Embarrassing question - Judah and Israel

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3508
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 7:15 PM

never realized I had a resource titled biblical places maps by logos. It doesn't show under my interactives. Should it?

Posts 28229
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 7:22 PM

Mattillo:
Should it?

No it is not an interactive. You should have a dataset Biblical places that supports Factbook (among other things).

As for this, it is not in my library.

Mattillo:
resource titled biblical places maps

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3508
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 9:06 PM

Interesting. Thanks MJ. Joshin posted a picture of it earlier. 

I wonder where I got it from.

Posts 1616
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 9:10 PM

JoshInRI:
Were Judah and Israel ever one and how much impact through how many years did they have upon one another?

Yes. They certainly were united during the reign of King David and his son, Solomon. And their was some union of the North and South under their predecessor, King Saul, although for a time David was a rival king. Before that any national unity seems to be whoever recognized a particular charismatic Judge and showed up when they called. And of course, there was the time of the Exodus...

I would strongly recommend a read through of Genesis, Joshua, Judges, 1/2 Samuel, and 1/2 Kings, looking up the various place names as you go along. Back in school, when I did this, it was with the Oxford Bible Atlas (as an undergrad) and the Macmillan Bible Atlas (now Carta) in Grad school. Logos has a Biblical Places tool that should give this info too...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Orthodox Silver, Lutheran Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 28229
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 9:23 PM

Mattillo:
I wonder where I got it from.

Doing a search on maps I found it Embarrassed... no biographic information which is very odd ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 9:24 PM

Ken McGuire:

I would strongly recommend a read through of Genesis, Joshua, Judges, 1/2 Samuel, and 1/2 Kings, looking up the various place names as you go along. 

The best way to learn the Bible is to read it (and read and read . . .)

Posts 98
JJ Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 10:12 PM

JoshInRI:
I am just dumbfounded by how poor my understanding of Biblical geography is...

No one...no matter how smart or how spiritual, gains such knowledge easily.  As others have said, reading and re-reading the historical books in the OT will go far.  Bible Atlases give some needed help.  And I agree, Kingdom of Priests (book) is a good way to begin to understand.  

I still remember how remarkable it was when I learned this historical overview.... and how: 

I had been a Christian all of a year or two...and I took a course at my University called "Old Testament Introduction".   Raised an atheist, I hadn't heard the OT stories as a child.  And by the end of that course, I could "think" my way through the main stories of the Bible.  Even though I had been a church goer for two years where the church "preached the Bible" for 40 minutes each week, I had no clue that Israel and Judah were two separate entities... how that happened, why that happened, what happened because of it.  And in rather short order, I could now "think my way through the Biblical story". It was an enlightenment... but it paid off big when I now read my NT in a new light.  

Thanks for posting this... it is a reminder that we often need to communicate the simple stuff... the stuff we think we all should know (simply because we do), while forgetting what it took for us to see these things in our own journey.  

God's richest blessings, 

JJ

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 18 2016 5:55 AM

Hello Josh:

I hope you don't mind a "non-logos" suggestion.

Whenever I study Scripture, I print out a map or two of the region (usually Israel and the middle-east area) .  Print out ones with not too much information on it though, just major regions and cities.  Then, when I am reading, and I come across a geographic reference, I go to the map and find it on the map.  Then, I number it (the number depending on what number reference it is in my reading) and then over to the side, I write what the reference number relates to in my reading.

For instance, I'm currently studying the Gospel of John.

I printed out a map of Israel..

Chapter 1 takes place in Jerusalem, so I put a number 1 at Jerusalem and then over to the side, I put

1. Jerusalem (Ch. 1)

Then, Jesus comes to John the Baptist "in Bethany, on the other side of the Jordan."  So, I put a number two at Bethany and write on the side of my map under my number 1

2. Bethany - Jesus comes to John the Baptist (1.28)

He also called Andrew and Peter from there so I added...

2. Bethany - Jesus Comes to John the Baptist (1:28) and Calls Andrew and Peter (1:38)

Later, I read in Chapter One that Jesus goes to the region of Galilee and calls Philip and Nathaniel so I put a number three up in the Galilee region and write on the side of my map...

3. Galilee - Jesus calls Philip and Nathaniel to follow Him (1:43)

Chapter 2 tells me He went to Cana for a wedding, so I put a number 4 near Cana and write on the side of my map

4. Cana - Jesus attends Wedding (First Sign). (2:1)

The reason I don't draw lines is because they get too confusing to follow, but do what works for you.

There are a few reasons this works better than just looking at a map.

First you are actively searching for geographical locations, and you mark your text, thus interacting with it.

Then, you go to your map and "hunt" for the location (although once you do this a couple of times, the locations become easy to find).

Then, you number the region and write down what happened at that region, again, interacting with it.

By writing down what occurred there, you will find you remember the region even better, as "the pencil is the best of eyes."

As a Bible study teacher, and one who writes inductive studies, I have found that my students LOVE doing this and discover so much more than just looking at a map in the back of their Bibles or online...or in this case, on Logos.

Now the reason I don't print out a map with ALL the cities, etc., is that if I do, it becomes too easy after a while.  So, I print out a simplified version, and then if there is something I cannot find...I go to a Bible atlas or Logos for a little bit of "research" and write the city or mountain or whatever  in the location on my map, thus re-enforcing my learning even more.

I hope this makes sense.  If not, I'll scan my map I'm working on now with John and upload it as an example.

Blessings as you embark on this journey.  I LOVE studying Scripture this way.  I pray you come to experience the joy and sheer fun of learning biblical geography.

BTW...Rick Griffith at biblestudydownloads.org has a fantastic free pdf file on learning biblical geography.  See here.  http://biblestudydownloads.org/resource/bible-geography/

The PDF document is like the study/manual, (the DOC is the same material but is graphic heavy and takes a while to load).  BUT...don't miss out on his FANTASTIC Power Points that go with it.  They are filled with graphics, maps, pictures, explanations, etc.  ENJOY!

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 1700
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 22 2016 4:26 PM

JJ and Cynthia (and the thousands who read my original post and those who responded)

Thanks for your excellent ideas, suggestions, document links, urls, and testimony.

Glory to God...Jesus Lead On!

Posts 623
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 22 2016 8:29 PM

A GREAT resource for learning the land of Israel and the Bible is this:

http://www.bibleplaces.com/

Many Logos packages have photos from this source, but the entire set is incredible. That and an atlas is all you need to learn geography.

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS