Limited or truncated searches

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 20
David Christensen | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 6 2016 7:31 AM

Dear Logos dev-team,

I realize that there is probably a more efficient way to accomplish this, but I attempted to do an expanded morphology search for lemmas related to knowing, thinking, and understanding within 1 Corinthians (search string in quotes: "lemma:ἀγνοέω OR lemma:νοέω OR lemma:μετανοέω OR lemma:γινώσκω OR lemma:γνῶσις OR lemma:γνωρίζω OR lemma:λόγιος OR lemma:λογικός OR lemma:οἶδα OR lemma:νοῦς OR lemma:συνείδησις OR lemma:σύνεσις OR lemma:φρόνημα OR lemma: lemma:δοκέω OR lemma:ἡγέομαι OR lemma:καταμανθάνω OR lemma:λογίζομαι OR lemma:μελετάω OR lemma:νομίζω OR lemma:φρονέω OR lemma:μωρία OR lemma:ἄφρων OR lemma:κενός OR lemma:ῥακά OR lemma:σοφία OR root:σοφος OR lemma:σοφίζω").

However, Logos only gave me seven verses with hits. I, myself knowing that there are 10 separate occurences of "οὐκ οἰδατέ" alone withing the epistle, heavily doubted the results since "lemma:οἶδα" was one of many terms I searched... So, I reduced the number of terms with a new search string ("lemma:ἀγνοέω OR lemma:νοέω OR lemma:μετανοέω OR lemma:γινώσκω OR lemma:γνῶσις OR lemma:γνωρίζω OR lemma:οἶδα"), and voila, I have 48 unique verses with these terms. 

Therefore, it appears the Logos morphology search truncates the search string or limited the number of "OR" terms which one can include. I can run smaller searches...I was just trying to save myself some time. Please let me know if you'd like me to test anything regarding this.

Here's the original search string exported for Logos Wiki: Link.

Sincerely,

-David

Posts 20
David Christensen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2016 7:39 AM

I realize there was an extra "lemma:" in the string prior to δοκέω; however, after correcting this, I still have the issue (only 9 results now)..

lemma:ἀγνοέω OR lemma:νοέω OR lemma:μετανοέω OR lemma:γινώσκω OR lemma:γνῶσις OR lemma:γνωρίζω OR lemma:οἶδα lemma:λόγιος OR lemma:λογικός OR lemma:νοῦς OR lemma:συνείδησις OR lemma:σύνεσις OR lemma:φρόνημα OR lemma:δοκέω OR lemma:ἡγέομαι OR lemma:καταμανθάνω OR lemma:λογίζομαι OR lemma:μελετάω OR lemma:νομίζω OR lemma:φρονέω OR lemma:μωρία OR lemma:ἄφρων OR lemma:κενός OR lemma:ῥακά OR lemma:σοφία OR root:σοφος OR lemma:σοφίζω

Posts 24549
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2016 8:03 AM

It was suggested in 2009 that there was a limit of 200 characters in a search string - https://community.logos.com/forums/p/7142/56972.aspx#56972 - I wonder if that is still the case?

Posts 2601
LogosEmployee

David Christensen:

I realize there was an extra "lemma:" in the string prior to δοκέω; however, after correcting this, I still have the issue (only 9 results now)..

lemma:ἀγνοέω OR lemma:νοέω OR lemma:μετανοέω OR lemma:γινώσκω OR lemma:γνῶσις OR lemma:γνωρίζω OR lemma:οἶδα lemma:λόγιος OR lemma:λογικός OR lemma:νοῦς OR lemma:συνείδησις OR lemma:σύνεσις OR lemma:φρόνημα OR lemma:δοκέω OR lemma:ἡγέομαι OR lemma:καταμανθάνω OR lemma:λογίζομαι OR lemma:μελετάω OR lemma:νομίζω OR lemma:φρονέω OR lemma:μωρία OR lemma:ἄφρων OR lemma:κενός OR lemma:ῥακά OR lemma:σοφία OR root:σοφος OR lemma:σοφίζω

You are missing an OR in between two of your lemmas (right after οἶδα). This turns it into a search like (lemmas) AND (lemmas), which would explain the few results.

Posts 570
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2016 11:32 AM

You could search for Louw Nida numbers, something like this: <LN 28> OR <LN 30> OR <LN 32>

LN 28: Know
LN 30: Think
LN 32: Understand

You might likely want to narrow the senses further down. But I'll let you figure that out.

There might be Sense search similar to this as well.

Posts 20
David Christensen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2016 5:24 PM

Andrew,

Thank you for finding that! I am sorry that I didn't look at my search closer before bothering everyone. Placing an "OR" in the location you noted gives me the correct results (which I got by creating four smaller searches).

Thank you to the others who suggested alternatives like Louw Nida and Bible Sense. I do plan to investigate those as well.

With joy,

-David

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2016 8:25 AM

Schumitinu:
You could search for Louw Nida numbers, something like this: <LN 28> OR <LN 30> OR <LN 32>

Louw Nida finds words while Preaching Theme finds verses:

{Section <PreachingTheme = Wisdom>}

Noted verse results are a bit different.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS