What happens to our library if faithlife goes under?

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2016 7:12 AM

Michael Childs:

I have been buying most of my books from Logos / Faithlife for over 20 years now.  I have never lost a book in all that time.  Can't say that about my paper library.  If my computer crashes and I lose my books, I just download them again.  Books I bought 20 years ago as just as good - no better - than when I bought them.  (Better due to improvements in the software, as well as updates of the books.)  Sure can't say that about my paper books that I bought 20 years ago.

Cut to the chase, my Logos books are more secure and safer than any paper book I ever bought.

Yes I agree with this completely.

Posts 681
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2016 7:18 AM

Matt Hamrick:
Sure can't say that about my paper books that I bought 20 years ago.

Except for when a terrestrial (or solar) E.M.P. strikes.

For those who don't know - research Electro-Magnetic Pulse.

Shalom

Posts 520
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2016 7:18 AM

Michael Childs:

I have been buying most of my books from Logos / Faithlife for over 20 years now.  I have never lost a book in all that time.  Can't say that about my paper library.  If my computer crashes and I lose my books, I just download them again.  Books I bought 20 years ago as just as good - no better - than when I bought them.  (Better due to improvements in the software, as well as updates of the books.)  Sure can't say that about my paper books that I bought 20 years ago.

Cut to the chase, my Logos books are more secure and safer than any paper book I ever bought.

from Logos's past history and their current situation , I hope & believe we're in good hands. Even If the worst comes there are a lot of developers who may or could support it''continuation through open-source "Logos " software. There are thousands of people who've heavily invested on it , who won't let it go in vain. I believe we'll come together and make it happen. No worries! I'll keep investing as needed. It's my prayer and support that Logos may live and be a blessing  for thousands of people in years to come. Keep up the good job you're doing! 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2016 9:39 AM

Denise:
Best bet: do the minimum you NEED.

The challenge will be to honestly separate NEEDS from WANTS.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2016 10:10 AM

Future Prodigy:
Are all the books we purchase installed locally  on our computers hard drive  or is it  cloud service and synced remotely? 

Logos, Verbum, and Noet applications have resources installed and indexed locally so can work offline.

Logos wiki => Online Only has items that become unusable without Faithlife Cloud.

Logos wiki also has => Quick Installation onto multiple computers and => Quick Installation onto Multiple Macs

Personally use scan command to quickly copy resources from one installation to my other installations (followed by indexing). Thankful can have many installations on my devices with my library, which is useful if a device quits working.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 317
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2016 9:04 PM

Faithlife will never go under with customers like ME! Wink

Since using Logos I have little motivation to do research with my printed library. It's really a no brainer.

Director

Elyon Family Clinic & Surgery Pte Ltd

Singapore

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2016 9:44 PM

God's Word would go on as well as His will. I view my investment as not just in my own future use but the very real spreading of His Word now by this community and tool.

Posts 750
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 21 2016 3:51 PM

After a quick read of this thread, I did not notice anyone point out an obvious point: Logos will allow you to install the software and books on as many PC's and devices as you wish.  Thus, if there ever was an "endgame", you can have it on multiple computers and run them until they drop.  You would have Logos feature access until the last one won't work. 

At least one person in our Logos users group is running an older version of Logos on Windows XP.  The machine is at least seven years old and about 3 years out of Logos support.

Posts 2820
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 21 2016 7:49 PM

I guess we just have to have something to worry about.  I would guess that you are more likely to be hit by a meteor - or have computer hit by a meteor - and be killed than to lose the resources you have perchased from Logos.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 494
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 21 2016 8:01 PM

Without too much work its not too difficult to convert books to PDF. If Logos ever when under, that's what I would do.

Posts 1
Vince | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2017 1:55 PM

I have shared this concern as well and spent some great deal of time digging into the issue and talking with Logos Reps. Here's what I've found:

1. My concern was less about where my stuff physically is. Resources in Logos are downloaded to my computers. The issue is that the resources require Logos to be readable. They are in a proprietary format, unlike say a PDF that will likely live quite long.

2. If Logos were to die as a company a long time from now what happens? I am no afraid of them dying short-term - they have huge customer base. But perhaps 30 years from now? Eventually development on software would stop and within about 4-5 years their software wouldn't run on my Mac's operating systems anymore. THIS IS THE TRUE DANGER! WHAT HAPPENS TO MY BOOKS AT THIS POINT!

3. I actually received a satisfying answer from my Logos rep today. Logos 7 features a Print/Export option. They do allow you to export resources to either print or save as Text & PDF Documents. The process is slightly cumbersome. For instance PDF's have 100 page limits, so you'd have to split a 500 page resource into 5 different PDFs and combine them after export, which can be done! The point is there DOES exist an avenue through which the resources you buy could (painstakingly but possibly) be brought out of Logos if they were to fold. 

As long as that is an option, there is a viable path forward for the books I buy and own through Logos, should the worst ever happen and development cease! 

Posts 51
Eduardo Espiritu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2017 5:19 PM

Paranoid backup calls for a Virtual Box windows install that can move to any new hardware you purchase. A legit windows license is about $50 if you shop. Virtual Box is a freebie from Oracle. Backup on Amazon S3 is would be under $10/yr unless you have purchased everything.

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2017 5:56 PM

There is no need to worry...that is a waste of time Smile There are more important things to focus on. Otherwise we could sit around all day and find something to worry about. 

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2017 9:57 PM

Vince:
If Logos were to die as a company a long time from now what happens? I am no afraid of them dying short-term - they have huge customer base. But perhaps 30 years from now? Eventually development on software would stop and within about 4-5 years their software wouldn't run on my Mac's operating systems anymore.

Welcome Big Smile

VirtualBox on Mac host can legally have macOS or OS X guest virtual machine(s). VirtualBox is open source, which is updated several times a year.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 52
Ezra Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2017 2:32 PM

Olive Tree is really good. They have a different Base packaging method. Instead of getting a variety of resources, OT will get you a NKJV set with commentaries and dictionaries that go along with the NKJV. Cheaper? By far. But OT is targeting a different audience than Logos. Logos is more for scholar work and research and the foreign language user. OT is more for the layman and college students. So Logos is more money, but you get a cool study environment. OT is more into getting you to read your bible and disect it.

Posts 52
Ezra Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2017 2:38 PM

If you are ultra paranoid of losing your library, but don't want to spend a lot of money, checkout thriftbooks.com. I have been buying from them for the last 3 months. The reason? Cheap books. Something like under $4 per book. And then free shipping for orders over $15 and then each order earns you rewards for a coupon you can use whenever you want. I wanted to start buying printed commentaries because it's far cheaper and I buyour one or two from each series. So I bought some Jay Vernon Mcgee, some out of print commentaries from the 70s that are the right size for me.

Posts 608
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2017 4:26 PM

I am pretty sure that faithlife would do whatever it takes to give us access to all our books indefinitely - seriously, they are an ethical Christ centered company and that would drive them to support us.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2017 4:45 PM

Ezra Miller:
So Logos is more money, but you get a cool study environment. OT is more into getting you to read your bible and disect it.

My favorite Logos and Verbum feature is visual filter highlighting that combines hundreds (thousands) of search results for simultaneous display so can "see" range of Greek verbal expression that is often not translated into English plus much more (for disecting and prayerful consideration):

Screen shot shows combination of propositional outlines with Greek Discourse emphasis and Greek Morphology along with Precept graphics (for repeating themes and topics). Thankful for insights into original author's emphasis in verbal expression plus word placement.

Logos wiki has => Examples of visual filters

Personal speculation is if a business (persecution) reason causes Faithlife to go under, then anticipate other Bible software also being adversely affected.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS