Dust Bowl Preachers

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 8 2016 8:11 PM

I watched an excellent documentary on The Dust Bowl on my Amazon Prime Video recently.

The whole time I wondered what did preachers say and do to keep people going during the decade long weather and huge storms that threatened so many so often and for so long?

Do you know of any dust bowl preachers mentioned in Logos?  Wouldn't that be a fascinating book?  I was surprised that the documentary stated a passage from Ezekiel was posted in the local paper in one town when things were the most challenging.  Tough book, tough passage too.

Any thoughts, comments, or Logos book ideas for followup?

Posts 2775
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 8 2016 8:25 PM

JoshInRI:
Do you know of any dust bowl preachers mentioned in Logos?

Two resources come to mind (real-life ones, not in Logos): The Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum at West Texas A&M University in Canyon, TX (call and ask for resources) and a two- or three-volume set of books about the area called God, Grass, and Grit (various authors). I remember seeing these volumes many years ago where I grew up (smack in the middle of the Dust Bowl area) and there were a lot of personal anecdotes in them, and much was faith-related. An Amazon search might turn up a copy.

You have an interesting idea. I knew a good number of Dust Bowl survivors when I was young and remember them telling all kinds of stories of those days. My dad was born in Boise City, OK (the geographic dead center of the Dust Bowl) in 1932. He was a small child in those days, but still had some hairy stories about the times.

If you strike gold, be sure to post here and let us know.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 8 2016 8:26 PM

Thanks Doc - Either of those books would make an excellent Vyrso or Logos book I think.  Of immense practical usage too.

Posts 277
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 6:44 AM

Hi Josh,

Did you go to the  Logos home page and type 1930's in the product box?

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 1:36 PM

...I did not Lonnie....shall try that later though.  Thanks.  I hoped someone from the dust bowl regions might have some resources or know of some in Logos.  What a resource that would be, huh?

--addendum--

I did not find anything...search was fruitless.  Finding a pastor and a record of his sermons from the era or location would sure be a gem.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 4:01 PM

Doc B:
If you strike gold, be sure to post here and let us know.

I am also interested in Logos resources covering the Dust Bowl preachers.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 9:37 AM

I wonder if someone in the Dust Bowl area may research their church history and see if they can recommend any writings or get some published for us.  Having a historical record of people's Christian faith during the depression in such a ravaged area and of what and how precisely the pastors in the region coped and inspired/encouraged/engaged others would be wonderfully invaluable I think.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS