The Best Deal Ever! Faithlife is sending prices through the floor...

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 39 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 12 2016 2:13 PM

The Bottom Line: Your church should subscribe to 

https://churchdeal.faithlifesites.com

This is the best deal we have ever offered.

And if enough churches take this deal, we'll be able to offer more deals in the future.

The Background Story

Yes, it's bold of me to tell you what to do. But this is an incredible deal. This is a crazy-good deal. This may be the greatest value in biblical education ever offered. Really.

It's less than $1,000 / year for more than 7,000 segments of seminary-level biblical education, for an entire church (up to 199 people, at this price). Slice it any way you want, and it's amazing:

The average church in north America is around 100 people. $1,000 / 100 = $10 / yr = < $1 / month / person. Plus we throw in Faithlife TV Plus, with faith-friendly content for the whole family.

Don't like some of the courses? Make a list of the ones you do like that are appropriate for your church, and put links on a web page, or in an email to your congregation. If you only like 10% of the courses this is still a killer deal -- and there are more than 100 courses!

You wish we had the deal for individuals? Subscribe yourself on your church's behalf. At this price it's a great deal for one person, and only more amazing a deal with each additional person at your church who uses it.

Why? Business is a math problem. We need to price things low enough to get people to buy and high enough to cover costs and make a profit. There's an invisible price-demand curve for every product: at a lower price you make more sales, but less on each sale, and at a higher price you make more on each sale but sell fewer units. It is very hard to find the sweet spot where you maximize revenue.

At Faithlife we're not trying to maximize revenue, though. We're trying to maximize our service to the Church. We want to serve more people with Bible study tools, while making enough money to stay in business, pay our bills, and continue to grow, so we can serve even more people in the future.

Logos Mobile Ed is one of the few product lines we have that is large, built in-house, and not constrained by a licensing contract with a third-party publisher. It's the product we can try a crazy experiment with, and this is that experiment:

We spend millions to create Logos Mobile Ed. It has a limited audience, and it takes time and money to market to that audience. So we have to charge hundreds, sometimes, for one course, so that the small number of people who choose that specific course can cover the production costs. We've tried using Community Pricing in a few experiments to get per-course cost down (we got one to $43!), but we still have a problem in that not everyone would choose that course, and even at $43 not everyone would take each of the 100+ courses. (It would still be $4,300 for 100 courses...)

But if we could get hundreds... thousands... of churches to sign up, the incremental cost of delivering the video to the congregants (without the book licenses, tech support of installing Logos, etc.) would let us lower the cost dramatically. So low, that we could hopefully make the deal irresistible... And it needs to be, because the math doesn't work with dozens of churches. It only pencils out with a thousand... but if we got a thousand churches to understand this kind of deal, we could offer even better deals, and attract even more churches...

If you Google "Blue Water Line lyrics" you'll get a 1960s folk song with a crazy, hopeless idea. (If you take off 'lyrics' you'll get a recording of the Brothers Four singing it, and you'll have it stuck in your head all day...you've been warned.)

"If you can't afford a quarter, then you ought to give a dime. If everybody gave, then we could save... the Blue Water Line!"

My long-term goal for Faithlife is that we can serve the Church with a never-ending progression of 'more for less.' If 100 million Christians in the US gave 25 cents a month for Bible study tools (and those who couldn't gave a dime!) we'd have $300 million in annual revenue. We could deliver a lot of value to the whole Church with a $300 million budget!

We just need to find a way to get 100 million people signed up all at once... :-)

But in the meantime, we keep taking steps in that direction. Our Community Pricing system is an example of exposing this crazy pricing logic directly to our customers, letting you get a lower price when more people participate.

And the new Logos Mobile Ed + Faithlife TV Plus bundle we're trying this month at https://churchdeal.faithlifesites.com/ is the next step.

This is a crazy-good deal.

This puts our incredible Mobile Education program, and hundreds of hours of video for the whole family, into the hands of a congregation for less than a dollar a month per person.

I hope you agree that this is an incredible value, and that you will convince your church to subscribe. We will continue to push forward toward more win-win deals: Faithlife gets to grow while delivering more and more for less and less to the Church.

If everybody gave a quarter...

Posts 8952
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 2:28 PM

This is definitely worth considering. I've already emailed our pastor to share the link. Thanks for making this available for churches.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 2:45 PM

Bob Pritchett:
If everybody gave a quarter...

I'd give $43 for each course I haven't bought yet. And I'll take all of them.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 2:47 PM

I do like this, but the timing is unfortunate. Churches usually (mostly?) have budgets and those of us under 199 in attendance don't have a lot of extra play in the budget (can't speak for the others), esp. after 9 months have already passed in a budget year.

Doubly unfortunate is the fact that our 2017 budget has already been finalized.

On another track, I would love to give this a test run (after Christmas) just to see how many would avail themselves of it. Any chance of a one or two month sample deal to test the waters?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1394
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 2:50 PM

Our church would probably do this in a hot minute if there was monthly billing instead of annual. That's going to be significantly harder to get Pastor to jump for especially without a trial month

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 2:58 PM

Bob Pritchett:
You wish we had the deal for individuals? Subscribe yourself on your church's behalf. At this price it's a great deal for one person, and only more amazing a deal with each additional person at your church who uses it.

Does this mean that one person can sign up for the church price? The page says, "Exclusive membership for legally recognized churches only." Does an individual satisfy that requirement?   

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 3:08 PM

Daniel Yoder:
Does this mean that one person can sign up for the church price?

The deal is for a church. The purchase doesn't have to be done by the church; you can purchase on its behalf. But the idea is that it's licensed to a single, real church -- you can't subscribe on your own and invite random friends (or everyone on the Internet!) to 'join your church'. Otherwise we'd only get one subscriber. :-)

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 3:12 PM

Thanks for the clarification.  

Posts 494
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 3:28 PM

I'm part of a larger church (1500 member+), but I was wondering if we could sign up for a smaller number of "licenses" (unsure of the vocabulary, maybe distribution capacity?) and instead of sharing it with our entire congregation only a smaller number of members that are part of our leadership, teaching ministries, staffing, etc. would take part in this.  Or is this just for a full and complete congregational distribution?  I don't mean to add a million different options to a simple deal.  Just trying to clarify.

One of my concerns would be to jump in at such a great deal, and then the following year have to cancel if the price jump to the "regular" price was unsustainable. 

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 236
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 3:33 PM

I am a Logos user, but haven't tried Mobile Ed courses yet.  My question is simple.  Do the members of the subscribing church have to be Logos users to use Mobile Ed courses?  I may be the only Logos user in our church but believe many would enjoy online-type courses.

-john

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 3:58 PM

John C Connell Jr.:
Do the members of the subscribing church have to be Logos users to use Mobile Ed courses?  I may be the only Logos user in our church but believe many would enjoy online-type courses.

It seems like the courses are available for non-Logos users, as I understand it.  Official confirmation would be helpful.    

Posts 50
LogosEmployee
John Schwandt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 5:12 PM

John C Connell Jr.:

Do the members of the subscribing church have to be Logos users to use Mobile Ed courses?

No. The video content can be accessed any number of ways.  You can view it through a device such as Roku or Apple TV or even a simple web browser through FaithlifeTV.com.  Of course, the videos will also play within Logos as well.

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 5:42 PM

John Schwandt:

John C Connell Jr.:

Do the members of the subscribing church have to be Logos users to use Mobile Ed courses?

No. The video content can be accessed any number of ways.  You can view it through a device such as Roku or Apple TV or even a simple web browser through FaithlifeTV.com.  Of course, the videos will also play within Logos as well.

I think it's an awesome idea and would like to present it the pastoral staff at my church.  But before doing that, I'd like a better understanding of things like:

• Who among those attending the church would be eligible to view the courses?  Only official members?  Regular attenders even if not members?  Semi-regular attenders?  Visitors?
  • What would those who are eligible have to do to view the courses?
  • What would the church staff have to do to ensure courses were only viewed by those who are eligible?

Again, I think it's a great idea and like to imagine it might mean lower prices for those of us who would still like to purchase courses.  Just need more info before approaching pastoral staff. 

Posts 50
LogosEmployee
John Schwandt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 5:47 PM

Richard Villanueva:

I'm part of a larger church (1500 member+), but I was wondering if we could sign up for a smaller number of "licenses" (unsure of the vocabulary, maybe distribution capacity?) and instead of sharing it with our entire congregation only a smaller number of members that are part of our leadership, teaching ministries, staffing, etc. would take part in this.  Or is this just for a full and complete congregational distribution?  I don't mean to add a million different options to a simple deal.  Just trying to clarify.

Thanks for the question.  The short answer is no.  We want to build products that serve the entire churches.  That is one of the reasons why we are offering Mobile Ed and Faithlife TV+ together in this deal.  This offer is a huge step forward in this direction and we are looking forward to providing more benefits to every member of the congregation as we continue to grow.  We also want to keep things as simple as possible when it comes to sizing.  So we are simply looking for average weekly attendance.  This deal isn't available for a portion of a large church.  However, the larger the church, the better the value per person.  For the cost of sending just a few people to an out of town conference or training event, even the largest churches can secure all of this content (more than a year's worth of conferences) for everyone for the whole year.

Richard Villanueva:

One of my concerns would be to jump in at such a great deal, and then the following year have to cancel if the price jump to the "regular" price was unsustainable. 

Pardon my repetition from another post, but I think it is helpful here.

I wouldn't worry about this.  I think we have been conditioned by the big TV industry to expect multi-year contracts with an initial low first year followed by rising prices that are difficult to get out of.  That is NOT our plan.  To prove it, we are offering a fixed low price for this whole year and then we will have to earn your renewal with another competitive offer.

So is it only discounted for the first year?  I can't promise the same deal to exist forever.  By necessity the deal will change because we are adding more content all of the time.  The library will be much bigger by this time next year.  (BTW, you get access to the new content as it grows throughout this year.) This doesn't mean that we won't offer another discount to continue in the program.  Our goal is to significantly increase the number of churches who can access this material over time.  If we can get enough participation, I would expect your church subscription offer to become even sweeter (analogous to how Amazon Prime's offer keeps getting better.)  So the bottom line for churches that decide to partner with us this month, is that you can expect your renewal offer next year to be compelling.  

Posts 6483
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 5:50 PM

Bob, you might get more on board if you allowed Churches to try one month at a time, and then offer a discount for a year.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 3220
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 6:12 PM

Bob Pritchett:

I don't see the benefit of subscribing for one person.

I wouldn't merely want to watch a course video to get an introduction for a segment. I would want to complete the readings and activities that are a part of the course, for a much deeper education. That $1000 subscription is money I would put towards resources.

Bob Pritchett:

We've tried using Community Pricing in a few experiments to get per-course cost down (we got one to $43!), but we still have a problem in that not everyone would choose that course, and even at $43 not everyone would take each of the 100+ courses. (It would still be $4,300 for 100 courses...)

I'd buy 100 courses, if the price were $43/course, instead of currently paying $250-300 for individual courses.

Surely such a large course bundle would be similar to savings for library packages, where you could get courses at 90% off.

Posts 50
LogosEmployee
John Schwandt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 6:17 PM

Rick Ausdahl:

I think it's an awesome idea and would like to present it the pastoral staff at my church.  But before doing that, I'd like a better understanding of things like:

• Who among those attending the church would be eligible to view the courses?  Only official members?  Regular attenders even if not members?  Semi-regular attenders?  Visitors?
  • What would those who are eligible have to do to view the courses?
  • What would the church staff have to do to ensure courses were only viewed by those who are eligible?

Thanks for the great questions.

A church purchases a subscription size based on their average weekly attendance.  During the purchase process the church is provided with a Faithlife group (if they don’t already have one).  We also provide onboarding instructions and links for you to send to the congregation so everyone in your church can join or follow the group.  Then when someone wants to watch the content on the web or setup a Faithlife channel on their Roku or Apple TV, we will know whether they are part of your Church’s Faithlife group and grant access on that basis.  The church administration has control over the group and can remove people.  Since the church size is based on an average, one would expect some of the semi-regular attenders to be included, presumably those more regular than not.

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 6:20 PM

Now I felt like my subscription to Mobile Ed for $500 was a VERY BAD purchase..knowing that by subscribing to this one is a cheaper way PLUS its for the church (more people/better license deal)

Also my current subscription to Mobile Ed is a BAD DEAL because I only got limited access to the videos where as the new subscription gets ALL accesses to the mobile ed videos.

To make things worse, there not even any new video on this month of OCT.

I feel cheated with this.

Posts 3220
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 6:57 PM

mike:

Now I felt like my subscription to Mobile Ed for $500 was a VERY BAD purchase..knowing that by subscribing to this one is a cheaper way PLUS its for the church (more people/better license deal)

Also my current subscription to Mobile Ed is a BAD DEAL because I only got limited access to the videos where as the new subscription gets ALL accesses to the mobile ed videos.

To make things worse, there not even any new video on this month of OCT.

The difference at this point, is that the Mobile Ed subscription got you access to a course, but this church offering is only for the videos, not a complete course itself.

If church members want to take a course, rather than simply watch its videos, they'd have to buy the course separately.

But for anyone who only wanted to watch videos, but not do any of the actual course readings and activities, this new church subscription is the cheapest way to accomplish that.

Posts 898
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 6:58 PM

mike:

13 “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? 14 Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS