-Ink device hardware is too slow to play them).

That said, I believe the intent here is to gauge whether or not it would be worth adding possible support (given enough interest) for certain things that might make the E-Ink experience a little better, like hardware navigation button support, better contrast, animation and progress indicator settings, etc. If there isn't enough interest it wouldn't be worth the time. And no, we're not selling them.

Posts 27545
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 3:49 AM

thanks Kevin

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 4:13 AM

Kevin Byford (Faithlife):
I believe the intent here is to gauge whether or not it would be worth adding possible support (given enough interest) for certain things that might make the E-Ink experience a little better, like hardware navigation button support, better contrast, animation and progress indicator settings, etc.

Thank you for looking into this.

A video is nice but it is not all that clear what is shown through it. It looks like a normal mobile app, but with perhaps better contrast? If there are certain specific things we are supposed to notice, it would be good to point them out more specifically. Also, it should be kept in mind that a video of a device display is never as crisp as the device itself. So it is difficult to see how nicely text and icons are display (knowing that all along the issue has been one of contrast, sharpness, and translating colour-dependent elements into a workable e-ink alternative). 

I assume also that while the Icarus has the advantage of allowing installation, the e-ink version (if one is indeed developed and supported) would work on any e-ink android device on which the apk can be installed?

Posts 27545
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 4:27 AM

Francis:
A video is nice but it is not all that clear what is shown through it. It looks like a normal mobile app, but with perhaps better contrast?

I assume it is simply the stock android app. I think what they are "showing" is simply the device running the current mobile app. 

Posts 329
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 8:40 AM

Trying to follow the conversation and seeing "(this device can install our apps from Google Play - one of the very few)"... is there a fairly new e-ink device I could buy, say at Amazon, that does have Google Play and I can install the latest Android version of Logos? 

Posts 80
EX | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 8:53 AM

I am also following this discussion.

PCA Church
L4 Platinum, L5 Reformed Platinum, L6 Reformed Diamond, Reformed Studies XL, Platinum, Logos Now

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 9:17 AM

I am interested in this discussion, but want to refrain from buying a device until I know that the Logos app will be supported for it.  

Another idea would be to make a webpage like "app.logos.com" that e-readers (like the Paperwhite with its experimental browser) could actually use.  It wouldn't need to have the full functionality of Biblia, but something where a person could access his library, highlight and make brief notes.  I think this is all a person would want to do on an e-reader.

The only problem with the webpage idea is that people outside of a wifi area would have to tether their devices to their phones to make it useable. 

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 10:10 AM

Daniel Di Bartolo:

we're just trying to gauge general interest. 

Yep, I'm interested.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 615
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 11:07 AM

The hardware looks sluggish - bring back Send to Kindle!

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 1:04 PM

Stephen Steele:

Amen!!

Posts 1934
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 1:39 PM

Brother Mark:

Daniel Di Bartolo:

we're just trying to gauge general interest. 

Yep, I'm interested.

Yes I am interested.  For now, the only hope I have is to get a surface pro 5 which will give full function ability.  And I save my eyes by dimming the screen and using new technology that make reading easier.

Posts 556
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 3:20 PM

I would prefer to bring back the send to kindle feature. That Feature had a great influence on my purchase of the kindle paper white. 

Posts 329
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 3:48 PM

Yes... I terribly miss the "Send to Kindle" feature.  My guess is the reason lies with Amazon, not Faithlife.   

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 4:53 PM

Stephen Steele:

It is unfortunate that Amazon discontinued Send to Kindle (see http://goodereader.com/blog/e-book-news/amazon-disables-send-to-kindle-on-rival-bookstores , http://shop.oreilly.com/category/customer-service/kindle.do , and http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/06/15/baen-books-reveals-amazons-byzantine-policies-on-kindle-email-delivery/ ). 

This thread isn't about Send to Kindle but about running the full Logos App on an E-Ink device, and whether or not there is enough customer interest for us to potentially improve the experience. Please help us keep this thread on topic.

Please post any Send to Kindle issues to https://community.logos.com/forums/t/123765.aspx .

Posts 1934
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 4:59 PM

Kevin Byford (Faithlife):
This thread isn't about Send to Kindle but about running the full Logos App on an E-Ink device, and whether or not there is enough customer interest for us to potentially improve the experience.

I would think there is a better way to measure whether there is enough interest in improving the  Logos App on an E ink device than going to a forum thread.  Why not send your user base an email with a link to a basic, brief survey that measures whether there is interest or not?

Page 1 of 7 (130 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS