Suggested Improvements to Resource Panel Toolbar Area

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 151
Willie | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 17 2016 7:31 PM

I’ve recently submitted the five UserVoice suggestions reflected below.  All are intended to improve a user’s visual interaction with the Resource Panel Toolbar area so that a user can more comfortably focus on resource text with minimal distraction.  Although I believe any one of these suggestions could be beneficial on its own, maximum flexibility and customization could be achieved by implementing them all.

Under each link, I’ve included a brief synopsis of each suggestion; however, a more detailed explanation can be found by clicking on the link.  If you agree with any of these suggestions, please consider supporting the idea with your UserVoice vote.

Add Option to Hide Entire Row of Resource Panel Elements Located Beneath Panel Tab (Book Cover Icon, Reference Box, Toolbar, etc.)   https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-7/suggestions/16517884-add-option-to-hide-entire-row-of-resource-panel-el           

Add an option to hide the entire row of Resource Panel elements located beneath the Panel Tab and above the Locator Bar (Book Cover Icon, Reference Box, Toolbar, Back/Forward Arrows, History Drop-down, and Info button).  This could be accomplished by adding an option within the Resource Panel Menu (perhaps titled “Show Expanded View”).  A corresponding one click keyboard shortcut as well as a single mouse click on the Panel Tab of any opened resource could be used to toggle this option on or off. 

This option would noticeably increase the panel reading space within a normal multi-tiled layout while keeping the functionality of the panel menu, reference box, toolbar, back/forward arrows, history drop-down, and Info button only one click away.

Add An Option to Hide the Resource Panel Toolbar   https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-7/suggestions/16517764-add-an-option-to-hide-the-resource-panel-toolbar 

This could be accomplished by adding a "Show Toolbar" option within the Resource Panel Menu along with a corresponding one click keyboard shortcut which could be used to toggle this option on or off.  This option could also be controlled through a single mouse click within any empty space of the panel’s main text area.  All other elements to the left or right of the toolbar would remain (e.g., Book Cover Icon, Reference Box) as well as the Panel Tab above it and (if selected) the Locator Bar below it.

Hiding the Resource Panel Toolbar would allow users to comfortably focus on resource text as they study within a multi-tiled layout while still having the functionality of the toolbar available with one click.

Add An Option to Hide Any Individual Button Within the Resource Panel Toolbar   https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-7/suggestions/16517689-add-an-option-to-hide-any-individual-button-within 

This could be accomplished by adding a new section in either the Program Settings or Panel Menu with on/off choices for each toolbar button. In addition, “Show (Name of Feature)” options corresponding to each toolbar feature could be added to the Panel Menu for situations in which a user might wish to access a feature without unhiding its button.  Two of these options already exist in the Panel Menu (Show Interlinear Pane and Show Inline Search).

Another way to accomplish this would be to right click anywhere within the Resource Panel Toolbar to view a drop-down list of feature buttons to hide or unhide.

This suggestion would allow a user to hide the toolbar button of any seldom used feature or any button a user finds particularly distracting.  One could also hide the button of any feature he/she routinely accesses through means other than the toolbar such as the Context Menu.

Allow Users to Select Any Resource Panel Toolbar Button From a Set of Available Button Choices https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-7/suggestions/16518796-allow-users-to-select-any-resource-panel-toolbar-b 

This could be done in the same manner as what is currently done with the Shortcut Bar (only with more options).  Although any one of the current default buttons could be used, one would not be forced to accept these and could instead select any button from a set of available choices.

Change the Multiview Resources Button on the Resource Panel Toolbar to a Less Distracting Button Design   https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-7/suggestions/16517521-change-the-multiview-resources-button-on-the-resou

The Multiview Resources button with its three vertical line pattern, appears to my eyes to dominate the other buttons on the toolbar as well as the text below it.  This creates a significant visual distraction as I attempt to focus on text within resources and perform other program functions.  I recommend it be replaced with a simpler, less “busy”, less distracting design.  (This suggestion only relates to this feature’s toolbar button.  It is not meant to be a criticism of the feature itself which is very useful.)

Posts 98
JJ Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 18 2016 8:47 PM

New Button Option:  Display Author's Last Name.  

For those of us who know authors and know resources based NOT on Series title, but the author name, to NOT have easy access to see Author Last Name is a real limitation that has never been addressed with Logos. This could be easy way to address.  

I am doing a study in Ephesians, I want to know that I am now reading Lincoln, or Obrien or Hoerhner, or etc, etc. 

Posts 151
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 22 2016 6:14 PM

JJ Miller:

For those of us who know authors and know resources based NOT on Series title, but the author name, to NOT have easy access to see Author Last Name is a real limitation that has never been addressed with Logos.....   

I am doing a study in Ephesians, I want to know that I am now reading Lincoln, or Obrien or Hoerhner, or etc, etc. 

Hi J.J.,

I recently learned from a thread in the General Forum that we can open a resource’s Information Pane and either edit or replace the title, short title, or both with whatever we want (e.g., the author’s last name).  After doing that, the resource’s Panel Tab will always reflect whatever change we made.  Here is a link to the thread.  I hope you find it helpful.   https://community.logos.com/forums/t/132058.aspx

Having a program setting which could easily switch the default display of the Panel Tab from book title to author’s name would be a convenient feature, but instead of adding another toolbar button, maybe it could be implemented as an option within Program Settings or the Panel Menu.  I personally would not be in favor of adding any more buttons to the Resource Panel Toolbar for reasons reflected in my initial post which requested support for UserVoice suggestions to reduce visual distractions and clutter in the Resource Panel Toolbar area.

Respectfully

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 22 2016 8:34 PM

Willie:

JJ Miller:

For those of us who know authors and know resources based NOT on Series title, but the author name, to NOT have easy access to see Author Last Name is a real limitation that has never been addressed with Logos.....   

I recently learned from a thread in the General Forum that we can open a resource’s Information Pane and either edit or replace the title, short title, or both with whatever we want (e.g., the author’s last name). 

Titles can also be edited in Library (I)

For some Bibles, changed "The" to Author's last name. Some Bibles have (Author) near end of title.

Personally added year prefix to many Bibles so sorting alphabetically is chronological. After year, now have a single letter for Language:

• a = Arabic
  • d = Deutsch (German)
  • f = French
  • g = Greek
  • h = Hebrew
  • L = Latin (used upper case that looks different than 1)
  • s = Spanish

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS