Almost there!: Roman Historians

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 9 2016 2:23 PM

I am hoping for a push for the Roman Historians Collection (22 vols.).  There is no current way to get the English translations of Tacitus in Logos.  The Latin texts are available in the Perseus editions, but there are no English translations.  I searched briefly for the other authors in this collection, and they seem to be in a similar situation.  This fills a necessary void for these texts in Logos, and $33 for the whole set seems more than fair.  It can't be that far from going over!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 2:34 PM

In for $33

Posts 9008
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 2:47 PM

Robert Harner:

In for $33

Me too.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 6552
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 4:02 PM

Cheaper than this too: https://www.logos.com/product/44916/bloomsbury-academic-tacitus-collection

I cannot believe we haven't had Tacitus in a base package yet.

DAL

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 6:12 PM

DAL:

Cheaper than this too: https://www.logos.com/product/44916/bloomsbury-academic-tacitus-collection

DAL

I would get that one, but it is only in Latin.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 6552
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 6:38 PM

Joseph Turner:

DAL:

DAL

I would get that one, but it is only in Latin.

What do you mean? The sample pages are in English for the Bloomsbury one and the CP one too.

DAL

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 8:42 PM

In the Bloomsbury set, the biography and commentary are in English, but the Tacitus texts are Latin only.  Where did you see samples of the Bloomsbury?

Posts 2363
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 9:03 PM

Tacitus Histories and Annals are already in the Great Books of the Western World, and the Latin texts are in Perseus. Sallust is also in Perseus, both Latin and English translation - as are parts of Ammianus Marcellinus.

The remaining works are not worth $33 to me, but I've placed a nominal bid of $6. Stick out tongue

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 3691
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 10:53 PM

For anyone doing research in Biblical Studies, the Loeb editions are always good to have, especially at this kind of price. "Great Books of the Western World" is good for reading, but not to reference in publications or papers. Perseus is really good to have but often the text is not as well formatted and versified. Faithlife does not really maintain it either as far as I understand (it was a bulk, take it as it is, feed).

Many books come and go, but primary sources remain. I added my bid.

Posts 6552
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 3:13 AM
Joseph Turner:

In the Bloomsbury set, the biography and commentary are in English, but the Tacitus texts are Latin only.  Where did you see samples of the Bloomsbury?

Joseph Turner:

You can see Bloomsbury samples in the product page link I posted, just scroll down and you'll see samples and they're all in English. DAL
Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 3:59 AM

DAL:
Joseph Turner:

Joseph Turner:

You can see Bloomsbury samples in the product page link I posted, just scroll down and you'll see samples and they're all in English. DAL

That's strange.  I don't see sample pages at https://www.logos.com/product/44916/bloomsbury-academic-tacitus-collection anywhere.  If they do have English translations, then I will gladly by those, but the Bloomsbury website also seems to indicate that the actual Tacitus texts are only in Latin, as do the individual sections on Logos for each volume, with each series title being "Latin Texts."

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 4:06 AM

I would also add that Tacitus is one of the few sources we have which references the Parthians.

Posts 205
Oldnewbie | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 4:29 AM

I'm in!  Thanks for giving this a push.

Posts 6552
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 6:02 AM
Joseph Turner:

JT scroll down to each book and you will see sample pages 1, 2, 3, etc. See attached pic (it won't let me post the picture below).
Posts 986
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 6:17 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Robert Harner:

In for $33

Me too.

Me Three

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 7:08 AM

DAL:
Joseph Turner:

JT scroll down to each book and you will see sample pages 1, 2, 3, etc. See attached pic (it won't let me post the picture below).

Ah!  It requires attention and intelligence to see it.  That explains why I missed it!  

Note however that only the introductions and commentaries are in English.  The actual texts from Tacitus are in Latin.  

Posts 6552
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 7:17 AM

Aaaaaaaaaah I see it now! 😏

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 11 2016 3:12 AM

This is so close!

Posts 258
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 6:54 AM

"This collection contains the complete texts in their Loeb Classical Library editions. Each text is included in its original Latin, with an English translation for side-by-side comparison."

This line in the description would certainly make me think that there is Latin and English for all the texts...if not, this should be reworded.

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 8:14 AM

danwdoo:

"This collection contains the complete texts in their Loeb Classical Library editions. Each text is included in its original Latin, with an English translation for side-by-side comparison."

This line in the description would certainly make me think that there is Latin and English for all the texts...if not, this should be reworded.

The texts in the Roman Historians collection in the OP (Loeb) definitely include both Latin and English.  The one that is Latin only is the Bloomsbury edition of Tacitus which DAL posted above.  

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS