Passage Guide Links

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 838
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 6 2016 5:20 AM

Is there any way to control where the links in the Passage Guide show up? Currently, every link opens a new window. it doesn't take long to open a ton of windows. I would like them to replace each other in a single window. Using the right keyboard arrow doesn't work well either. It doesn't cycle through the same books and gets confused with where your source location is after you scroll.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 28223
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2016 4:13 PM

Dewayne Davis:
every link opens a new window.

First allow me to reword your question a bit - a window contains tiles; a resource opens a panel/tab in a tile. Nonetheless, I cannot recreate your problem. An already open resource is not opened in another panel but uses the existing one. A new resource opens a new panel within a tile.

Is there some specific Passage Guide section that you've seen the problem in?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 838
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2016 5:06 AM

Ok. I will expound a bit. The passage guide is a tab inside a tile, correct? When I click on a commentary link in the passage guide, it opens that resource in a new tab in an opposite tile. As I click on more commentary links in that passage guide, it opens new tabs in the same opposite tile. I would like to see it replace the tabs as opposed to opening new ones, similar to the keyboard right arrow that cycles through the commentaries. I have tried using the "Send Hyperlinks Here" option. But it does not work.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 13385
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2016 6:17 AM

A quick note on vocabulary for the desktop:

• A TILE is a rectangular portion of the application’s available viewing space in which resources/guides/tools may be displayed. Tiles never overlap, so if you are seeing four texts at once, you have four tiles in your layout.
  • A PANEL shows a single resource, tool, or guide. A panel normally breaks down into a TAB STRIP, a TOOLBAR, and main VIEW AREA
  • A TAB is the physical part of a resource panel that sticks up so you can switch between panels that are in the same tile (although most users use TAB and PANEL interchangeably).
  • A PANE is a subservient part of a panel that displays data, controls, or divides content within a panel. So the table of contents in a resource panel is the CONTENTS PANE, never “contents panel.” When a pane is just one line high, we usually call it a BAR, so we say that the “Locator Bar” sometimes appears at the top of the resource view area. 
Posts 13385
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2016 6:19 AM

But the bottom line is that clicking on links from a Passage Guide will always open commentaries in a new panel. There's nothing you can do to change this.

If you don't like this behaviour, I would suggestion opening the first commentary from the Passage Guide, and subsequent commentaries from the Parallel Resource Menu. And once you've selected the correct collection from the Parallel Resource Menu, you can then use left/right arrows to change resources.

Posts 2892
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2016 6:22 AM

Dewayne Davis:
I would like to see it replace the tabs as opposed to opening new ones

This is the exact opposite of the behavior I want, so if it were to happen, I would hope it would be user-defined.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2016 6:25 AM

I suspect a lot of us also value the way that we can have multiple commentaries open, allowing us to switch between them, so I certainly wouldn't want this behaviour changed - it would mean having to remember which commentary something was in and reopening it, or making notes on things I might or might not want to come back to. There might be a case for having an option to have the behaviour suggested, but I certainly wouldn't want it to be the default. It probably depends on whether you're the sort of person who would have a pile of books open on their desk, or just one at a time! I'm the former. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 838
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2016 9:19 AM

I figured out why my right arrow isn't working as expected.The Passage Guide show hits for all of what I would consider "commentaries". But parallel resources seem to be limited to single "Types" When I click a link to ESB Study Bible in the Passage Guide, the right arrow is limited to the "Bible Notes" type and do not include the "Bible Commentary" type. Similarly when I click on the Bible Knowledge Commentary in the Passage Guide, the opposite is true. The work around I found was to create a new collection including both types. Now I can select that new collection in my parallel resources and it picks up everything. I much prefer using the right arrow rather than the Passage Guide.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS