TIP of the day: Best answers of the week

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 23862
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 16 2016 9:56 PM

How do I get my lexicon to highlight references to the verse I am viewing?

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Turn on the "Emphasize active references" visual filter in your lexicon resource.

How do I find resources that reference my text?

MJ. Smith:

Use the Cited By tool

it doesn't work for resources that are merely paginated (see image below), which rules out most of my commentaries, journal articles, and monographs.

How do I find references from other books in my library to this particular book?

Todd Phillips:

I usually just do a full text search for the title.  If the title is a common one, then I also search for the author near it. Depending on how an author cites, it may just give hits in a resource's bibliography, but at least I know that a citation is probably there somewhere.

This search gives good results for me, though I suspect a few may slip through:

"Jerome’s Commentary on Daniel" OR  (Jerome WITHIN 1 words "Commentary on Daniel")

Fr Devin Roza:

The typical tool you would use for this is the Cited By tool. It is designed to look through your Library to find references to wherever you happen to be, and works well with authors that have datatypes that are often cited, such as the Summa Theologica, Church Fathers, etc.

Many of the Church Father's works have datatype references that are specific to them (e.g. search your Library for <JustinMartyr Justin Martyr, First Apology>).

If that is the case with this commentary, you should be able to get the Cited By tool to work with it, or just search for that reference. If not, you'll be stuck with more basic searches - things like Jerome NEAR Daniel. 

Todd Phillips:

BTW, the WITHIN operator doesn't seem to work correctly with footnotes:

For example, I found that "Jerome's" WITHIN 1 words "Commentary on Daniel" doesn't give footnote hits, whereas "Jerome's" WITHIN 0 words "Commentary on Daniel" does give footnote hits:

So it's probably best to do both types of matches.  This gives the most hits for me:

"Jerome’s Commentary on Daniel"  OR  (Jerome WITHIN 1 words "Commentary on Daniel") OR (Jerome WITHIN 0 words "Commentary on Daniel")

Todd Phillips:

Usually the best way to find a citation format is to right click in the resource, select the reference on the right, and the select Cited-By on the left:

This gives a Cited By window.  I then removed the reference numbers to only refer to the whole book:

Looks like the self-references in that book are the only tagged references found in my library.  Hence the need for the full text search.

How do I get Copy Verses to use a particular font?

Richard Wardman:

You can create a Copy Bible Verse style in Logos and specify which styles in MS Word you want to paste into. 

For example, I have a Style in MS Word called "Sermon Quote." It's exactly how I want Bible verses formatted in my sermon notes. 

In Copy Bible Verses I created a Style called "Sermon Quotes" where I specified that I wanted verses copied from here to be pasted into my "Sermon Quote" style in Word. 

This wiki page is particularly helpful - https://wiki.logos.com/Copy_Bible_Verses#Copy_Bible_Verses_Syntax

I'm pretty sure it works the same in Word for Mac.

Richard's method is effective if what you want in Word is always the same font. Otherwise, you can also change your resource font on the fly by using the "set default Resource font to fontname" in the command box, do your copying and then run the command again to your previous font.

You can actually just type "set font" (easier to remember) and the command will be invoked in the drop-down suggestion list.

How do I search the Bible for "if" as a first class conditional followed by "then"?

Fr Devin Roza:

If you right click on a first class conditional, you can actually see that tag in the context menu. You can then select it, and choose "search this resource (inline)" and search for the first class conditionals. Here is the search string it creates for you:

{Section <GrammaticalConstructions = 1st Condition>} 

Verbum can also search for the protosis or apodosis. Following the same procedure, here is the search for the apodosis:

{Section <GrammaticalConstructions = Apodosis>}

And to find the word "then" inside of the apodosis:

(<Lemma = lbs/el/ἆρα>, <Lemma = lbs/el/οὖν>) WITHIN {Section <GrammaticalConstructions = Apodosis>})

You can then combine those, and make sure both a first class condition and an apodosis with then are found in the same verse:

((<Lemma = lbs/el/ἆρα>, <Lemma = lbs/el/οὖν>) WITHIN {Section <GrammaticalConstructions = Apodosis>}) AND {Section <GrammaticalConstructions = 1st Condition>}

Finally, if you really want to get precise, use INTERSECTS instead of AND. That will make sure that the "then" is really the "then" of the first class conditional. This search is really nice:

((<Lemma = lbs/el/ἆρα>, <Lemma = lbs/el/οὖν>) WITHIN {Section <GrammaticalConstructions = Apodosis>}) INTERSECTS {Section <GrammaticalConstructions = 1st Condition>}

Wow, that's a long search - but mostly done by just pointing and clicking! Also, note that you can run this search on your English reverse-interlinear, even though you are searching for Greek words behind the English.

How do I attach notes to long passages?

This is so simple that we might not think about it. Scenario: you want to add a note to say, the whole of the Sermon on the Mount. One option, is to try to select the whole text from the Bible resource window. So you hold and drag. You will quickly find out that this is most annoying. 

Solution: Just open your note file, click on Add Note, then click on the arrow pointing down top right of the new note window and select "Edit attachment points". Enter Mt 5-7 (for the Sermon on the Mount), wait for it to appear in the list of suggestion, then click on the little arrow in the reference box.

NB: If you do not click on the little arrow in the reference box but on "Attach to current selection," the note will be attached to the specific Bible you were using at the time. The procedure described in the paragraph above attaches to the reference only, not to a specific resource.

BTW, this functionality also means that you can quickly create Bible notes without even having a Bible open.

How can I search personal letters?

I right-clicked on the name Athanasius at the top of one of his letters, and it gave me this syntax, which appears to work. 

{Label Personal Letter WHERE Author ~ <Biography Athanasius of Alexandria>}

Dave Hooton:

I right-clicked on the name Athanasius at the top of one of his letters, and it gave me this syntax

That's the best way to get syntax when you know a place where the text is tagged.

The Help file resource, under Searchable Labels, shows the syntax + an example  {Label Personal Letter WHERE Author ~ <Biography C. S. Lewis>}

The datatype <Biography> has to be used. To get the correct name type Athanasius in a Search box and select a Person symbol with description that matches e.g. Athanasius of Alexandria. This will then give you <Biography Athanasius of Alexandria>, for the label search!

Is Instone-Brewer indexed in the Ancient Literature Section?

MJ. Smith:

The Instone-Brewer's resource is not part of the materials indexed for the dataset. However, if it contains a document which is in an indexed resource then that document will be available linked based upon your prioritization of resources containing that document. Your prioritization could make that Instone-Brewer.

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):

As MJ said, the dataset isn't simply links to particular editions of source resources. We use data type references which link to scheme (like a Bible reference opening any Bible) instead of resource.

Instone-Brewer's work does go into the mix that provides the resultant links for Judaica material (as do several other resources). If it isn't listed in the documentation resource, it should be (I'll look into that). So searching the dataset for an NT reference may provide a link to the Judaica material that has been influenced by Instone-Brewer's work. Whether Instone-Brewer is the resource you see that material in is dependent upon whether or not Instone-Brewer indexes by that scheme, is indexed to that reference, and your scheme (resource) priorities. 

What is the Search cookbook?

It's just a summary word for the Logos-provided search syntax examples you see in the Search window tabs 

Todd Phillips:

A cookbook gives you predefined recipes to get particular results--which is what what the search examples page does.  Though no actual cooking is involved.  Stick out tongue

See here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookbook#Usage_outside_the_world_of_food

How do I search for Irenaeus' views on Christ?

Dave Hooton:

There are milestones for the first book " Irenaeus against heresies" in ANF1, but none for "the lost writings". So you can use  (jesus, christ, "son of God") WITHIN {Milestone <Irenaeus  ~Irenaeus, Against Heresies>}  for the former. I got the <Reference> from the Context menu by running a Search.

Otherwise search ANF1 for (jesus, christ, "son of God") and go to the last page of results for "the lost writings".

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 143
Gerald Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 8:03 AM

Thanks for all the help you give us via Tip of the Day etc. Really much appreciated.

Just wondering if there is a way to gather all your "Tips" together for easy access.

Posts 18938
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 8:12 AM

Gerald Rodgers:
Just wondering if there is a way to gather all your "Tips" together for easy access.

Some thoughts of this at https://community.logos.com/forums/p/120690/789610.aspx 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS